5454 replies to this topic

#5441 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1109 AM

It should be possible to add K-1 on top of the "Brow" armor, right? I assume that it would be a rather simple modification, and it's really needed for the sides of the tank too.

Biggest problem is weight. Brows already weigh pretty enough, adding full set of K1 would cost another couple of tonnes.

I have read that the T-62MV with ERA (not quite sure what generation is installed) doesn't have the applique armour around the turret front nor on the glacis plate either.  Most likely due to weight issues I gather?  T-62MV's did exist - IWM Duxford had one at some point in time - however I don't recall just how many were ever made or at least had ERA added to them.

Great pictures though!  Is that a standard T-62M or an upgraded version?

#5442 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1413 PM

T-62M-1 - T-62M with V-46-5M engine

#5443 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1827 PM

uEcUnRLc78U.jpg

qdJpEoADgws.jpg

T-62M-1

I found a link to some more photos of that rail movement of T-62M-1s, and there were several tanks on that pictured train.  Some were painted green as in your photos, and others were painted in a medium shade of brown:

mnSRxlo.jpg

IlTDfqk.jpg

Then we have this T-62M, almost entirely brown with a green external fuel cell:

56md2Ox.jpg

Edited by Dark_Falcon, 21 September 2017 - 2346 PM.

#5444 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,129 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 21 September 2017 - 2131 PM

I am surprised there is no stowage etc to counterweight the applique.

#5445 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 2321 PM

Then we have this T-62M-1, almost entirely brown with a green external fuel cell:

It's T-62M, not M-1, M-1 have box for air filter on the right side of the hull

There was version with rear turret (2 blocks on front 2 blocks on rear) applique armor, but not as counterweight

Edited by Wiedzmin, 21 September 2017 - 2329 PM.

#5446 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 2354 PM

Then we have this T-62M-1, almost entirely brown with a green external fuel cell:

It's T-62M, not M-1, M-1 have box for air filter on the right side of the hull

There was version with rear turret (2 blocks on front 2 blocks on rear) applique armor, but not as counterweight

Thanks, I edited the post.  Once you told me what to look for, I was able to spot a difference that I think is what you were referring to: Is the box in question is just forward of the fuel cell at right rear on the green T-62M-1? Because that piece appears different from the object in front of the right rear fuel cell on the brown T-62M, which looks to be another fuel cell.

Sorry I had to ask but I want to make sure I learn so I can get the identification right next time.

#5447 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 AM

A thing I just noticed from the last photo of the batch that I posted is that the upgraded T-62s were not the only AFVs on that train.  In the top right of the photo part of another tracked AFV can be seen. It looks like a BMP-1 or 2 type vehicle to me, but I may well be wrong again.

#5448 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 AM

A thing I just noticed from the last photo of the batch that I posted is that the upgraded T-62s were not the only AFVs on that train.  In the top right of the photo part of another tracked AFV can be seen. It looks like a BMP-1 or 2 type vehicle to me, but I may well be wrong again.

BRM-1K

Sorry I had to ask but I want to make sure I learn so I can get the identification right next time.

RJDLfk4.jpg

T-55 and T-62 with V-46 have air filters outside engine deck

RJDLfk4.jpg

T-55 and T-62 with V-46 have air filters outside engine deck

#5449 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Thank you, that confirmed my understanding regarding the T-62M vs. T-62M-1.  And I'm glad to see I was right about the other vehicle being a member of the BMP family.

#5450 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 PM

This is just a snippet, but the title indicates Janes thinks something is amiss:

Russian plans to upgrade T-80 and T-90 jeopardise Armata programme

The Russian Ministry of Defence’s (MoD’s) 7 September announcement that it was revising plans to permanently remove 10,000 armoured vehicles from its inventory and upgrade T-80 and T-90 series main battle tanks (MBTs) could jeopardise the future of the Armata programme. The announcement together with the reduction in potential orders for the T-14 MBT and the continued decline in Russian defence spending have led some sources to claim that the Armata programme has been cancelled.

Under previous plans, 10,000 reserve vehicles, made available after downsizing the Russian armed forces, were to be melted down by 2020. The revised plan stated that only 4,000 vehicles would be broken down, with the remaining 6,000 kept as a strategic reserve. Russia also plans to upgrade the T-80 to the T-80BVM standard and the T-90 to the T-90M standard as part of a USD417 million contract signed earlier this year. The T-80BVM includes a significant armour upgrade, and the T-90M appears to incorporate many of the improvements from the T-14, such as the commander’s sight with an integrated remotely operated weapon station.

