242 replies to this topic

#221 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 22 May 2012 - 1913 PM

The first edition of my B-52 book sold out and the greatly expanded second edition was just released.

http://www.squadron....sp?item=SS50207 (hard cover)
http://www.squadron....sp?item=SS10207 (softcover)

#222 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 24 May 2012 - 1132 AM

Into the Breach at Pusan has been released and promo material is out. UOP did a splendid job of production, very enjoyable to work with them.

http://www.oupress.c...42548-flyer.pdf

Posted Image

Excellent read, recommended, unfortunately limited to an small piece of a largely unknown war, Ken Estes should now aim to cover the remaining gaps until 1953 ;)

Ken being Ken, the book is both readable and entertaining, with a fair numbers of myths being thoroughly busted.

Thanks much, RETAC, but I am glad you are not my slavedriver boss!

#223 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 1135 AM

For you who have published on the Kindle thingle-dingle:

What is an appropriate conversion rate between USD, franc, DM, and lira?

Shot

#224 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,274 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 26 July 2012 - 1144 AM

???

Franc, DM and Lira are now Euros (still...)

#225 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 0503 AM

Kindle asked me for a conversion to the currencies identified. Hence the question.

Shot

#226 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 0558 AM

Well, 1 DM = 1.955683 €, 1 FR = 0.152449 €, 1 LR = 0.000516 €. Integrate the $/€ conversion rate, either today's or from the Euro introduction in 1999 or 2002, and there you got it.

Edited by BansheeOne, 27 July 2012 - 0558 AM.

#227 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 0200 AM

Isn't David Doyle a TN? ISTR seeing a David Doyle posting here. Or maybe got confused with a David and a Doyle.... Now I'm really confused....

Anyhow, following link shows Kenneth Katz's book on the KC-135 and David Doyle's book on the M-18 Hellcat, both published by Squadron:

http://www.cybermode.../news/ssp.shtml

#228 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 0746 AM

For you who have published on the Kindle thingle-dingle:

What is an appropriate conversion rate between USD, franc, DM, and lira?

Shot

Go to your windows gadgets, and you can find a gadget that monitors different currency in near real time.

Edited by Mike Steele, 27 September 2012 - 0746 AM.

#229 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 29 September 2012 - 2256 PM

I think that he was a member but I have not heard from him in a long time.

I have posted a contest to win a copy of my KC-135 book.

Isn't David Doyle a TN? ISTR seeing a David Doyle posting here. Or maybe got confused with a David and a Doyle.... Now I'm really confused....

Anyhow, following link shows Kenneth Katz's book on the KC-135 and David Doyle's book on the M-18 Hellcat, both published by Squadron:

http://www.cybermode.../news/ssp.shtml

#230 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 1251 PM

Marsh:

Is this book available yet? Do you know who might be selling it in the United States?

Ken

Hi,
Sorry to bore people who may have already have read this on the Merkava thread but I have a new book on the Merkava coming out, The Merkava . A history of Israel's Main Battle Tankpublished by Tankograd, a German publisher. It is a hardback, in A4 size format, printed on glossy paper. It has over 300 photos, most in colour. Some of the photos, particularly of the early models are archive material which some of you will have seen before. The book is 175 pages long with full text in both German and English. It costs 49 Euros. ($50 approx)

The Merkava 4 is covered in detail. There are 64 photos, none previously published, mostly my own taken of the tank being built at Tel ha Shomer and on manoeuvres in the Negev.

Cheers
Marsh :rolleyes:

View Post

I have a copy if you would like to borrow it.

#231 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,057 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 1044 AM

Hey, seems like our very own commander (Rob Griffin) has a new book on the Chieftain! :)

http://www.sklep.kag...e-to-mk-11.html

Oooooh.... A must have for me!!!!!!!!

And it has pix that I really need!

#232 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 0945 AM

Ken Katz' aircraft profiles are excellent, and we can only await the next ones with pleasure.

I broke bread with Rob at Bristol train station last month while at TankFest, and he is able to offer us hope for a Cent book after his Chally ones are done, but I think he will need some further badgering encouragement from many of us. I can understand the problem, which is I think the foreign use/mods complex; I think the same applies to M41, hence no book on that one is around.

My M103 book was brought out by Osprey in mid-March, but I am disappointed they found no space for tech data, nor the insets I prepared for ammo types and the fording kit. This was my first tank profile and I was surprised by the reduced text quota vs. their Warrior series, with which I had started with them. Still, it updates the Hunnicutt Firepower, which only had 32 pp [mostly illustr] devoted to the M103 and photos only on the USMC side of it. I have to thank Ken Katz and several other TNetters for nagging encouraging me over the years to get that one out!

51oinE92SnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticNext up on my plate are bringing out my print edition, revised, of my 2003 work on the W European vols in the German army and W-SS. I had best get hot on completing this, because the publisher is already offering it on Amazon!

