Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,569 posts
  • Interests:Slinging Terrorist Ilk real far

Posted 27 July 2004 - 1151 AM

Originally posted by aevans:
What, you don't love "Happy Horno"!?   Posted Image

Seriously, the Stumps must have gotten a serious facelift since I was stationed there, if you prefer it to anyplace on Pandleton.

Never been to Horno, but the stumps, yikes! Who would stay there instead of being closer to the beach? Ken, do you still have a pulse man?

#42 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,120 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 27 July 2004 - 1156 AM

I did a double take and for a second I imagined Ken turning up at Camp Homo. Posted Image

[Edited by Chris Werb (27 Jul 2004).]

#43 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,569 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 1209 PM

Originally posted by Chris Werb:
I did a double take and for a second I imagined Ken turning up at Camp Homo.    Posted Image

<font size=1>[Edited by Chris Werb (27 Jul 2004).]

Sometimes we see what we want to see. Lol!

#44 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 27 July 2004 - 1228 PM

Camp Homo? Shit, at least it would provide more live fire than here.

The Stumps is a great place to train, which is what we're doing 14-18hrs per day, 6 days per week. We went June 1-July 4 without anymore than Cinderella liberty, so you really see me interested in beaches? No one has a car here, so liberty has very little interest. At the stumps I had a room in transient SNCO housing all to myself, with functional AC, a coffee pot, microwave, and fridge, plus free cable. At Horno, I have to share a room, the AC doesn't work, everything is broken or otherwise FUBAR, the PX sucks and is always out of everything, everything is far away and requires requisitioning a freaking vehicle to get to, etc etc etc. And the post office takes three extra days and looses everything. FEDEX and UPS are good, so I mail order lots of things. Got a new laptop. 2500+ AMD E-machine, 512MB, 60GB, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, .11G, not a bad unit. It goes well with the not one, but TWO CF18 toughbooks I'm issued:-) S/F...Ken M

#45 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,310 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 27 July 2004 - 1930 PM

Sod firstest....mostest wins hands down!
The M40A3 has the thumbhole McMillan....Nyet?

#46 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 0504 AM

No thumbhole, just a near vertical prone type stock. S/F...Ken M

#47 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 1719 PM

Had the Bn sunset memorial for Sgt Matthew Adams last night, on top of Recon Ridge. It was a moving sight to see over a 1000 Marines march past the inverted rifle and helmet, while bagpipes played "Amazing Grace" and the sun set in the west while the full moon rose over Horno Summit. S/F...Ken M

#48 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 1852 PM

Still here. Way too much time dedicated to silly box checking BS. Too much time spent doing pointless paper drills just so HHQ can have their rosters. Working 7 days per week is tolerable when you're doing something useful, when you're dragging the troops to a BS repeat class on stuff they have already attended(due to a roster HQ lost) on a Sunday morning, it gets kinda weary.

Logistics is running pretty shitty. It really seems that no one has a sense of urgency on the DoD transport side. The only time to count on anything is when you buy it yourself commercially. Anyone believe that there is only one person in the entire Rgt who has a USG credit card authorized to make open purchases? Sounds like utter bullshit to me, but I can't convince the S4 that they're gettting shat upon. UGHH!

BTW, any regulars want my in-country mailing address, Email at MelendyKJ at 1mardiv dot usmc dot mil. Subject line: tanknet

S/F...Ken M

#49 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1319 PM

ON the ground outside Bagdad. Chow here is better than chow at Pendleton. Usual run in circles scream and shout drill, more orderly than usual IME. All in all life is good. Only heard two explosions today, one fairly small, the other pretty large. Will keep updated as best I can. S/F...Ken M

#50 Steel Rain

Steel Rain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Fire Support

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1359 PM

Hey is Capt W your BN intel-O?

#51 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,569 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1647 PM

Shit. Lost track of this thread, Ken. Stay safe. I'll email you for the snail mail addy.

#52 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1705 PM

Yep, Capt DW, the guy I work for. One of the finest officers I have ever worked with.

Bras, the Email in my profile has a solid background, I'll get to it eventually, the only reason I keep AOL. The .mil addresses bounce around as I change parent units and that one is dead. S/F...Ken M

#53 Guest_DwightPruitt_*

Guest_DwightPruitt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1709 PM

Ken, keep safe, and keep us posted.

#54 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1716 PM

We'll smoke you a kipper for your retuen form Saddamistan.

#55 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,473 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 1949 PM

Ken, best of luck to you and your guys.

#56 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 2005 PM

Good luck, Ken. Do it to them before they do it to you.

#57 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • 28,909 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 0757 AM

Stay safe

#58 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 0438 AM

Well, safe at FOB St Mike's. Web connection sucks so this will be short. Been outside the wire a few times, one 12km'ish day foot patrol that the weather just made absolutely brutal. Not the smart thing to do on the first day.

Couple night vehicle patrols that were OK. Iraqi drivers suck, and it nearly got one killed, by me, about 12 hrs ago. Was safety off, and just breaking the shot, through the creepy GI trigger, when the driver braked hard and I got off the trigger.

The Aimpoint Comp M2 is great for this kind of close night work, I really like mine. ACOG's are OK too, but the unlimited eye relief Aimpoint makes shooting on the move from nonstandard positions, while wearing body armour very simple.

Speaking of body armour. It's mandatory, and I absolutely don't mind for vehicle patrols/movements. I'd have severe internal injuries, just from the bumps if I had not been wearing armour. The Oregon Aero helmet liner kit is also highly recommended by me. It makes wearing the helmet bearable, I almost forget I'm wearing it at times. It uses the same style padding as a bike helmet and it soaks up sweat that would other wise run down into your goggles/eyes. S/F...Ken M

#59 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 0646 AM

Do you guys get a look in on the upcoming MEU(SOC) .45 M1911 buy? I read about the DET-1 M1911s from Kimber. Do they not get the Mk23Mod0 box-o-Wheaties?

#60 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 0056 AM

Simon, we got no input on anything, let alone the 1911's, which only go to the Force Recon community, to include the MARSOC folks. We're stuck with the piece of shi.... I mean the Beretta M9. We're alos stuck with full length M16A4 vice the M4's, which they didn't procure enough of, so they're going to truck drivers and other folks who are simply targets, not hunters. I could go off on this tangent for a while, but I won't.

This is so Wild West, it's not even funny. I could have brought anything I wanted. Guns, ammo, ANYTHING. I've seen all sorts of interesting things here, the ASP issued me 7.62x51 FMJ ball ammo, on stripper clips, that's marked WRA 1960. Freaking interesting, but not good for sniping. I suspect it's US Army leftover ammo from their M14 fielding show. I'll get it linked up when some MG links are available.

Way too much Cold War, fighting the Soviets thinking going on here. Can't elaborate, but way too much stupid needless shit that simply causes problems for the do-ers without any payoff in security. S/F....Ken M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users