JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,202 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 01 May 2019 - 1309 PM

Against drones and cruise missiles surely would be useful

From what I can find about it as of now, it doesn't explicitly say that it can engage supersonic targets, but if Gepard can, then yes surely the Type 87 should be able to do so too. And from the video of it shooting, its turret looks like it can swivel and acquire tracking on the target fast enough. In addition to the two radars at top, it has infrared and optical sensors that can serve as back up if it is operating in a jamming environment. But from what I can find, there doesn't seem to have been any major upgrades to it and nothing about it being networked to a greater AD information sharing network. So limited to a point defense unit it seems. Its mobility is also not as good as the Type 90 so as a combined unit, Type 87 slows things down some. MOD has been putting a lot of funding for networking kinds of upgrades for various SDF platforms but looks like Type 87 is out of the loop on it. There was an upgrade option for attaching missiles on to it, but at that time production of the Type 87 had finished (at 52 units) and the funding for that upgrade was not available for it.

The Gepard and Co. are always impressive to see !

as for drones . . . . .

https://en.wikipedia...pigeon_shooting

Always liked Gepard, was sad to see it retire in Germany.

As for shotguns, reminded me of shooting the flying skulls with the super shotgun from Doom 2 for some reason.

#282 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 1334 PM

Against drones and cruise missiles surely would be useful

From what I can find about it as of now, it doesn't explicitly say that it can engage supersonic targets, but if Gepard can, then yes surely the Type 87 should be able to do so too. And from the video of it shooting, its turret looks like it can swivel and acquire tracking on the target fast enough. In addition to the two radars at top, it has infrared and optical sensors that can serve as back up if it is operating in a jamming environment. But from what I can find, there doesn't seem to have been any major upgrades to it and nothing about it being networked to a greater AD information sharing network. So limited to a point defense unit it seems. Its mobility is also not as good as the Type 90 so as a combined unit, Type 87 slows things down some. MOD has been putting a lot of funding for networking kinds of upgrades for various SDF platforms but looks like Type 87 is out of the loop on it. There was an upgrade option for attaching missiles on to it, but at that time production of the Type 87 had finished (at 52 units) and the funding for that upgrade was not available for it.

The Gepard and Co. are always impressive to see !

as for drones . . . . .

https://en.wikipedia...pigeon_shooting

Always liked Gepard, was sad to see it retire in Germany.

As for shotguns, reminded me of shooting the flying skulls with the super shotgun from Doom 2 for some reason.

If UPS and DHL really do this crap package (Chinese junk porducts) delivery business, I hope to see a lot of drones going down from shotgun fire.

#283 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,202 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 15 May 2019 - 0636 AM

Speaking of anti-air, cute but voice is a itsy bitsy annoying, but is fine, but any way, she rides the turret of a real M16 half track at 2:19 (after hoping in the replica Ha-Go) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users