The Good Guys

88 replies to this topic

#41 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 21 July 2013 - 2109 PM

Most of my team just now on Highway.

We were the SW team and about 1/3 of us (including me) pushed north.  We won our fight pretty easily but our southern force never even made it into town.  The majority of the enemy team was clearly visible on the minimap on the cusp of rushing out of town and towards our base.

In a typical pub game most players in the north on my team would simply rush the enemy base (even though we knew for sure there were at least 2 heavies on the ridge defending) despite the fact the enemy was clearly closer to our base and in a better chance.  I do what I always do and ask my entire team to turn back and defend.

They all did.  All of them!

It was 5-5 when we got into position.  The enemy pushed and it was a fairly nasty fight.  It's soon 9-8 in our favor and we have slight numbers and hp advantage and push their base.  We end up winning the game.

This is what should happen every game when in that situation.  It's rare, though.

#42 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer wargames.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 0015 AM

The pack of mediums that came against me in an E75 and two other heavies, 6 mediums vs 3 heavies is not good on the heavies :)

But they were too good, it was like it was choreogrphed.

#43 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 1429 PM

Victory!
Battle: Lakeville den 11 augusti 2013 21:13:38
Vehicle: Black Prince
Experience received: 1 623
Credits received: 41 557
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Confederate

Good guy? Me.

Almost embarassing that I have to tell people when to push or not. Especially when they wear REL-xx...something tags, or if they have 10-15k games.

#44 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 12 August 2013 - 0426 AM

WG CS (yes, not a typo).

In another thread I pointed out how a player I was unfortunate enough to play with over two days, H0D5, was clearly botting.  Sent in the replay and pointed out the relevant facts (that his stats were so bad there wasn't much need to investigate anything) to CS.  Got a reply just now saying 'thanks but we have a system in place, check it out here, blah blah blah.'  Went and read the section.  Said section elicited some chuckles.  Regardless, on a whim, I checked out the guy's profile in-game.

His 11k games were wiped along with basically every tank (minus a premium, which the WG page mentions won't be taken away).  He's down to 19 games played right now (sadly, though, it looks like he's botting again).

So while their automated system is clearly laughable this at least gives a glimmer of hope that if the horrible cases are reported they'll do something about it.

Edit: About to see if the above was a fluke or not.  Two games after posting this I get a Tiger in my match, MARTIN2005, who just sits at base.  His stats?  4k+ games, 938 kills, 32% hit rate, 105 average xp, .3 kill/death ratio, .32 damage caused/received, and a w/r of 43% (I've seen the number of 42% tossed around for what an afk player will end up with).  Another example (coupled with the replay) that's a pretty solid case.

Edited by Skywalkre, 12 August 2013 - 0451 AM.

#45 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,881 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 12 August 2013 - 0542 AM

Good news. After a talk in Paris I was feeling a bit disappointed about the policy on bots, but this shows they are doing something effective.

#46 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 1836 PM

Heh, this thread has fallen way down the list.

Erlenberg.  East team.

I say the same thing at the start of every game on this map.  "Don't cross the bridges.  Let them come to us."  No one ever listens.

I'd like to think they did this game but in reality MM probably just was nice to me and threw some guys on my team that had a clue.  So, no one crossed.  The enemy did (in both spots).  In the south we made them pay dearly for it.  Tanks took up position in the middle of the map, the hill in the south, and along the southern edge of the map.  We made short work of 1/2 of their team down there while taking no losses.  In the north they pushed across but it was costly.  While we lost two tanks (which is inevitable on a map like that even if played correctly in a pub) they were severely bloodied and we swept in from the south and wiped out the rest of their team with ease.

Was a fun game and a good one to end the day on.

#47 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 1659 PM

Highway as the SW team.

This map just... blows.  The SW team has a huge disadvantage.  It's near impossible to push town in any game (pub or competitive).  Unfortunately most pub teams do just that.

In the game I just had they didn't.  Myself and another player were talking about how you set up to defend closer to base and about 1/3 of the team went down to the river area and along the road and set up there.  Enemy came down from town and got wiped out.

Ended up being a near perfect game because the northern group was equally skilled.  We killed the few they had in the NW corner and then a scout lit up their base defenders and we took them out at range.  Sandwiched the surviving enemies in the town with both forces.

Great game and shows the potential of pub players putting a little thought into how to play maps.

Edited by Skywalkre, 27 October 2013 - 1700 PM.

#48 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 1916 PM

Highway as the SW team.

This map just... blows.  The SW team has a huge disadvantage.  It's near impossible to push town in any game (pub or competitive).  Unfortunately most pub teams do just that.

