#21 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 0629 AM

Partial update;

got the CPU, put CPU, cooler, and RAM on the mobo. Unfortunately, the mobo's bottom plate interferes with one of the locking tabs for the side panel, so... scheduling a run to Home Depot for a Dremel tool...

That sucks.  Watch the Jayztwocents videos on case modding.

#22 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,891 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 2208 PM

Got the Dremel tool, did the requisite dremeling, did a partial assembly (no drives aside from the M.2). Passed the smoke test. I put in a bootable thumb drive with the ClearOS installer, got to the "choose your language" screen. Of course, as with all Linux installers, the early dmesg output squawked about rape, murder, and various other errors.

I guess I need to read the directions on the RGB controller for the front case fan; the button on the controller dongle had no discernible logic.

Next step is to try to parse the case instruction sheet and attempt to mount 3 drive innit. Not at all obvious.

Cable management is going to be beyond my mediocre skills, I gotta get one of my former students to take a look. I probably need to get a few cable extenders.

#23 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 0806 AM

Ok, best of luck at it.

#24 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 1742 PM

Finally got my I7 8700 assembled, stupid thing won't boot. Fan on the CPU cooler (Scythe Mugen 5) spins up but nothing else seems to power on. Got a 4x fan splitter running from the single MB header to all other fans, but none of them spin up. Everything seems to be plugged in, but black cables in a black case are not a good combo for 53 yr old eyes.

Edited by GregShaw, 09 March 2020 - 1743 PM.

#25 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 0506 AM

Could it be pulling too much current from the mobo on the 4x?

#26 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 1335 PM

I have an open case sitting un-assembled up in my den. I'll finally build it, then pull the entire 8700k machine out the Corsair 200R case and reassemble it in the open case, where I can see what the hell I'm doing :)

#27 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 1242 PM

Curious about the stock cooler that comes in the box with the new Ryzens (mainly because I don't overclock). I also like to carry over a few legacy components from the previous build if I can, although that might be difficult the next time around.

#28 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 1913 PM

I am using the stock cooler and it works great.

#29 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 1414 PM

Seal of cooler approval acknowledged, thanks for that. A Ryzen, x570 mobo, stick of ram, and a hard drive that looks like a flat stick now ordered. Am going to try and legacy over everything else.

#30 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 1914 PM

My 1700 stays real cool on the stock cooler.

#31 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 2329 PM

Having some issues with the new hard drive that looks like a flat stick, mainly, getting the new board to recognize the thing. Figured out how to get it into the board though.

Going to have to play with some bios settings.

#32 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 1400 PM

Make sure you have the latest bios.  Once working the NVME drive is FAST, really fast.  

#33 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 2331 PM

Finally got it working! The motherboard did not recognize the new drive with anything hooked into its sata ports. Finally got it initialized, then connected all the sata plugs back in.

Crossing fingers on the stability, going to "burn" the componentry in overnight, if that is still even a thing.

Pretty beefy stock cooler when handled in person.

You were not kidding about the speed.

Edited to add: You were seriously not kidding about the speed.

Edited by Nobu, 29 May 2020 - 2331 PM.