497 replies to this topic

#481 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 0507 AM

Isn't the point that a strong garrison is better than having to try to retake an island captured by an enemy hoping for a cheap (political) victory?

The point is luring them to an island where Godzilla is asleep so that when they wake him up by attacking and taking over the island, he goes on a rampage through China and then onwards to Russia. But regardless, the garrison is kept weak so as to not disturp him (again).

#482 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,787 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 16 April 2018 - 0630 AM

Rumour has it the new air launched Iskander has a cadmium tipped anti Godzilla version.

#483 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Novichok is the New Black

• Members
  • 44,687 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 0636 AM

I yearn for a Putin vs Godzilla movie.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 16 April 2018 - 0651 AM.

#484 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,251 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 16 April 2018 - 0701 AM

I yearn for a Putin vs Godzilla movie.

Pacific Rim Three

#485 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 0956 AM

Just some pictures.

Minesweepers

jmsdf1.jpg

Couple more pictures in spoiler

Spoiler

#486 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,777 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 05 May 2018 - 1457 PM

I was thinking how much more the Japanese get out of their investment in defence vs the UK, and wondered how they compared. Some surprises there:

https://countryecono...apan/uk?sc=XE34

#487 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 0547 AM

Joint training between the JGSDF and JMSDF in amphibious operations in order to improve their cooperation and effectiveness as working as one. 450 personnel from the JGSDF will use 120mm mortars, medium range multi-purpose guided missiles, AAV7s, CH-47s、etc. JMSDF will use JS Hyuga and JS Shimokita (including two LCACS). Time is May 8th to May 24th and is at the waters west of Kyushu and around Kagoshima Prefecture.
http://www.mod.go.jp...df/20180508.pdf

Edited by JasonJ, 08 May 2018 - 0550 AM.

#488 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 21,787 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 12 May 2018 - 1008 AM

I was thinking how much more the Japanese get out of their investment in defence vs the UK, and wondered how they compared. Some surprises there:

https://countryecono...apan/uk?sc=XE34

It's interesting, but you have to factor in that we cook the books a little by declaring, for example, ongoing operations as defence expenditure. We tend to invest more in out of area operations at the expense of capabilities to do things on our own doorstep. Being a nuclear power obviously sucks up quite a bit of our budget. What surprises me is that the Japanese can deploy so much kit when they insist on making much of it themselves - some of that kit is really interesting and in some instances arguably far better than what we have, including the Type 10 tank and various ATGW and precision attack missisles.

#489 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 1341 PM

Yes, definitely there's a lot of apples to oranges there, but also it's interesting to think what can be achieved if the UK and Japan cooperated, both being island nations with a vested interest in a strong navy and similar land forces requirements.

#490 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 2024 PM

Japan-UK cooperation in a new AAM is a start. There's a possibility of cooperation in a new stealth fighter. Even though Lockheed offered the F-22/F-35 tech info, but who knows what kind of strings could be attached. The F-2 was really expensive, although I'm not entirely sure how much it was because of lockheed's involement. BAE was approached as a possible partner. A critical componant that Japan needed for the F-2 was the engine. This time, Japan is working on a 15 ton class engine. So BAE might be a sufficient enough partner.

Edited by JasonJ, 12 May 2018 - 2026 PM.

#491 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 0253 AM

There are also synergies in areas such as surface combatants and land combat systems, specially now that the JSDGF is becoming more expeditionary.

#492 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 1411 PM

More Bushmaster PMV deliveries for JGSDF:

https://mobile.twitt...572005016199174

#493 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 1902 PM

More Bushmaster PMV deliveries for JGSDF:
https://mobile.twitt...572005016199174

Looks like a second batch of four vehicles to make a total of 8 now.
http://www.janes.com...-sales-to-japan

Edited by JasonJ, 16 May 2018 - 1902 PM.

#494 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 0909 AM

Demonstration in fairly heavy looking rain.

#495 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 44,687 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 1104 AM

Japan-UK cooperation in a new AAM is a start. There's a possibility of cooperation in a new stealth fighter. Even though Lockheed offered the F-22/F-35 tech info, but who knows what kind of strings could be attached. The F-2 was really expensive, although I'm not entirely sure how much it was because of lockheed's involement. BAE was approached as a possible partner. A critical componant that Japan needed for the F-2 was the engine. This time, Japan is working on a 15 ton class engine. So BAE might be a sufficient enough partner.

BAE  certainly had a stealth fighter concept being tested some years ago, as you can see on the stealth thread.

I idly wonder if a V/STOL RPV might be a good idea if you stop to think about it.

#496 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 2135 PM

BAE  certainly had a stealth fighter concept being tested some years ago, as you can see on the stealth thread.

I idly wonder if a V/STOL RPV might be a good idea if you stop to think about it.

JGSDF has had a few small unmanned helicopters for short distance forward observation for about a decade in service now so must be getting a bit old tech-wise.

https://ja.wikipedia...測システム

ATM, I can't recall ever seeing a naval type. Does BAE have any work on heli RPVs?

#497 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 44,687 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:58 AM

I was thinking less Helicopter RPV's, than something like a scaled down X47 powered by a pegasus engine. After all, you are getting helicopter carriers, we are getting 2 vstol carriers.

Ive no idea if anyone has looked at it to see if its feasible, something tells me it would prove useful.

#498 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,418 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:04 AM

I was thinking less Helicopter RPV's, than something like a scaled down X47 powered by a pegasus engine. After all, you are getting helicopter carriers, we are getting 2 vstol carriers.

Ive no idea if anyone has looked at it to see if its feasible, something tells me it would prove useful.

Looks like a support aircraft that would compliment F-35Bs could be made around that engine. Izumo is probably going to get converted into a vstol carrier as well. Certainly would mean that Kaga could be converted in the same way. In the end, Japan may have two vstol carriers 10 years from now. Figuring that the USN would make a support craft that would use EMALS, a pegasus engined RPV would likely not have to deal with competition. Could even perhaps get the interest of the USMC for their amphibious assault ships. It's a neat idea, what could be wrong with it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users