• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#541 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 31 July 2019 - 0927 AM

CA plates are one thing, just don't have Lakers stickers or you're guaranteed to be pulled over.

Eww... the NBA.  /shudders

Yeah, I remember being surprised last year how fast most folks were going.  I was a bit hesitant because here in AZ highway patrol is bloody everywhere and I simply didn't know the roads or where a good hiding spot would be for them.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the traffic again once you hit Provo on up.  I feel bad for everyone up there.  My friend was saying something like 90% of the state population lives in that stretch of urban sprawl against a mountain chain with all of ONE freeway connecting everyone.  Last year I left at 5 in the morning and traffic was still congested til south of Provo.  :blink:

I understand there was no way to know the area would grow like it has but from what my friend was saying there really aren't any good solutions.  Going to be really painful to get around up there in 10-20 years.

Edited by Skywalkre, 31 July 2019 - 0937 AM.

#542 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 31 July 2019 - 2003 PM

IIRC everything from about Nephi south is 85 mph speed limit, and a lot of people are cruising closer to 100 mph most of the time. I've set cruise to 90 mph and stay in the left lane as too many people passing me at that speed.

Your friend is correct, majority of the population is in the 60 mile corridor between Provo and Ogden, bounded on the East by Wasatch mountains and the West by Great Salt Lake, Utah Lake and another small mountain range. The corridor probably averages about 10 miles in width with somewhere around 2.5 million people. It is bottlenecked in a number of places, the stretch from Provo north past point of the mountain is probably the worst, there really are no alternate routes available. Salt lake to the north is a bit better, but the gap between mountains and lake is probably < 2 miles at Farmington, you have US 89 (2 lanes) right along the foothills, I 15 (6 lanes) < 1/2 mile to the west, Legacy hwy (4 lanes) another 1/8 mile west and Farmington bay maybe another 1/4 - 1/2 mile west.

Its much more difficult to get around than it was when I started driving, and will only get worse. Fortunately most new growth is in Utah county, which I avoid like the plague and only drive through through to get somewhere far away from Provo. Davis and Weber counties are really running out of open land for more population. 

BTW, where in the valley are you going to be visiting/staying?

#543 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 02 August 2019 - 1534 PM

According to google it's Sandy.  He's right off the 15 there by a Costco and some massive sporting goods store.

#544 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,726 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0520 AM

We run to the sound of guns:  https://www.breitbar...ke-out-shooter/

#545 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • 29,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0557 AM

A little different than the Parkland response.

#546 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,726 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0558 AM

A little different that the Parkland response.

Very much so.

#547 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,726 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 0751 AM

Police suicides are on a rapid increase:  https://www.city-jou...police-suicides

#548 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,563 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 19 August 2019 - 1055 AM

Witnesses didn’t say a bank robber had facial tattoos. So police digitally altered a suspect’s mugshot.

https://beta.washing...oshop-mug-shot/

#549 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 0322 AM

On the flip side for a moment.

A police officer in Thames Valley Police was killed when a vehicle he stopped was driven away, dragging him with it.

Given the nature of the incident, it comes as no surprise that the "traveller" community appears to be involved.

https://www.bbc.co.u...ngland-49368649

#550 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,726 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 0513 AM

When Police unionize, apparently corruption increases according to a study: https://www.ksat.com...-research-shows  Unions=Corruption?  

#551 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 0614 AM

Any organisation structure can be compromised by corruption. Adding a second organisation to the existing one is bound to increase the likelihood, especially given the union's interests are only loosely aligned with those of the original one.

#552 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,077 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 20 August 2019 - 0641 AM

Main factor is probably just scale. A department with enough officers to form a union will be in a city big enough to have corruption going on.

IOW, the cause is a culture of corruption, the effect is unionization.

#553 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 2345 PM

Is it really size?  Those speed-trap small towns that litter the American countryside are the definition of corrupt and their size is miniscule.

I'd think it has more to do with the purpose of the organization.  Unions are inherently selfish.  That works out fine when they're established to push back against exploitative/dangerous conditions.  Past that point they basically have no useful purpose.  The problem with unions, as with so many human organizations, is that once they get past that point of usefulness they're not noble enough to rein themselves in.  Instead they simply aim to line their pockets, be it all their members or just the folks running things.

#554 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1155 AM

https://abc7.com/sho...caster/5484147/

​

Turns out he used a knife on himself.

