11 replies to this topic

#1 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1007 AM

So I replaced my CPU (fx6300 for fx8750) in my desktop as well as upgraded my ram. I also upgraded my gpu as mentioned in another thread.

With all these extra parts around and my obsession with not wasting anything, I figured I'd make another pc.

I also wanted a new system to run my neurofeedback software, since it strains the cpu on the laptop I currently have it installed on.

So far here are the parts for it:

AMD FX5300
Thermaltake Versa H17 chassis
ASUS M5A78L-M Plus USB3 motherboard
2GB gpu
8gb ram dd3 (was on the desktop. when I added 16gb of ram to it I figured that was enough)
Thermaltake Smart 500W PowerPoint
Silenx 140mm fan x2
HP 22eb monitor
TP Link Wireless PCI Express adapter
Windows 10 home edition

Took me a while but mainly because of rookie errors and mishaps. Including:

1) dropping the old CPU and having to reform the pins.
2) not connecting the panel switches onto the right places of the motherboard.
3) TAKING OFF THE FRONT PANEL. They say "don't muscle it." It would've never came off without it.
4) getting the cooler to latch into the board.
5) not realizing the cpu needs power too and figuring out that you can take apart the 8 pin cable.
6) thermal paste is tricky or at least I'm OCD about it.
7) PCI slots weren't aligned well with the ports in the chassis. I'm a little concerned about that.

Installed windows and it runs well. Check the pics below.

This was kind of addicting...

https://postimg.cc/yD7GXVFL
https://postimg.cc/dDTgJNsj
https://postimg.cc/LqCG8rgN
https://postimg.cc/FfTXJY8b

Edited by Stargrunt6, 21 July 2019 - 1021 AM.

#2 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1415 PM

So I replaced my CPU (fx6300 for fx8750) in my desktop as well as upgraded my ram. I also upgraded my gpu as mentioned in another thread.
With all these extra parts around and my obsession with not wasting anything, I figured I'd make another pc.
I also wanted a new system to run my neurofeedback software, since it strains the cpu on the laptop I currently have it installed on.
So far here are the parts for it:
AMD FX5300
Thermaltake Versa H17 chassis
ASUS M5A78L-M Plus USB3 motherboard
2GB gpu
8gb ram dd3 (was on the desktop. when I added 16gb of ram to it I figured that was enough)
Thermaltake Smart 500W PowerPoint
Silenx 140mm fan x2
HP 22eb monitor
TP Link Wireless PCI Express adapter
Windows 10 home edition
Took me a while but mainly because of rookie errors and mishaps. Including:
1) dropping the old CPU and having to reform the pins.
2) not connecting the panel switches onto the right places of the motherboard.
3) TAKING OFF THE FRONT PANEL. They say "don't muscle it." It would've never came off without it.
4) getting the cooler to latch into the board.
5) not realizing the cpu needs power too and figuring out that you can take apart the 8 pin cable.
6) thermal paste is tricky or at least I'm OCD about it.
7) PCI slots weren't aligned well with the ports in the chassis. I'm a little concerned about that.
Installed windows and it runs well. Check the pics below.
This was kind of addicting...https://postimg.cc/yD7GXVFLhttps://postimg.cc/dDTgJNsjhttps://postimg.cc/LqCG8rgNhttps://postimg.cc/FfTXJY8b

Nice, should give you some time before having to upgrade again. And yes it is addictive.

#3 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0821 AM

New System for the kids incoming.  I am going to build them their own desktop which they can share.  

MSI MPG X570 gaming edge mobo
Ryzen 3600 processor (best cost/performance IMHO)
ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon 5700
16 gb DDR 4 3200 Trident RGB ram
Samsung 970 500gb NvME boot drive
Crucial P1 1tb storage drive
San Disk 1024 mb Ultra II (taken from my current desktop- it has the games on it)
Corsair RMx 650 watt gold PSU
NZXT H510i case (white)
Logitech G513 Carbon keyboard (I love this clicky keyboard)- Or let them have my old K70 keyboard which is just gathering dust.
Logitech G502 mouse (I love this mouse)
Logitech G430 headphones
Logittech F310 game controller (taken from my machine)
My old Gateway 2000 speakers ($5 at a garage sale).
ASUS PB277Q monitor 2560x1440 (I have two and they are great monitors).
Winders 10 Home (I wish Linux was able to use iTunes, and MS Office, because if it could I would never touch Windows again, but the kids have to have Office for homework, and if they don't have iTunes they get anxiety since they live on their iPhones).
Office Student edition (No BS Office 365 here, I refuse to pay Danegeld to Microsoft each year).

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 1939 PM

Ok, I updated my system with an EVGA RTX 2070 Super, and two 2 tb SSDs to replace the mechanical hard drives which had come over from my old system.  The new computer is going to the custom builder tomorrow.  I switched to the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi motherboard.  All else is the same.

#5 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 1430 PM

It is at the builder, and I should have it back tomorrow or saturday.  

#6 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 0642 AM

FAST!  Faster than my eight core system.

#7 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 0741 AM

Winders 10 Home (I wish Linux was able to use iTunes, and MS Office, because if it could I would never touch Windows again, but the kids have to have Office for homework, and if they don't have iTunes they get anxiety since they live on their iPhones).

I missed this before. Generally it is a very bad idea to allow kids any access to a computer on which you do finances and other important stuff. Kids will download "free" and cracked software, which are infection vectors for all sorts of stuff including ransomware. It is far cheaper to buy them a beater PC than to pay the ransom.

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 0634 AM

I missed this before. Generally it is a very bad idea to allow kids any access to a computer on which you do finances and other important stuff. Kids will download "free" and cracked software, which are infection vectors for all sorts of stuff including ransomware. It is far cheaper to buy them a beater PC than to pay the ransom.

I agree, I generally don't let them touch my system, but until recently I did not have a gaming computer for the kids.  Now they have their own, and as I have said, it is fast, really fast.  

#9 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 2204 PM

Tentatively looking at Alie Express to build an 8-core, 16-thread Xeon E5-2689 on a new China made LGA 1011 mb. So far coming in < $500 for a 64 gb DDR3 quad channel machine with a 580 RX. A 2019 server license with 5 cals bumps that to about $1k, couple of 10 tb spinning rust and a 500 mb SSD system drive should keep me around $1500 for an awesome home and vm server/ secondary gaming machine. Linux/WINE and a cheaper card can get that back down in the $1k range.

Edited by GregShaw, 05 November 2019 - 2206 PM.

#10 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 2026 PM

Nice.  Hope it goes well.  What Linux distro?

#11 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 2258 PM

Probably just stick with Mint. Got it running on my mother's old Samsung I3 laptop, slow but usable, don't know how well it will scale up to the xeon.

#12 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 0628 AM

Probably just stick with Mint. Got it running on my mother's old Samsung I3 laptop, slow but usable, don't know how well it will scale up to the xeon.

It should run well.  Have you thought about LMDE 3?