14788 replies to this topic

#14781 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 PM

A free hand in China would have certainly given Japan options.

What Trump would have done in Roosevelt's place is interesting to contemplate as well.

#14782 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Says here the average number of ambassadors that are political appointees is 30 percent. Under Trump currently it's 45 percent.
https://www.politico...ng-ambassadors/

What makes someone a political appointee? Whether or not the person deciding that they were appointed for good reasons that they approved of or that they disliked and which case they're obviously a political appointee? 

I thought one of Trump's "failures" was not appointing enough ambassadors, now they are saying too many were?

I personally was simply commenting on something that both parties do. I in no way wanted to specifically associate it with Trump. There are many things about him I am not a fan of; this one is universal across party boundaries.

#14783 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM

9-11 happened because the USA had been intervening in Middle East affairs, supporting dictatorships in order to have stability.

9-11 happened because Europe stopped the invasion of the Ottoman Caliphate at Vienna on September 12, 1683.

September 11, 1683 was the last day of expansion of the Islamic world. After the defeat of the Ottomans, the percentage of the world's territory under Islamic rule began shrinking.

OBL had Salafist beliefs, including supremacist Islam.

#14784 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,690 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:01 PM

9-11 happened because the USA had been intervening in Middle East affairs, supporting dictatorships in order to have stability.

9-11 happened because Europe stopped the invasion of the Ottoman Caliphate at Vienna on September 12, 1683.

September 11, 1683 was the last day of expansion of the Islamic world. After the defeat of the Ottomans, the percentage of the world's territory under Islamic rule began shrinking.

9-11 may have happened specifically on 9-11 because of a 400 year historical event, but it happened to the USA specifically because of previous 20th C interventions in the Middle East.

#14785 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Well I'm glad the US had nothing do with it. Yay!

#14786 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted Today, 12:04 AM

The White House presents: Letters from a fifth-grader.

EHBwvqGXUAAVpKg.jpg

#14787 Tim Sielbeck

Tim Sielbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 AM

Hadnt Spain already pushed Islamists out of the Iberian peninsula before that?

Edited by Tim Sielbeck, Today, 12:19 AM.

#14788 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 10 minutes ago

The White House presents: Letters from a fifth-grader.

EHBwvqGXUAAVpKg.jpg

Is this legit? I can get the letterhead of the White house too and fake my own letters.

#14789 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 4 minutes ago

Hadnt Spain already pushed Islamists out of the Iberian peninsula before that?

Yes, on 1492/1/2 Granada was finally taken by the catholic monarch couple. But those were moor not arab rulers. The Vienna sieges are much more prominent in the mind of muslims I think. Also the ottoman empire existed for some centuries after that, so could ponder its defeat.

Though I don't know if the date was really chosen out of historical symbolic significance or just happenstance of how schedules came together.