#2201 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1144 AM

New one one me Brit amphib tank 

mpnvi4nxo1731.jpg​

That looks a lot like an LVT hull with a cruiser turret.

That's about the only way one can have an amphibious tank. The Marine Corps Equipment Board ruled against them in 1934, because they could not be expected to survive the open sea 3-6 miles offshore. The evolution of the amtrac altered that but only slightly. Once out of the water, they are vulnerable targets for direct fire.

#2202 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1539 PM

Did they use DD Shermans in the Pacific?

#2203 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1557 PM

Is this an amazing survival or a replica someone made?

https://youtu.be/6cLOUJSMy9s?t=181

That's neat, I did not know rake plows like that had been around that long. I assumed they were a relatively recent thing. 

#2204 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1703 PM

Did they use DD Shermans in the Pacific?

Too late for anywhere but Okinawa.

The T6 flotation device, much better seaworthiness than the DD tanks using curtains. However the flotation pontoons could be caught by reefs at low tide, etc., leaving the tank stranded.

...The T-6 consists essentially of six steel pontoons;one pontoon on each side of the tank, one on the bow, one on the rear, with bow extension and rear extension pontoons which hinge upward for more compact stowage prior to launching. The six pontoons are compartmented by sheet steel partitions into many sub-compartments; Sub-compartments are filled with plastic foam-to further ensure buoyancy should the pontoons 'become punctured.T-6 floated tanks are seaworthy, having been success-fully tested in twelve foot waves. The floated tank is forty three feet long and therefore provides a fairly stable gun platform, enabling a tank gunner employing the gyrostabilizer to deliver accurate fire during the beachapproach. Compared with LVT(A)ts (amphibious tanks), the floated tank constitutes a more stable gun platform; the higher velocity and greater accuracy of the stabilized tank gun in comparison with the LVT(A) howitzer and the tank's heavier armor, are important advantages. Pontoonsare jettisonable form inside the tank on reaching the beach. Pontoons are remountable and can be reused.T-6 devices, as used on Okinawa, generally provided adequate flotation but needed further development to improve steering, to increase speed above the 4.2 knots obtained by the tank tracks revolving in the water, and to provide a reverse...

The USMC tanks landed at Okinawa from LCM and LSMs, except for one company each in the 1st and 6th Tank Battalions which used the novel T6 pontoon device to swim  tanks into the beach, using their tracks as propulsion.  Sometimes, they struggled to get over the reefs, but they did in fact function as designed, and the tank crews detonated explosive charges to shed the pontoons and went into action, albeit a bit low on fuel.  

One T6-equipped tank apparently brushed with a destroyer, causing wags to claim the only instance of such a collision at sea;

#2205 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1805 PM

mpnvi4nxo1731.jpg​

It does, but the tracks show that it was not a direct rip off.  Form follows function though.

#2206 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1827 PM

mpnvi4nxo1731.jpg​

It does, but the tracks show that it was not a direct rip off.  Form follows function though.

Good catch.  My eye wanted to make the photo distorted, appearing 'squeezed' from the sides (or ends).

#2207 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0950 AM

They seem to be demoing the vehicle to Spanish time travellers from the 17th century.

#2208 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1013 AM

and Albert Speer (third from left)

#2209 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1159 AM

ATI* at Barry Island, based on the Covenanter and using its turret. It was the first of three versions (the others being ATI** and ATI***, of course), and this one was unsprung. The flanges on the track shoes were used as paddles, according to Fletcher, and this machine was eventually scrapped by Curran Bros. of Cardiff.

#2210 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1336 PM

ATI* at Barry Island, based on the Covenanter and using its turret. It was the first of three versions (the others being ATI** and ATI***, of course), and this one was unsprung. The flanges on the track shoes were used as paddles, according to Fletcher, and this machine was eventually scrapped by Curran Bros. of Cardiff.

Tiny bit of trivia I just discovered. Curran Bros built (presumably converted) 60 Matilda Baron Mk IIIA mine clearing tanks.

#2211 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 1936 PM

BYIpMhg.jpg​

I know this one has been here before 

40zjfAk.jpg​

#2212 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 0051 AM

Ouroboros :)

#2213 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 1757 PM

From the Facebook page of Future Tank

1WIX1Rr.jpg

#2214 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 0220 AM

Whenever I see the dumping of AFVs into the sea as artificial reefs or divers' trinkets, I think of the tens of thousands of soldiers of all descriptions who sweated and bled for decades to keep them in code A condition, including this M48A5.

#2215 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 0813 AM

Outstanding 

#2216 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 1336 PM

Wow. Really impressive!

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 06 July 2019 - 1338 PM.

#2217 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 1727 PM

Whenever I see the dumping of AFVs into the sea as artificial reefs or divers' trinkets, I think of the tens of thousands of soldiers of all descriptions who sweated and bled for decades to keep them in code A condition, including this M48A5.

Same here.  

#2218 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 1809 PM

I can't find the clip at the moment, but in the "reality show" Axe Men on The "History" Channel, one of the lumberjack teams had a crane whose chassis and drivetrain were that of an M4 Sherman (one of the lumberjacks commented "That's the tank that won us the war!")

Anyone remember it?

Yep. They're out there. A company in Augusta, Ga (SECO) built some of this sort of stuff for logging (Drag lines), mining and such. I think they usually used M3 chassis instead of M4s as there was less to remove above the hull. But you can also find bits and bobs based off of the various High Speed Tractors and M5 Stuart hulls too. OH Sexton Hulls as well. SECO had a final batch of 6 Sexton Hulls that I lent some Brits tools for the recovery of. 

Civilian%20Shermans%205.jpg

Edited by rmgill, 07 July 2019 - 1811 PM.

#2219 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 2247 PM

Five years ago I saw a drill rig in Nevada over what seemed like a HVSS M4 chassis. The volutes in the suspension had been replaced with coil springs - I'm assuming because of the loss of most of the armor.

#2220 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 1010 AM

Said to be dated in 1981.

m5a1tractor.jpg