46 replies to this topic

#41 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 1842 PM

Time to revive SEATO, perhaps an enlarged version which might include Taiwan, Indonesia, and the Philippines, and have joint naval exercises in the immediate vicinity of the Spratly Islands.

#42 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 1921 PM

Time to revive SEATO, perhaps an enlarged version which might include Taiwan, Indonesia, and the Philippines, and have joint naval exercises in the immediate vicinity of the Spratly Islands.

I could understand no Nobu :)

But no Japan?

#43 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 2312 PM

The Republic of Chinese/Taiwanese claims on the Spratleys that are the basis of Chinese claims in the South China Sea might complicate such exercises in various ways. 

#44 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1217 PM

Lockheed Martin moved the F-16 production line to South Carolina, primarily to free up factory space for the F-35. I wonder if they anticipated all this continuing interest in the F-16?

#45 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1930 PM

Lockheed Martin moved the F-16 production line to South Carolina, primarily to free up factory space for the F-35. I wonder if they anticipated all this continuing interest in the F-16?

For one they still have orders in the books and two not everyone can afford or for three is able to get the okay from the USa to buy F-35.

#46 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 1000 AM

2019 National Defense Report by the ROC Ministry of National Defense

https://www.mnd.gov....-108-中文.pdf

#47 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 1050 AM

There might have been a need to do so after consideration of Make in India as well as "sell to India" fell through.

The Republic of Chinese seem perfectly capable of devoting the resources to the actual building of 80s-era airframes on their own. The interesting question would be why they appear to have abandoned this approach.

Edited by Nobu, 11 September 2019 - 1127 AM.