Posted 08 December 2018 - 1339 PM

:D

#43 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 1712 PM

Barbi came from his old nick Barbarossa Isegrim.

​

If you think that is quite some thread Stuart you should visit some of the 25lb/150 and 1.98ata threads he participated in.

Edited by MiloMorai, 08 December 2018 - 1753 PM.

#44 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 0256 AM

Its a funny thing, WW2 combat aircraft always used to be my first interest, but ive not looked at any of these forums for some reason. I had thought Sparky was the only truly deranged military poster on the internet, how wrong can you be. :)

#45 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 0553 AM

Not really damaged like barbi but the one called Crumpp/Kettenhunde. He was very knowledgably but would never admit when he was wrong. Threads would go in circles til he could wiggle out of his predicament or got locked. He was at one time a USArmy Green Beret, He became  truly unbearable when he got his private pilot license and a degree in aeronautics from Emery. 

#46 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 1141 AM

I just found another thread on the DCS forum where Kurfurst was putting his oar in about about how thirsty the Merlin is. The entire internet is full of him!

I actually got the collectors plane from IL2 the other day, and its interesting to compare the way the 2 sims impliment the spitfire. The Il2 one (albeit a VB comparing to an IX) compares very similarly to the dcs one. The only differences ive noticed are the high speed stall you get in the DCS one when you use too much aileron, and the DCS one models fairly impressively the torque from the engine. A real handful at low speeds, and proven lots of prangs coming in to land if you pull the throttle of too quick. In comparison, the Il2 model doesnt really model torque much at all, which seems to be the only flaw in a very nice interpretation.

It will be interesting to see what effect the new damage model on DCS has, you can practially one shot FW190's with the Hispano right now.

#47 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0736 AM

I will NEVER purchase a ED/DCS module. 

​

Like I said Stuart, barbi has one BIG hate on for the Brits and especially the Spitfire. He has been around since 2000 when I first came across him on the old OnWar board. He is a lawyer in Hungary. Years ago had a conversation with one of his squadron mates in VO101 who said he was an embarrassment..

#48 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0815 AM

Well I did leave it till the sale, so I only kinda half bought it. :blush: Ill say no more about it, other than its the best model of engine torque ive yet seen in a flight sim.

Ive been kind of sheltered about from this vitriol, like I say ive only of late come back to this from a long time away. I can only put it down to some kind of political bia on his part, and less about the performance of the actual aircraft because its record speaks for itself. The BF109 was nowhere near as amenable to being continually updated as the Spitfire was.

Though I suppose to be honestly fair, that was partly due to the Luftwaffe having a wholly screwed up procurement system. The James Holland book on the Battle of Britain really opened my eyes to how much baggage Udet brought with him.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 10 December 2018 - 0815 AM.

#49 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 0715 AM

Oh there is political bias > pro Nazi and the concensus on why he hates the Spitfire is because it was the first a/c to put a stop to the dominance of his beloved 109, a Nazi icon of dominance.

#50 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,179 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 11 December 2018 - 0920 AM

Well I did leave it till the sale, so I only kinda half bought it. :blush: Ill say no more about it, other than its the best model of engine torque ive yet seen in a flight sim.

Ive been kind of sheltered about from this vitriol, like I say ive only of late come back to this from a long time away. I can only put it down to some kind of political bia on his part, and less about the performance of the actual aircraft because its record speaks for itself. The BF109 was nowhere near as amenable to being continually updated as the Spitfire was.

Though I suppose to be honestly fair, that was partly due to the Luftwaffe having a wholly screwed up procurement system. The James Holland book on the Battle of Britain really opened my eyes to how much baggage Udet brought with him.

Here is a modern stunt/test pilot's take on flying an ME109G, that you might find enjoyable:

https://www.warhisto...experience.html

#51 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1059 AM

Thanks very much  for that.

As for that writer thinking the Spitfire is a kiddy toy, they never had the good fortune to witness a display by the late Ray Hanna. Ironically it was a BF109 (a Buchon) that killed his son.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 11 December 2018 - 1059 AM.

#52 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1208 PM

Hanna, Spitfire, Goodwood 1998

​

#53 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1218 PM

The man was an absolute legend, and proof that there can be old and bold pilots.

I must have seen him display for years. The earliest I can remember would have been about 1980 in Henley on Thames. And Ive a strong feeling he was displaying the same Spitfire he few for years, MH434. Which had an interesting history in itself.

http://www.mh434.com...tory/index.html

#54 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1300 PM

Incidentally speaking of Spitfires, this might be of some interest.

https://archive.org/.../n17?q=spitfire

It says spitfire targets, but at least one of them looks like a Spiteful to me.

#55 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1411 PM

Here is a modern stunt/test pilot's take on flying an ME109G, that you might find enjoyable:

https://www.warhisto...experience.html

Very enjoyable indeed. That man is a poet.

#56 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 1732 PM

Which of the six images? They all seem to have outward retracting undercarriage to me.

#57 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,958 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 0035 AM

I wouldn't say so, Bf-109F was considerable upgrade and superior to contemporary Spitfire. Bf-109K can be seen as equivalent to Griffon designs like XIV. Both had limitations compared to later designs like FW-190 and P-51.

#58 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 0308 AM

Which of the six images? They all seem to have outward retracting undercarriage to me.

Yes, you are right. I was interpreting the mount the wing was sat on as the undercart minus the door, but as you saw the undercarriage well extend outwards. So yes, they are Spitfires.

This was another interesting one, continuous rod warhead tests against Lancaster, Spitfire and B29, including Valiant and Javelin components. Im guessing all these tests were done at Orford Ness, which had a RAE facility there dating back to at least WW2. The Lancaster still shows evidence of its Tiger Force paint scheme.

https://archive.org/...0159341/page/n1

#59 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,983 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 0315 AM

I wouldn't say so, Bf-109F was considerable upgrade and superior to contemporary Spitfire. Bf-109K can be seen as equivalent to Griffon designs like XIV. Both had limitations compared to later designs like FW-190 and P-51.

I think Spitfire was, give or take a model or 2, roughly level with the BF109 up to the F model, which was one hell of a good combat aircraft to give it its due. When the MkIX Spitfire came out, I think the BF109 was really at the end of its development line.  You only have to read in the Haynes book the RAE report on comparative evaluation between the MKXIV and the BF109G, and in the summation it says 'The Spitfire XIV is superior to the ME109G in every respect'.

Course that doesnt count the BF109K, but I get the impression Eric Brown thought the FW190D9 was about the second or third best fighter aircraft of the war. And still inferior to a Mk XIV Spitfire. Tellingly the D9 he flew was apparently a D13, and had some tech the D9 didnt have.

#60 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,958 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 0909 AM

They were flying Bf-109G-2 (or was it G-6), and probably quite worn airframe and engine, so basically 1942 a/c vs 1944 one. Comparison would have been more even with Bf-109G-10.

Spitfire XIV was great, but it was handful to fly, and later marks become downright unfriendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users