Initial development of the Armata started out with high hopes, but estimates of the number of vehicles to be procured have plummeted downwards since the T-14 and T-15 were unveiled. In 2015, UralVagonZavod (UVZ) CEO Oleg Sienko announced that 2,300 vehicles would be produced by 2020. In 2016, Deputy Defence Minister Yuri Borisov announced the far more sober figure of 100 before 2020, and later in the year, this figure fell to just 70 vehicles, due by the end of 2019. Borisov’s latest announcement, in August 2017, restates his figure of 100 vehicles by 2020, although this presumably includes the approximately 20 vehicles currently undergoing trials in the Russian armed forces.

I very much doubt the Armata program can been cancelled, but the questions Janes asks are worth asking.

#5451 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted Today, 02:49 AM

This is just a snippet, but the title indicates Janes thinks something is amiss:

Russian plans to upgrade T-80 and T-90 jeopardise Armata programme

The Russian Ministry of Defence’s (MoD’s) 7 September announcement that it was revising plans to permanently remove 10,000 armoured vehicles from its inventory and upgrade T-80 and T-90 series main battle tanks (MBTs) could jeopardise the future of the Armata programme. The announcement together with the reduction in potential orders for the T-14 MBT and the continued decline in Russian defence spending have led some sources to claim that the Armata programme has been cancelled.

Under previous plans, 10,000 reserve vehicles, made available after downsizing the Russian armed forces, were to be melted down by 2020. The revised plan stated that only 4,000 vehicles would be broken down, with the remaining 6,000 kept as a strategic reserve. Russia also plans to upgrade the T-80 to the T-80BVM standard and the T-90 to the T-90M standard as part of a USD417 million contract signed earlier this year. The T-80BVM includes a significant armour upgrade, and the T-90M appears to incorporate many of the improvements from the T-14, such as the commander’s sight with an integrated remotely operated weapon station.

Initial development of the Armata started out with high hopes, but estimates of the number of vehicles to be procured have plummeted downwards since the T-14 and T-15 were unveiled. In 2015, UralVagonZavod (UVZ) CEO Oleg Sienko announced that 2,300 vehicles would be produced by 2020. In 2016, Deputy Defence Minister Yuri Borisov announced the far more sober figure of 100 before 2020, and later in the year, this figure fell to just 70 vehicles, due by the end of 2019. Borisov’s latest announcement, in August 2017, restates his figure of 100 vehicles by 2020, although this presumably includes the approximately 20 vehicles currently undergoing trials in the Russian armed forces.

I very much doubt the Armata program can been cancelled, but the questions Janes asks are worth asking.

It looks like just a delay; the modernisation program seems like good value and worth doing, and earlier rather than later. Amarta on the other hand still has some room for improvement so there is some benefit to delaying large scale production.

Edited by KV7, Today, 02:49 AM.

#5452 demosthenes

demosthenes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted Today, 04:35 AM

Armata was never going to replace the entire tank fleet. T-90/T-80 were always going to remain in some capacity for decades to come.

#5453 Hakka

Hakka

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted Today, 04:40 AM

T-14 will be to the T-90 what the T-90 was to the T-72 during the 90's and early 00's.

#5454 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted Today, 04:48 AM

T-62M-1 - T-62M with V-46-5M engine

Much appreciated yet again Bojan.  I can tell a T-62M from other variants of the T-62 but since there are so many variations of the T-62M itself, that isn't quite so easy.  But at least now I have an idea what to look for, so that's a great help.  Are there any external features that can tell you if a T-62M has the capability to fire the Sheksna or not? 

I must admit, I never actually spotted the BRM-1K!  

The news concerning the upgrading of T-72/T-80/T-90 tanks doesn't surprise me because I'm certain I read that was supposed to happen anyway, alongside the fielding of the Armata series of vehicles.  How units that would field the Armata would be chose, I'm less certain of.  Do they have to be generally better trained or is it more about what district/area the unit is based at?  

#5455 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted Today, 05:18 AM

To replace ALL tanks in current and future service there is something like 3.5-4k T-14 needed. It would be at least decade to produce that much(if even would ne decided to switch all fleet). And old by now T-80 would be mammoth shit decade later, adequate by now T-90A would be old and so on. IF upgrade programm would be comparable in prices with T-72B3 programm - it would totally worth it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gavin-Phillips