9 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 0914 AM

Given Argentina's fiscal situation, does this sale have any realistic chance of being completed?

https://www.janes.co...n-fa-50-fighter

#2 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 1022 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

#3 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 1224 PM

An interesting milestone if it is completed, as it would represent the entry of Asia into a market sector that has more often seen it on the purchasing end.

#4 Mad Mike

Mad Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 1234 PM

Given Argentina's fiscal situation, does this sale have any realistic chance of being completed?

Short answer- No. Longer answer- Fuck, no.

Fuerza Aerea Argentina has been looking to replace their retired Mirages and Scooters for how many decades now? At first they said were going to buy the French Mirage 2000C, then the Spanish Mirage F1s. 

The 2Ks went to Brazil and the F1s to Draken. 

Buenos Aires ain't gonna get a sweetheart deal from the Koreans and there's no guarantee that the US will sign off on the final paperwork. Plus FAA will have to pay for weapons integration if they want to use

Israeli ordnance since the US is NOT VERY INTERESTED in selling Argentina LGBs, Mavericks, laser guided 2.75 inch rockets and/or AIM-9L/Ms; the special relationship hasn't been always been easy but it's 

generally stayed the course.

Mad Mike

#5 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 0954 AM

Short answer- No. Longer answer- Fuck, no.

Fuerza Aerea Argentina has been looking to replace their retired Mirages and Scooters for how many decades now? At first they said were going to buy the French Mirage 2000C, then the Spanish Mirage F1s. 

The 2Ks went to Brazil and the F1s to Draken. 

Buenos Aires ain't gonna get a sweetheart deal from the Koreans and there's no guarantee that the US will sign off on the final paperwork. Plus FAA will have to pay for weapons integration if they want to use

Israeli ordnance since the US is NOT VERY INTERESTED in selling Argentina LGBs, Mavericks, laser guided 2.75 inch rockets and/or AIM-9L/Ms; the special relationship hasn't been always been easy but it's 

generally stayed the course.

Mad Mike

Normally the israelis can adapt nearly any weapon to any platform at a good price. I wouldn't sweat that too much. The TA-50 is built more or less NATO/USAF compatible as are most of Israels offerings, so really it should not bee too hard. 

the problem I see is rather, can Argenitna actually budget and pay for it before the next crash hits them?

#6 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,319 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1301 PM

I'll start worrying when they have a long range, stealthy cruise missile integrated on them. It's not like there aren't quite a few of those on the market now.

#7 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1308 PM

I'll start worrying when they have a long range, stealthy cruise missile integrated on them. It's not like there aren't quite a few of those on the market now.

Not to worry. I think Argentina could just about afford the brochure on those :D

Edited by Dawes, 27 July 2019 - 1308 PM.

#8 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,319 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1313 PM

Not to worry. I think Argentina could just about afford the brochure on those :D

They wouldn't need many...

#9 Arminius

Arminius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Location:Middle Europe, in the land, where life is so nice, there never was a successful revolution
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, women, beer, fine red wines ...

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1500 PM

Not saying against this aircraft, but "Fighting Eagle" is ridiculous.

"Baby Eagle" would be more appropriate.

Hermann

#10 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 1744 PM

A baby eagle for Korea's baby steps into a promising market sector. The rationale for Argentina's decision has been established, even if Argentina's check bounces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users