Wot The F#$%

218 replies to this topic

#201 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1915 PM

I rarely use additional resources, i barely shoot gold and I don't have any clan source for it. I make do with what I have and also rarely play tier 9-10 as almost everyone is using gold and therefore at a complete disadvantage. the real fun in this game is tier 4-8 and that's where I hang out mostly.

That's what I tried doing to make the game more enjoyable - shift down in tiers.  Unfortunately the issues, in particular gold spam, followed me down as I went.  It's possible the gold spam I saw was in part due to XVM-sniping but that doesn't explain the countless times I was hit by an enemy's gold round who didn't have time to load one after spotting me.

Regardless, it ruins the game.  I really love the playstyle of employing armor to bounce shots.  When gold rounds negate that option you're left, in my case as a non-premium-and-gold user, to find decent mobility vehicles with high dpm and high pen silver rounds.  That drastically cuts down the options of viable vehicles.  (These tend to have little to no armor to employ which means when you're getting hit with gold rounds repeatedly they're either targeting you or bad... but gold does make bad players slightly better.)

There's also the other problem of going down so low in tiers you run into legit new players to the game.  At that point there's no challenge.  A new player, even if he'll eventually become a great player, simply can't compete against me when I have vehicles with multi-skill crews, full equipment, and camo.  Clubbing seals isn't fun.  I was left with the option of playing at tiers where I beat up on n00bs or go higher and face the gold spam.  I went with option 3 and uninstalled.

Edited by Skywalkre, 31 December 2018 - 1928 PM.

#202 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1953 PM

I play the hard to play vehicles like the Archer and go back play tanks that are "challenged"

#203 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 0440 AM

Before I deinstalled I had a similar experience. Going to the low tiers was either boringly easy when you fought against real new players or frustrating like hell when you met a platoon of highly experienced clan players in premium vehicles and used gold on auto canons and just went into the games to push their statistics.

#204 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 01 January 2019 - 1045 AM

Before I deinstalled I had a similar experience. Going to the low tiers was either boringly easy when you fought against real new players

The new MM spread favoring 3/5/7 didn't help with this either.  Given the atrocious balance across all tiers (and no, that's not hyperbole... it really is that bad and WG has been blatantly using this imbalance to make money in recent years) if you were top tier in an OP vehicle all you had to do was press W and win.  If you knew what you were doing and in an average vehicle, like when I got top in my 3002 M, all you had to do was press W.  It wasn't fun and just reinforces how these decisions are being based off the playstyles of the RU server (where they're more than content with waiting their turn to be the bully) than from simply making the game fun.

#205 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 1759 PM

I don't overthink the game, so I still have fun with it, along with frustrating moments, but such is life.

#206 Avalon12

Avalon12

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I.T. Support, Computers & Science, Rally, Aeronautics, Electrical Engineering, Tanks and other various Machines

Posted 04 January 2019 - 1412 PM

I got back in for the Holiday Season. I sold any tanks i considered unfun and  bought mostly historical tanks and ones i like to play. Been ejoying doing 1200 dmg + a game with the VK 16.02 and the good fun of the T9 STRV 103. Bought the Cent AX and just accept the gold spam @ T10. T 9 seems to have it made when it comes to MM spread. You are NEVER hopelessly outclassed. And frequently get to bully T8 heavies. T8 seems like a living HELL. Even the T5-6 tanks will let you excel and not be repeatedly beat over the head. T8..... no. and the T8 grand battles were so cancerous. i barely did more damage with 30 tanks per team than with 15

Edited by Avalon12, 14 January 2019 - 1210 PM.

#207 Avalon12

Avalon12

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I.T. Support, Computers & Science, Rally, Aeronautics, Electrical Engineering, Tanks and other various Machines

Posted 04 January 2019 - 1413 PM

I actually greatly prefer AW now. Which i play about every other day. However there is not a AW thread here and i'm not sure anyone here is still playing that.

I don't overthink the game, so I still have fun with it, along with frustrating moments, but such is life.

#208 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,718 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 04 January 2019 - 1459 PM

I actually greatly prefer AW now. Which i play about every other day. However there is not a AW thread here and i'm not sure anyone here is still playing that.

There is an Armored Warfare thread around.

#209 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 08 February 2019 - 0649 AM

They added a tech line made of wheeled vehicles, French, from T6 to T10. They have no shame.

