404 replies to this topic

#41 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,561 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1104 AM

New anti-Kaiju anti-ship missile, XASM3. The XASM3 will replace ASM-1 and ASM-2. 900kg, has over 150km range, reported that top speed can reach mach 3 and flies near the ocean surface, planned to be used by F-2, and planned to enter service next year. Development started in 2010. It combines rocket and turbojet engines.

http://www.chunichi..../article/news/C

Turbojet vice ramjet? Does it cruise at subsonic and then rocket to the target in terminal phase a la Klub?

#42 tankerwanabe

tankerwanabe

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1345 PM

I don't see why Communist China has a problem with the Japanese naming its carrier the Kaga considering that the all of the communist chinese were busy hiding their cowardly asses in the mountains while the Nationalists fought the Japanese.

#43 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,561 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1457 PM

I don't see why Communist China has a problem with the Japanese naming its carrier the Kaga considering that the all of the communist chinese were busy hiding their cowardly asses in the mountains while the Nationalists fought the Japanese.

I don't believe that's at all historically accurate.

#44 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1519 PM

Communist Party revisionist history has them fighting the Japanese....

Edited by 2805662, 13 November 2015 - 1520 PM.

#45 tankerwanabe

tankerwanabe

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1527 PM

In the Battle of Shanghai, the Chinese National Army took over 285,000 casualties .  The Chinese Communist Army took 0 casualties. 

#46 tankerwanabe

tankerwanabe

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1532 PM

Double post deleted.

Edited by tankerwanabe, 13 November 2015 - 1533 PM.

#47 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list all, but include military, economic &technological history. And cycling.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1631 PM

Using their own figures, the Communist forces had about 1/8th as many dead & 1/6th as many wounded as the KMT armies in fighting the Japanese. That might give some indication of the relative efforts.

#48 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,561 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1729 PM

I stand corrected; I had seemed to remember Chaing Kai-Shek being criticized for sitting the fight out. Perhaps I inverted the two sides in my head.

#49 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list all, but include military, economic &technological history. And cycling.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1807 PM

Sounds like it. Hundreds of thousands of KMT troops fought alongside the British empire forces in Burma, for example, at the same time as others were trying to hold off the Japanese. The KMT fought Japan intermittently from around 1931, & full-on from 1937. They won some battles, though AFAIK only through superior numbers & with heavy losses, 

#50 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,074 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1822 PM

#51 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,675 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 2159 PM

New anti-Kaiju anti-ship missile, XASM3. The XASM3 will replace ASM-1 and ASM-2. 900kg, has over 150km range, reported that top speed can reach mach 3 and flies near the ocean surface, planned to be used by F-2, and planned to enter service next year. Development started in 2010. It combines rocket and turbojet engines.

Turbojet vice ramjet? Does it cruise at subsonic and then rocket to the target in terminal phase a la Klub?

About the type of propulsion, in quotations, its called インテグラル・ロケット・ラムジェットエンジン or "Integral Rocket Ramjet" (also mentioned in the video Chris Werb posted). The Japanese wiki calls it the same and gives it an English acronym IRR. But in the article, it says just "turbo jet and rocket combined" while the Japanese wiki says "solid fuel rocket booster combined with ramjet engine".  So now that I think about it, the article probably made a mistake on the propulsion type.. as it doesn't look like a turbo-jet is on the missile.. good catch. While the article quotes someone saying that it can reach mach 3, the wiki says it can go over mach 3. Neither specify whether or not it cruises first and then increases speed at terminal distance.

Edited by JasonJ, 13 November 2015 - 2202 PM.

#52 a77

a77

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 0622 AM

Certainly not equipment for "self-defense".  Long overdue IMHO.  

Self defense in bomb landing crafts, and local bridges to prevent the enemy to advance. Most things can be "self-defense" if you want it. If you take it to the extream you can have a self-defence  nuclear wepons, to destroy the invasion fleet :)

Edited by a77, 14 November 2015 - 0624 AM.

#53 tankerwanabe

tankerwanabe

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 1859 PM

How big is the warhead on that ASM? The missile itself looks small like a AA missile.

#54 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,074 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 14 November 2015 - 1948 PM

Look again. By western standards, the missile is pretty big. If it hits at >M3.0 then vs most maritime targets even fitting a warhead would arguably be gilding the lily. You're talking effects something like this.