In the game I just had they didn't.  Myself and another player were talking about how you set up to defend closer to base and about 1/3 of the team went down to the river area and along the road and set up there.  Enemy came down from town and got wiped out.

Ended up being a near perfect game because the northern group was equally skilled.  We killed the few they had in the NW corner and then a scout lit up their base defenders and we took them out at range.  Sandwiched the surviving enemies in the town with both forces.

Great game and shows the potential of pub players putting a little thought into how to play maps.

I Have some strong opinions regarding tactics on HighWay.  Yes I agree that in spaze'ish pub battles, the SW team has a handicap.  But there is a simple tactical approach to the map to overcome this handicap.  

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to invoke any sort of cohesive tactical effort on this map -- or any other map in WoT via rifling commands off in chat. 

It literally takes 100's if not 1000's of public iterations of a valid winning map strategy to overcome 'bad' rote.  The issue is how to implant specific winning map tactics to the masses.  U can't dictate tactics in pub matches via chat -- particularly anything that is more complex than "CHARGE!".  It just won't happen.  U can try.  

I think u have to invoke new tactics at perhaps pseudo-organized level -- either at an organized platoon level or maybe clan level during practice sessions.  Winning tactics in a semi-cohesive format "MIGHT" trickle down to the more chaotic form of public play via clans or platoon play in pub matches.  Success in public matches will typically result in "MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO" approach to map play.  But there are a lot of monkeys, and they all have to witness success a couple of times -- particularly when success takes a different form from what the masses are used to seeing -- before success becomes the norm.         

Edited by jwduquette1, 27 October 2013 - 1927 PM.

#49 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 1837 PM

Boyth

Playing that new (/shudders... not a fan of it) map, Northwest, in my T-54 in a game where we get behind early.  Enemy pushes along the north and gets into our base.  I'm first to turn back (the entire team did, but most were pretty far away) and kill the E-100 capping as well as interrupting the 110E5 with him.  Sadly, an enemy Lorraine gets me from behind.  Game seems even at this point as my entire team collapses to our base and we have a full health 62A player from RELIC alive still.  Sadly, enemy starts to pull away again and I leave with just an arty and a Lorraine alive and holed up in the corner against 5 damaged enemies.  It's got to be over... right?

Jump in the Leo PTA, finish that game, and get out to see we somehow won.  Pull up the after battle report and notice the player Boyth above went on to kill everyone on the enemy team in what many consider to be a fairly bad tier 9.

I make a point of whispering him afterwards and congratulating him.  I've mentioned this countless times on here by now but times like this really deserve a +1/honor system (along the lines of what LoL has) so you can thank players that do stuff like that.  I rage a lot, yes, but I'm more than willing to heap the praise in moments like this when someone pulls out an impossible win.  I wish the game would let me do it in a way that rewards the player somehow.

#50 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 0928 AM

It pains me to give thumbs-up to an SPG driver, but this guy understood both his SPG, as well as map specific tactics.  Some dude with the handle "momos" driving a leFH18B2.  He kept an eye both on the mini-map as well as his radar screen and knew how to direct traffic to trouble spots -- at least he did in a match-up on Abbey that I just got out of.  And he could shoot too.  He just barely ecked me out of the top damage spot for the match while I was driving the PzKw IV(S).  

I took a look at his stats after our winning match.  Any-whoo, he has what I thought were unusual stats.  He plays about 99% of his games in French Tanks\TDs\SPGs.  But The stat that really impressed me were his UE57 numbers (it's a frickin' Sand Flea).  I sold my UE57 after two matches and free EXP'd past it cause' of the uber-uber limited gun depression and limited gun traverse.  Good accurate gun for it's tier, but that's all it has going for it.  Momos has a 57% w/r in this bizarre little TD; AND over 1100 matches driving it!  Really?  1100+!  He also has 22 TGs as well as a Kamikaze Badge of all things while driving the UE57.  I would have loved to see the expression on the dudes face who got rammed and died at the hands of a UE57.  

It takes a special level of patience to play this thing -- particularly 1100+ times.  

kdfb.jpg

Edited by jwduquette1, 18 November 2013 - 0929 AM.

#51 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 0329 AM

The whole team on this, but foremost Doc_Holiday13, he scouted for 5288 dmg in an ELC... :o

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka 2013-11-19 09:07:13
Vehicle: ARL V39
Experience received: 528
Credits received: 15 340
Battle Achievements: Invader, Raider (first time for this one too).

