361 replies to this topic

#361 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,662 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0212 AM

Yes and no. Yes, it was a crime to disenfranchise a lot of poor people in the regions (a similar apathy to the poor exists to this day, so its something still in the English character). That said, when you read accounts of the corruption in many of those monasteries, and the claim by Cromwell and others they were well past their best, then I can see a persuasive case they were soaking up a lot of the productive real estate of the country and producing little in return. That the industrial revolution arguably started in Elizabeth I reign, then I think there is some linkage (unwitting, assuredly) between the dissolution of the monasteries and the rise of industrialism.

For me, the sole crime Cromwell was responsible for in the dissolution of the monasteries was an aesthetic one, in that he destroyed what was beautiful architecture. But even that was not complete. Many of those monasteries were resoled as protestant houses of worship. The best example off the top of my head was Gloucester Abby, which still stands intact as a Cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia...loucester_Abbey

I read not long ago a letter that was part of a discussion between Cromwell and Malmesbury Abby, a dissolved Abby that existed (and to a large extent, still exists) not far from where I live. That was really an interesting exchange, id be tempted to post it up if I can find it.

#362 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0413 AM

At a guess I would suggest that most English people know nothing of More and Cromwell and many probably couldn't tell you how many wives Henry had.

I confess I can't immediately recall their names.

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived sticks in the mind, though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)