​

https://www.dailymai...hot-sniper.html

#555 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,849 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1228 PM

Is it really size?  Those speed-trap small towns that litter the American countryside are the definition of corrupt and their size is miniscule.

Hang about. What sort of speed traps? The ones where the city has a slower speed limit (sidewalks, crossings, slow cross turning traffic) and people zip through at 50mph and they naturally there are accidents?

Or speed traps like in there were in Ludowici, Ga and which the Georgia Governor squashed like a bug once it became an issue?

The former doesn't count. The latter does.

#556 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,788 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1609 PM

Police or other government, SINGLE SOURCE OF FORCIBLE SERVICE unions have little/nothing to do with unions in the private sector.  S/F...Ken M

#557 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1655 PM

Hang about. What sort of speed traps? The ones where the city has a slower speed limit (sidewalks, crossings, slow cross turning traffic) and people zip through at 50mph and they naturally there are accidents?

Or speed traps like in there were in Ludowici, Ga and which the Georgia Governor squashed like a bug once it became an issue?

The former doesn't count. The latter does.

Like the ones I ran into last week in southern UT.  Winding canyon roads with a limit of 65.  You come around a sharp bend and are suddenly met with a limit of 35 and have no option but to slam on the breaks.  Not like anything's there immediately.  Tourist country as well so makes me wonder how much revenue these towns pull in from 'speeders'.

Those places and your example are all small towns.  Size wasn't what made them what they were.

#558 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1656 PM

Police or other government, SINGLE SOURCE OF FORCIBLE SERVICE unions have little/nothing to do with unions in the private sector.  S/F...Ken M

I dunno.  I'm effectively in one.  Everything I've seen mirrors all the bad I've seen from public sector unions.

#559 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1700 PM

Heh...

Deputy faked being shot by sniper. Law enforcement: Angry, embarrassed, furious, ashamed

A Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy falsely claimed last week he was shot by a sniper at the Lancaster sheriff’s station. He’ll now be the subject of a criminal investigation, officials said late Saturday.

The dramatic twist in the case came after days of fruitless searches for a gunman who authorities believed had shot the deputy. The incident prompted the manhunt and massive police response, with much of the focus on an apartment building next to the station.

“The reported sniper assault was fabricated by our deputy,” Assistant Sheriff Robin Limon said at an unusual 11 p.m. news conference at the department’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters.

On Sunday morning, a message was posted on the Facebook page of the Lancaster sheriff’s station about the admission by Deputy Angel Reinosa:

“Angry. Embarrassed. Furious. Unbelievable. Ashamed. These are some of the words circulating our station’s hallways since last night as our deputies try to wrap their minds around last night’s press conference surrounding the incident that occurred in our parking lot on Wednesday, August 21, 2019.”

Reinosa, 21, claimed he was struck in the chest about 2:50 p.m. Wednesday as he walked to his car in the employee parking lot at the Lancaster station, authorities said. At the time, investigators believed Reinosa’s bulletproof vest had saved his life but that a bullet had grazed his shoulder.

But much of the deputy’s statement “was self-serving and didn’t make a whole lot of sense,” said Sheriff’s Capt. Kent Wegener. No bullets were recovered from the scene.

“There were many things that didn’t add up,” Wegener said.

Though Reinosa was initially taken to a hospital for treatment, detectives said they later saw “no visible injuries,” Wegener said.

Investigators and colleagues became suspicious of Reinosa’s story on the day of the shooting. His radio call about the incident was too calm even for a veteran, a hole in his shirt too big for the minor wound he claimed to have suffered, several sheriff’s officials told the L.A. Times on Sunday.

Deputies and the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau halted their search for the suspected gunman, officials said, and homicide detectives, assisted by forensic experts, turned their attention to Reinosa. By 9:30 p.m. that day, Reinosa was already under heavy suspicion.

Reinosa eventually admitted to investigators that “he was not shot as previously claimed,” Wegener said. The deputy said he used a knife to cut two holes in his shirt.

But Reinosa failed to provide an explanation for his motive for fabricating the story, Wegener said.

Reinosa had been with the Sheriff’s Department for a year and joined the Lancaster station in May for patrol training.

https://www.latimes....uthorities-said

#560 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1719 PM

Posted at 12:55 Skywalkre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users