163 replies to this topic

#161 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,746 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 1110 AM

I was interested in learning a little more on the 1973 naval standoff in the med, so I picked up a very good book on Amazon by a previous CNO, Admiral Zumwalt's 'On Watch' which gave a very good overview of the period. There are similarities I can see to then, lack of funds through fighting an unpopular war, newly emerging threats there is not the resources to meet, uneven political leadership, aging equipment. The only good news is there doesnt seem to be a return to the on board racial disputes which seemed to simmer over a couple of times in the pacific between 1970 and 1973.

Well they will get through it ive no doubt.

#162 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 0042 AM

What concerns me is that the Navy is probably going to try to turn this into a "see, give us more budget" thing, when that isn't really the answer -- it's more of a "stop wasting money on Zumwalt and LCS" thing.

#163 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 0148 AM

Its a big irony that Zumwalt would probably have hated his namesake. For the most part he seemed to like cheap, reliable equipment like the Spruances, rather than the all singing, all dancing wonderweapons like Rickover kept foisting on the navy.

Maybe the Navy needs what he did, ie a rethought mission clearly described, rather than actual concern about budget or the equipment it has.

#164 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 16 September 2017 - 1222 PM

stop wasting money on being "green"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users