#55 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  • Interests:S2 Branch & Rifle Platoon Runner

Posted 14 November 2015 - 2359 PM

The 9-dash line is Abe's wet dream come true as I've always said. They now have all the reasons they need to build all the stuff they had been building only in their anime. Since the 60's (or even earlier), they had been preparing for this by building nearly all their own equipment even though the R&D and the small numbers built meant high costs.

Now they need one more stupid move by China to go nuclear.

Edited by chino, 15 November 2015 - 0000 AM.

#56 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 0016 AM

The 9-dash line is Abe's wet dream come true as I've always said. They now have all the reasons they need to build all the stuff they had been building only in their anime. Since the 60's (or even earlier), they had been preparing for this by building nearly all their own equipment even though the R&D and the small numbers built meant high costs.

Now they need one more stupid move by China to go nuclear.

Abe wouldn't even be in power right now, the collective-defense security bills would not have past, the constitution would not have been reinterpreted, and the Philippines and Vietnam wouldn't be seeking security pacts with Japan, if China knew how to rise peacefully.

#57 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 0158 AM

Counting on Chinese stupidity is like counting on the sunrise at dawn.

#58 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 0241 AM

Counting on Chinese stupidity is like counting on the sunrise at dawn.

From my humble observations, the PRC is pursuing a strategy of salami slicing. They will push where ever there is room and they will yield wherever there is push back. They won't do anything drastic as long as the push back against them isn't drastic. And even assuming drastic action against China, such as the complete destruction of the PLA Navy in the South China Sea and Hainan areas, the PRC can't really do anything drastic yet anyway. They are still mostly in the waiting phase. Their patience has been demonstrated in the 2014 umbrella protests in Hong Kong. So in the meantime, they will continue their economic development. They are currently at an economic transition that is difficult to pull off and it may test the very limits of the CCP's interest in its own existence as the sole political party with very tight control on speech and its necessity to conduct "anti-corruption" campaigns for the purpose of eliminating political opposition within the CCP. That economic transition will be increasing domestic consumption, relying less on exports, and develop a vibrant high tech industry and a multitude of other briskly functioning industries so that they all augment each other. By the very nature of the CCP, a healthy environment for such changes may not be possible.

So while they do a lot of stupid stuff internally that ultimately shoots them in the foot for becoming the regional power in Asia and the Asia-pacific with generally favorable opinions among its neighbors. A new counter weight to American stupidity would be nice. The PRC's strategy is to try to become the regional power while ensuring CCP rule. Their foreign policy so far makes that clear while also serving, as duel purpose, domestic consumption for rally around the effects for CCP. That totally ruins China's chance to become a favorable regional power, which is highly unfortunate but not so surprising giving their long track record, but it still does not change their aspiration to become the regional power as they politically currently are. So they won't do anything drastic. The construction of 3 airstrips on man-made islands in the South China Sea might have been too drastic, and thus be what you have been praying for, as now many neighboring countries are losing trust in China. Their 9 dash line claim is too big also. A funny joke 10 years ago. But since then, future prospects take the joke element away. 

However, China did gain influence in a few neighboring countries in exchange for the many that lost trust in China, namely South Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, and possibly Myanmar. But these countries generally play middle power, taking advantage of the tuck and pull between China on one hand and the US/Japan on the other. South Korea is particularly tied to China because of China holds the greatest external hand on North Korea. And it guarantees South Korea large markets. It may be a good long term strategy for South Korea, but in the short and medium term, lets just say, the Koreatimes news webpage tends to get under my skin almost every time I visit it and will continue to do so. Well in short, those 4 probably won't go past the middle stance between China and the US/Japan. But it definitely demands great attention with long term prospects in mind, keeping a close eye to see if they do pass the middle stance and shift towards China. And this must be considered should the West get into a new crusade in a end of the world scenario in the ME and North Africa as that will drain the treasure of the west, enabling a good opportunity for the PRC to greatly raise its relative power in the world since they will just stand by and watch the west and Islam whack each other.

#59 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,947 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 15 November 2015 - 0504 AM

Mach 3?  That implies significant kinetic energy even without a warhead.

#60 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  • Interests:S2 Branch & Rifle Platoon Runner

Posted 15 November 2015 - 1125 AM

Mach 3?  That implies significant kinetic energy even without a warhead.

Good observation. I just thought the speed made it impossible to counter once launched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users