51wKKzUvRnL._AA160_.jpg

...and then my next Osprey and second tank profile will be something undoubtedly influenced by the WoT game: Superheavy Tanks of WWII  and it will supposedly come out in April of Year 14.

Seriously, I do appreciate the support given me by fellow TNetters in these endeavors!

Edited by Ken Estes, 11 July 2013 - 0958 AM.

#233 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,274 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 11 July 2013 - 0957 AM

Yes, great job, etc. Now get on with it!   :D  ;)

#234 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 1026 AM

Ken, I notice Osprey are bringing a lot of their old titles out on Kindle. Cant they consider putting all the extra material in a lengthened Kindle edition? After all its not going to be much extra in production costs for an electronic copy.

I keep meaning into email Bob. I think he was going to have a bash at a Cent title after he did the Chieftain book, but that other chap bringing one out rather filled the marketplace. I hope he gets a chance at one sometime.

Good observation Stuart. They had me sign permissions for my previous titles over a year ago, and I was allowed to make some corrections, which is better than some other publishers -- grrrr. But, yes, they seem to be getting full into the e-book market. It will be interesting to see how far back they go in vintage titles.

#235 alejandro_

alejandro_

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:History, cinema, football, aviation, armour, military history.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 1032 AM

I read your book and I liked it. It is hard to find information on the M103.

Good observation Stuart. They had me sign permissions for my previous titles over a year ago, and I was allowed to make some corrections, which is better than some other publishers -- grrrr. But, yes, they seem to be getting full into the e-book market. It will be interesting to see how far back they go in vintage titles.

Some authors have blogs were you can download extra information that could not be included in the book. Prit Buttar, author of Battleground Prussia, put some extra maps and testimonies to complement his book.

#236 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 1044 AM

If you want more to assist in your Wiki adventures, let me know. I worked the National Archives during 2006-12 hard on this project and was able to have much declassified. Manic Moran joined lately in this effort and unearthed armor trials of the M103 hull and turret.

#237 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 11 July 2013 - 1250 PM

Seconded!

#238 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 1520 PM

I read your book and I liked it. It is hard to find information on the M103.

I agree, it's essential for anyone interested in the larger grate steal beests

#239 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,022 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 January 2015 - 0802 AM

A new book on assault rifles, co-authored by Tony Williams:

Small Caliber Book Reviews: Assault Rifle, By Maxim Popenker and Anthony Williams - See more at: http://www.thefirear...h.qq9iYaIF.dpuf

EDIT--Oops! I just read the linked review, and this is actually an older book. Sorry!

Edited by shep854, 09 January 2015 - 0805 AM.

#240 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 1740 PM

Well, that's my lead-in to a sitrep, I guess.

51pONZcDjML._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Super-Heavy Tanks book came out at the end of 2014 and was almost immediately Amazon's top armored vehicles book for a couple of weeks; such is the power of WoT, I suppose. Now it's no. 65. I had a good time doing it and uncovered more than a few discoveries not yet in print.

51GbZdVH4eL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The European Anabasis in its second revision [the first was an e-book with Columbia Univ Pr] has been out for a year and has sold a whopping 244 copies in its first six months, but in fact that's not bad for its niche.

My next Osprey reversed field and carried the diminutive end of AFVs. It's in production now and will appear at the end of the year:

51OddcFWoUL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In this one, I nailed down the actual production numbers of the M56, figured out its troop service, and discovered the actual source of the name 'Ontos' and added some unusual material to what had been known thus far about these vehicles. I also had some good comms with the army vets who took a platoon of M56 to war in Vietnam.

This year, I'm working for Fonthill Media Ltd to do German Heavy Fighting Vehicles of the Second World War, a full-length book, which will give me a chance to assess the whole German concept of quality over quantity, among other matters. I don't see where I will break any new ground, but Fonthill is a relatively new publisher, and I guess they wanted a Tiger, etc. book of their own to show in their listings. 

In another activity, I am very proud to have assisted in bringing out this outstanding personal account of a Walloon volunteer in the German Army and W-SS.

61I9W6bYFbL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fernand had assisted me with his own records and contacts with other volunteers who gave me interviews since 1982. When I did a set of video interviews with him for my e-book version of European Anabasis in 2002, he told me how much he wished that his self-published book in French could be published in English. I naively promised to make that happen, and soon afterwards, discovered how tough it is to have a translation published by anybody, mostly because of the cost of the translator. 

Anyway, I made a breakthrough a couple of years ago, found the right man for the job, assisted in the production, and Fernand's book came out last month, is already in a second printing and seems headed to become the foreign volunteer version of Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier. I recommend it highly, for its unforgettable views of combat service on the E Front [1942-45] and his remarkable ability as a writer and observer of things and people.

Edited by Ken Estes, 20 July 2016 - 2325 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users