• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 0436 AM

An interesting read:

http://www.tanks-enc...d-10-d-11-d-14/

At least they had a commanders cupola :-)

And an 76,2 mm gun (facing aft on a limited travrese mount)

enjoy.

#2 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,192 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 18 April 2019 - 0513 AM

Need to be careful with that webpage.

I can't comment on the soviet stuff but there are multiple errors about the Japanese tanks at the website.

#3 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 0602 AM

Aha. That's where Bob Semple got the idea from. Shamelessly copied it from the communists. :)

#4 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Cold war era tanks

Posted 18 April 2019 - 0614 AM

I can't comment on the soviet stuff but there are multiple errors about the Japanese tanks at the website.

Tanks Encyclopedia seems to be focusing heavily on quantity over quality. I would go as far as to say that most of their articles have major errors that even Wikipedia doesn't.

#5 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,192 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 18 April 2019 - 0621 AM

Tanks Encyclopedia seems to be focusing heavily on quantity over quality. I would go as far as to say that most of their articles have major errors that even Wikipedia doesn't.

Couldn't disagree even with the wiki part.

Pictures are nice at least.

#6 Coldsteel

Coldsteel

Romanes eunt domus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. What were you expecting, Underwater Basket Weaving?

Posted 29 April 2019 - 0843 AM

They do seem to prefer to churn stuff out, don't they. Of all the errors, I like the spelling errors the most. It's like spell checking is too hard, let alone fact checking.

#7 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 29 April 2019 - 1004 AM

I mostly jst take a look on the site what is new and use this to search for better sources, if available :-)

#8 Paul Lakowski

Paul Lakowski

Man of the worldly means

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:Armor Tech and silly humor.

Posted 10 May 2019 - 2236 PM

In the late 1920s the Reichswehr ordered hundreds of farm tractors plus some primitive half tracks that may well have inspired the Zugkraftwagen line [Sdkfz -6 through 11]. In any event they mounted 37mm PaK on some of the farm tractors and 77mm infantry guns on the others.

I wonder if this inspired the Soviets to explore such possibilities.

Anyway remembering my Achtung Panzer, I figured they could have adapted the Wehrmacht Zugkraftwagen production to fill a similar role to support infantry and armor units in battle. These could mount all the infantry 37mm Pak and 75mm IG , on such semi tracked vehicles with simplistic armor plates bolted to the tractors front and sides [plus gun].

Historically this was actually done on a 'mostly' ad Hoch basis- through out the war. 

#9 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Tanks - fire control, guns, ammo, autoloader

Posted 11 May 2019 - 0231 AM

In the late 1920s the Reichswehr ordered hundreds of farm tractors plus some primitive half tracks that may well have inspired the Zugkraftwagen line [Sdkfz -6 through 11]. In any event they mounted 37mm PaK on some of the farm tractors and 77mm infantry guns on the others.

I wonder if this inspired the Soviets to explore such possibilities.

"As part of the German-Soviet military cooperation under the Treaty of Rapallo tried the German Reichswehr (Inspection 6 motor vehicles), in secret with the Red Army, trained on them and developed new tank tactics from 1926 to 1933 in the nearby tank school Kama tanks. Among other things, the large tractor was subjected to extensive testing there."

WiKi Germany

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 11 May 2019 - 0443 AM.

#10 Paul Lakowski

Paul Lakowski

Man of the worldly means

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:Armor Tech and silly humor.

Posted 11 May 2019 - 1539 PM

Thanks Stefan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users