Hellfish6

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 1536 PM

Hiya, folks...

What is an Ammunition Train Battalion?

The 76th Tank Battalion of the US Army was formed from the 727th "Ammunition Train Battalion" (formed in 1944, ended the war on Okinawa) in 1946. I haven't found a good reference to what this kind of battalion is. In the Coast Artillery, I see references to "Headquarters and Headquarters Battery and Ammunition Train, Battalion, Antiaircraft" but nowhere do I see an Ammunition Train Battalion.

Could this be a typo of some sort? There was a 727th Railway Operations Battalion that served in Europe in 1944. No 727th Coast Artillery anything, though. Kinda stumped. 

Edit, of course after I hit "post" I tinkered with my search and found there was the 727th Amphibian Tractor Battalion that was formed at Fort Ord and disbanded in 1946 on Okinawa. That's gotta be it. Typo found, OCD alleviated. 

Edited by Hellfish6, 30 April 2020 - 1540 PM.

#2 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 1619 PM

Something got corrupted I suspect.

The U.S. Army did not have "ammunition train battalions" in World War II. All Ordnance battalions consisted of a HQ and HQ Detachment and had no permanent organization. There were Ammunition companies, but they were none that I believe in the 700-series? Typically 700-series Ordnance companies were Aviation, Medium, or Light Maintenance. The "Ammunition Train" were units of the prewar Army, but they were not designated battalions and only numbered through 394.