206 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,024 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 1118 AM

Trying to finish Castles of Steel after putting it down due to elections, homebuying, moving and holidays. I'm just shy of halfway through. I was unpacking my books and realized I have a LOT of books I've bought and never read, sheesh.

#22 Ol Paint

Ol Paint

Wing-Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Trucks, AFVs, Aircraft, Ships, Cars, Heavy Equipment, Engineering...

Posted 11 January 2005 - 1508 PM

Am partway through "The Sea Hawks," but got sidetracked watching "'Allo 'Allo--Season One" instead. "The Sea Hawks" is an autobiographical book by a USN officer who spent 2 years on PT boats during WWII. From 1940-1942, he was on destroyers. Decent read, so far, although he zips through his destroyer time in the matter of a couple of chapters--and those chapters are mostly about the girls he met.

I also liked "When Thunder Rolled." I thought the bit about the "High G Snap Rolls" was good.

Douglas

Edited by Ol Paint, 07 January 2013 - 1757 PM.

#23 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,683 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 11 January 2005 - 2334 PM

I'm catching up on back issues of Wings, Airpower and Air Forces Monthly that I have bought over the last few years and never got around to reading.

#24 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 12 January 2005 - 1700 PM

Right now "The Second Foundation" by Asimov.

#25 Paul G

Paul G

Masshole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Interests:Military stuff, guns & beer, wargaming

Posted 13 January 2005 - 1147 AM

Currently reading Bill Bryson's, A Short History of Nearly Everything. Got hooked on his A-trail book, very reader-friendly author. His book on Australia was good too.

This could be called "science for dummies". Interesting read though as he puts a writers twist on the hard sciences. You can tell he's very interested in the personalites involved.

#26 mattblack

mattblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 1211 PM

I finally started Shake Hands With the Devil by Romeo Dallaire . If anyone has any lingering doubts as the the sheer worthliness of Kofi Annan and the United Nations , this should clear them up . I hadn't been on a good French loathing binge until reading the remarks about the paras "going to save their good friends" . It isn't like we had much to be proud of over that mess either - everyone should read it as an example of why " never again " is rubbish and in case they've been feeling too good about humanity in general recently .

#27 Colin Williams

Colin Williams

Faible Tonnage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 1547 PM

I just picked up a complete set of Churchill's 6-volume history of the Second World War for $15. I haven't read these since I was a teenager (except for the occasional peak to research an issue now and then).

#28 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • 29,024 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 1559 PM

I just picked up a complete set of Churchill's 6-volume history of the Second World War for $15. I haven't read these since I was a teenager (except for the occasional peak to research an issue now and then).

View Post

You bastard!

I started reading the series and got deep into volume 3 and then the girlfirend who owned the books(they were her grandfather's) and I broke up so that was that. Then during the Hurricane I&I we stopped at a great used bookstore in Sharpsburg I believe and he had the original printing in decent condition but I had zero room in my luggage to take it home on the plane. All they sell now are recent paperback additions so I'll have to scour the used book stores. :(

#29 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 0052 AM

Trying to finish Castles of Steel after putting it down due to elections, homebuying, moving and holidays. I'm just shy of halfway through. I was unpacking my books and realized I have a LOT of books I've bought and never read, sheesh.

View Post

My favorite part is the bit where Prince Albert (the future King George VI) climbs out on top of his turret on Collingwood to sun himself between the late afternoon and early evening engagements with the High Seas Fleet.

#30 Tiemler

Tiemler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 0443 AM

I'm currently dividing my reading time among...

Into The Green, Cherokee Paul McDonald

This collection of Vietnam anecdotes is a fast read, and I take in a short chapter or two each evening. If the author isn't doing screenplays, he missed his true calling.

The Valhalla Exchange, Jack Higgins

My first Higgins novel. Good so far.

The Helmsman, Bill Baldwin

Uninvolving space opera, but I want to finish it.

Once I polish these off, I'm on to...

The Count of Monte Cristo, (unabridged version) Alexandre Dumas

I fell in love with this novel, but discovered to my horror I'd read an abridged copy. Correcting that error will take some time, as this is a seriously long book.

A Walk In Wolf Wood, Mary Stewart

A childhood favorite. I don't remember too many of the details, but I do remember by book report getting marked down because I couldn't identify enough faults in it.

Samurai!, Saburo Sakai

It'll be fascinating to read a WWII memoir from an IJN perspective.

#31 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • 29,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 1002 AM

My favorite part is the bit where Prince Albert (the future King George VI) climbs out on top of his turret on Collingwood to sun himself between the late afternoon and early evening engagements with the High Seas Fleet.

View Post

I'll look for that one. Hipper's battlecruisers just escaped after shelling some English towns and it sounded like Beatty was going to cry. Massie doesn't seem too impressed with him.

#32 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 1005 AM

I'll look for that one. Hipper's battlecruisers just escaped after shelling some English towns and it sounded like Beatty was going to cry. Massie doesn't seem too impressed with him.

View Post

Hipper gets some respect for his behavior at Jutland. Beatty comes off a rather tragickal figure.

#33 Colin Williams

Colin Williams

Faible Tonnage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 1213 PM

You bastard!

I started reading the series and got deep into volume 3 and then the girlfirend who owned the books(they were her grandfather's) and I broke up so that was that. Then during the Hurricane I&I we stopped at a great used bookstore in Sharpsburg I believe and he had the original printing in decent condition but I had zero room in my luggage to take it home on the plane. All they sell now are recent paperback additions so I'll have to scour the used book stores. :(

View Post

I won't spoil the ending for you then. :D

#34 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • 29,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 1254 PM

I won't spoil the ending for you then.  :D

View Post

Was it Goering in the study with the candle stick?

#35 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 1321 PM

Was it Goering in the study with the candle stick?

View Post

It was Churchill in the bedroom with the whiskey bottle.

#36 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,650 posts
  • Interests:The men of the World War II Commonwealth Armies

Posted 15 January 2005 - 1054 AM

"Quartered Safe Out Here: A Recollection of the War in Burma" by George Fraser.

His Flashman books were a hoot, and his biography is good reading so far.

View Post

An outstanding book I've now read several times.

I haven't read any of the Flashman books, but please do find a copy of his THE COMPLETE MCAUSLAN" when you're done QUARTERED SAFE. It's a compendium of three books, all of which, while being "fictionalized", stand as his own experience in a postwar Highland regiment as a junior officer (where QUARTERED SAFE leaves off). I was struck by so much (I'm half-Scot) that I wrote a note on email to the publisher... about two months later I received a very nice handwritten card from GMF himself.

#37 Scott Cunningham

Scott Cunningham

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • Interests:Member, Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Posted 15 January 2005 - 1106 AM

Just finished the January edition of Penthouse Forum

#38 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 0811 AM

BWAAHHAAAA! LMFAO!

Just finished the January edition of Penthouse Forum

View Post

#39 MovinTarget

MovinTarget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:F1, planes, cars, driving

Posted 16 January 2005 - 1030 AM

Currently reading "Man is Wolf to Man" by Janusz Bardach, a Jewish Pole who managed to end up in the Soviet gulags during the second world war.

After reading the chapter on his punishment in the "isolater" in a Kolyma prison camp I've never been so glad of a warm bed in my life...

#40 Guest_Hans Engström_*

Guest_Hans Engström_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2005 - 1850 PM

Gerald Seymours The Unknown Soldier, good thriller, and scary as hell, not to mention putting across the Arab/Moslemviewpoint fairly well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users