#210 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,718 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 08 February 2019 - 0703 AM

They added a tech line made of wheeled vehicles, French, from T6 to T10. They have no shame.

They could even add a British line of armored cars, then Ryan will stop posting here due to lack of time :D

#211 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 0757 AM

They could even add a British line of armored cars, then Ryan will stop posting here due to lack of time :D

Or half-tracks. But no they had to go with completely made up wheelers.

#212 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 1940 PM

On the plus side Frontline is coming back in the near future.  I'm half tempted to reinstall just for that.  Will apparently be going on all year but in single, week-long segments every month.

#213 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 2336 PM

Downloaded WoT again to try out the improved Frontlines.  Honestly, whatever they did to the map I can't notice.  There was supposed to be big improvements to performance but I haven't noticed them either.

The gripes about the state of the game with the glut of OP premiums is pretty spot on.  Kind of ridiculous that a Defender sitting out in the open is impervious to dozens of rounds from the various tanks I can play.  Way to sell your soul to the almighty dollar, WG.  :rolleyes:

It's also comical the disparity in premiums.  I have a Panther 8,8... why or how I don't know.  Still, I took it out as my selection of tier 8s is pretty awful (the only other options are the Pershing or BC 12t).  That thing is beyond awful.  No idea how WG can justify that thing costing 7300g.

After playing the Panther 8,8 and laughing at how bad it is a perfect WG thought jumped into my head - why not sell premiums at different tiers and a person simply pays for how good they want it to be?  Just want a vehicle that gives extra credits and XP?  7300 like the current Panther 8,8.  Want that premium to SHINE!  Shelve out another 10k gold and your Panther 8,8 now has 50% more dpm and 25% more speed!  I mean, at this point they've given up at historical accuracy.  Why not just let players pick and choose what they want to be OP.  WG is free to take this idea.  All I ask for is 10% of all sales.  :D

Edited by Skywalkre, 12 February 2019 - 2348 PM.

#214 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 0105 AM

Downloaded WoT again to try out the improved Frontlines.  Honestly, whatever they did to the map I can't notice.  There was supposed to be big improvements to performance but I haven't noticed them either.

The gripes about the state of the game with the glut of OP premiums is pretty spot on.  Kind of ridiculous that a Defender sitting out in the open is impervious to dozens of rounds from the various tanks I can play.  Way to sell your soul to the almighty dollar, WG.  :rolleyes:

It's also comical the disparity in premiums.  I have a Panther 8,8... why or how I don't know.  Still, I took it out as my selection of tier 8s is pretty awful (the only other options are the Pershing or BC 12t).  That thing is beyond awful.  No idea how WG can justify that thing costing 7300g.

After playing the Panther 8,8 and laughing at how bad it is a perfect WG thought jumped into my head - why not sell premiums at different tiers and a person simply pays for how good they want it to be?  Just want a vehicle that gives extra credits and XP?  7300 like the current Panther 8,8.  Want that premium to SHINE!  Shelve out another 10k gold and your Panther 8,8 now has 50% more dpm and 25% more speed!  I mean, at this point they've given up at historical accuracy.  Why not just let players pick and choose what they want to be OP.  WG is free to take this idea.  All I ask for is 10% of all sales.  :D

ERASE THAT POST BEFORE THEY SEE IT. ERASE IT OR ZEUS AS MY WITNESS I WILL PUNISH YOU.

Pretty please with sugar on top?

#215 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,985 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 13 February 2019 - 1243 PM

ERASE THAT POST BEFORE THEY SEE IT. ERASE IT OR ZEUS AS MY WITNESS I WILL PUNISH YOU.

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Don't they kind of do that anyway?  I mean with multiple premiums at a given tier you can kind of pick and choose which one you buy based on its relative power level.  Plus with power creep even the tier monsters eventually drop back into the pack and you have to buy the next OP flavor of the month.  Granted I haven't played in years but that was what I remember it being.

#216 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 1441 PM

It would be nice if they ran Frontline on lower or mid-level tiers though to get some variation rather than the endless IS-88 and Eintwicklungsniebelungkampfgeschutzsturmpanzer E-328 Ausf.Y feast.