#52 yuval

yuval

Always outnumbered, Never outgunned

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 0418 AM

The whole team on this, but foremost Doc_Holiday13, he scouted for 5288 dmg in an ELC... :o

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka 2013-11-19 09:07:13
Vehicle: ARL V39
Experience received: 528
Credits received: 15 340
Battle Achievements: Invader, Raider (first time for this one too).

just read this at the forums :)

#53 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 0437 AM

He he, that's the one.

The reasons I did not credit the Tiger 1, is simply I thought he was lucky. He drove the Tiger 1/3 across the field or something.

But yes, in all honesty, victory wes at least both their work. :)

#54 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 1326 PM

Lots of teams lately. Even though I do some terrible matches, I still manage to get wins.

62% wr in KV-1S over last 127 games.

64% in Tiger 1 over last 11 games.

51% in V39 over last 62 games.

#55 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer wargames.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 1340 PM

Lots of teams lately. Even though I do some terrible matches, I still manage to get wins.
62% wr in KV-1S over last 127 games.
64% in Tiger 1 over last 11 games.
51% in V39 over last 62 games.

Me too, since last update i am doing significantly better, getting close to 55% win rate. Had a 11 game winning streak in the tiger today :)

#56 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 0342 AM

Wormstrand11th

Ruinberg encounter, he is in SU-122-44, I am in T69.

We along with way too few others went east.

He started yelling at me for causing us to lose that flank - eventually. I did not know what to expect from him, tried to explain that if I am behind a building and two enemies come on one side, and one on the other, while I am reloading, I can sidescrape my ass off, and it wont matter.

We kept on bitching back and forth for a while, and at that point I was annoyed with him.

Immediately after game he opens chat with me, and we actually had a good discussion, coming out well off, and he appologized for shouting in game.

Btw, we won the game. He did good dmg, and I did good spotting.

#57 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 1515 PM

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka 2013-12-18 20:51:41
Vehicle: T54E1
Experience received: 3 230 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 63 939

Most of the team actually resembled a team.

24 shots fired, 22 hits, 20 pens.

5018 dmg and spot 1032.

#58 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 1650 PM

Had a really bad day up to this point.  Had players on my own team shooting me (and as recently pointed out on here, there's no way I can get them in trouble for it).  Had idiotic teams at high tiers with not even the most basic idea of how to play a map (doing nothing but camping both hills as the SE team on Redshire).  The list goes on.

Then I got Lakeville.  I asked off the bat if we could get a passive scout to go mid.  Two players volunteered and not a single "who the fuck are you to tell us how to play" (kind of sad how often I get that when requesting rather basic things in games).  Said scout lights up several of the enemy going town and we get in some decent damage.  The majority of our team also goes town and stays fairly close and doesn't advance too far (allowing us TDs to get in shots behind the church on the enemy team).  Our valley group is all of 2 and does a good job holding off the enemy there (they were actually communicating quite a bit with each other through the game).

The game ends 15-2.  Basic teamwork, proper tank play, and basic map knowledge ended up with an impressive win.  More games need to be this way.

#59 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 1900 PM

Highway as the SW team.

Even with the "map changes" I still feel like the SW Team is at a severe disadvantage.  Curious to see the new map stats.

#60 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 1706 PM

I had a horrible start to the day.  Was effectively one-shot when a 183 got a very low chance pen with HESH on the LFP of my E-100 and set me on fire.  Later had 3 arty per team on the reworked (and still horrid) Komarin who focused on nothing but me.  Teams finding a way to get 6-7 killed in the first minute.  I started 0-4 in my E-100 which is unheard of.  Then this game happened...

Victory!
Battle: Ensk 1/21/2014 2:37:10 PM
Vehicle: E 100
Experience received: 3,518 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 85,212

It looked like it was going to be another loss.  Almost no one went town and what we had in field was dilly-dallying up north.  The enemy pushed up and actually got inside that top donut set of buildings that the northern team (us) usually hangs out in.  They make their push up the middle (I was in the corner of the buildings at the intersection in D1) and a friendly to my left/east is killed.  That turns out to be the deciding moment.

The reason is he was the best cover I could hope for.  I hide my LFP behind him and take pot shots at the enemy trying to push up.  A T95 moves up and charges me and I push the hull into him.  He has no choices since any way he chooses to go I can simply go the other and I'm faster.  That effectively negates him till he's killed by friendlies who eventually come behind.  I had 2 friendlies in the rubble behind me which engaged enemies coming up the 1 line.  We turned a 4-7 start into a 15-11 win!

I actually made the point of contacting the survivors and telling them good job.  Maybe they thought I was being facetious because no one responded.  There were more I wanted to thank but in the heat of the game I lost track of who covered my butt on some of those engagements.

Edited by Skywalkre, 21 January 2014 - 1710 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users