#217 Avalon12

Avalon12

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 1926 PM

I reinstalled for Christmas Season. I actually got the P8.8 for 17$ during a sale. It is terrible. The Panther II is even worse..... T8 has gone full retard. I made a few million credits, bought a new tier 10, sold anything i specifically did not want to play. And have now burned out on it again. Despite me achieving 97% Percentile in my VK 16.02, i just hate what its become. FPS did increase slightly with the new patch. T95/Chief is broken. I had to fire 350 Pen APCR at under 100 meters and still failed in my S-Tank. oh well. It's just a disappointment at this phase. Arty has never managed to provide a net benefit to the game, maps are still teeny, and the ones that aren't are corridor'd into rifle range fights of 1-300 meters. and WG has decided that the cash cow must be milked for every cent now. On the Flip Side, T9's have the Best MM in the game. You are never useless, and consistently on top. IF average at best. Might move on to Heliborne...

#218 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 1506 PM

Downloaded WoT again to give FL another shot.  The mode has... issues.

I've actually put in about 12-15 games so far.  The biggest issue that is popping out (which I didn't notice last time because I only played a few matches) is how easy it is to win as attackers.  In those 12-15 games played the defenders have won all of 3 times.  One of those was only because we had at least 7 purples on the defense (2 platoons of 3 and myself).  If even one of those platoons was replaced by normal players that match would have likely been a loss.

So yeah, kind of a big deal if balance is so off that when you load into a game and see yourself as a defender you just roll your eyes and realize you're going to waste 20-25m knowing you're going to lose.  You don't even make great credits anymore, either.  They must have adjusted that from when they first ran FL a year ago.  I'm not firing gold and even using premium vehicles once in a while and still not making more than I could have in a regular match given the time spent (in fact, it may actually be less).

Another issue are those bloody wheeled vehicles.  W... T... F...?  I'm not sure how well they work in regular matches (I've played some but at lower tiers where you rarely see them) but they break FL. 

Given the size of the map coupled to typical poor WoT connection they move so bloody fast it's difficult to hit them.  Given the map has lots of room they have plenty of space to maneuver (on a regular map I imagine the corridor nature of so many of them would limit this annoyance).  Playing these FL modes with all these wheeled vehicles was bringing back bad memories of AW where it was damn near impossible to hit the fastest wheeled vehicles in the game.  At that point it's not a skill issue... it's a connection/map design one.

So it's bloody hard to hit the little buggers.  Then you have the issue where they have no issue hitting you... on the move... at full speed.  Again... W... T... F...?  Who thought it was a good idea to introduce such high pen and accurate guns on such highly mobile and difficult to hit vehicles in a game mode where they have LOTS of room to maneuver?

The third problem with them is again related to their speed.  Since they're so hard to hit (and they don't appear to have fewer hps as compensation... you know, something you'd consider if you had game design 101 basic knowledge) these little gnats can zoom a cap early (I've seen some initial zones capped before I can even get up far enough to engage) and once they're able to get to the final objectives they can just run past everyone that isn't a wheeled vehicle and take out the objectives with impunity (it doesn't help, either, that objectives have weakspots that are pen'able by HE rounds).

Another problem is WG's reward system.  They implemented a horrendous grind that eventually lets players get some premium vehicles as rewards.  Unfortunately they designed this grind now around winning but around farming damage, basically.  As such you have some players not even trying to win... and this leads to conflict with other players trying to play the mode the way it's designed.  It'd be like playing basketball and 4/5 of the team are trying to win and the other player is just trying to make 30 3-pointers regardless of the score.

Again, poor design.  Everyone should be on the same page and rewards should be handed out based on this.  If you win fast everyone, but in particular the ones who capped and took out the objectives, should be rewarded handsomely.  If you win as defender, and especially if you do it quickly, you should be rewarded for that instead of gaming the bloody game to draw it out so you can farm damage regardless of the outcome.

So... yeah.  It's a typical WG mess.  Playable... but not necessarily fun.  Unsure if I'll keep going with it.

So... yeah.  I can't be sure the win/loss issue is due to the wheeled vehicles or was there last time.  Regardless, FL

Edited by Skywalkre, 14 March 2019 - 1521 PM.

#219 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 1900 PM

After playing on the SB server to test out the gold ammo changes the cynic in me is starting to think WG is purposefully handling this whole thing so poorly that they'll either ditch the changes and go "look, it was too hard... so we'll just stick with what is" or actually implement these changes (which effectively do nothing) and go "look, problem solved!"

Either way... really disappointing that this is something they felt good enough to push to a public test server.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users