21 replies to this topic

#1 APF

APF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Interests:my children, RC, (push-)bike, kayak, electronics

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0932 AM

Nice. I just had to solve a problem for my youngest one which was too good to not to share:

So, first, we don't have a TV so my children are TV-illiterates.

Ok, imagine the youngest one coming to me because she could solve the following maths homework:

On a TV quiz the 16.000 Euro Question for a candidate was:

Every rectangle is a..
1) square
2) rhomboid
3) parallelogram

Explain why the candidate got a second chance.

Turned out she was confused because she didn't knew how those quiz shows work.

Edited by APF, 17 January 2019 - 0933 AM.

#2 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,873 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1141 AM

And so that's not a maths question.

#3 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,784 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1407 PM

Yeah, badly formed question. Is it a math test or something else? Explain why? Does it need a 4 paragraph essay?

#4 APF

APF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1536 PM

Well, the answer is that *all* the answers to choose from were wrong (that's the math part) so the candidate wasn't able to pick a right answer at all and had to be given a second question. The TV-social part is probably no big deal for those pesky 98%-ish kids who know their quiz shows, but for the rest it's a bit puzzling.

#5 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1548 PM

Well, the answer is that *all* the answers to choose from were wrong (that's the math part) so the candidate wasn't able to pick a right answer at all and had to be given a second question. The TV-social part is probably no big deal for those pesky 98%-ish kids who know their quiz shows, but for the rest it's a bit puzzling.

You could ask about recatangles and stuff without framing it as a TV quiz show.

#6 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Interests:tanks, driving, hockey

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1558 PM

I've been out of grade school for a few years now, but rectangles aren't parallelograms?

#7 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1627 PM

Wiki

Traditionally, in two-dimensional geometry, a rhomboid is a parallelogram in which adjacent sides are of unequal lengths and angles are non-right angled.

A parallelogram with sides of equal length (equilateral) is a rhombus but not a rhomboid.

A parallelogram with right angled corners is a rectangle but not a rhomboid.

#8 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1649 PM

Ahem.

xquadrilateral.png.pagespeed.ic.1sXyRZ6z

#9 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,873 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1908 PM

You have 3 apples in one hand and 2 pears in the other. Why are the bananas yellow?

#10 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1924 PM

Green. Because Motorcycles don't have windows.

#11 APF

APF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 0242 AM

You could ask about recatangles and stuff without framing it as a TV quiz show.

Sure. But "Textaufgaben" (story problems) are supposed to be a bit entertaining. As far as I'm concerned it definitely was.

#12 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 0629 AM

Sure. But "Textaufgaben" (story problems) are supposed to be a bit entertaining. As far as I'm concerned it definitely was.

Of course. But what I remember from my time in Grundschule, this type of problems were always a bit odd. Though I think the purpose is less math and more the reading comprehension to filter a text.

And I agree the entertainment value of the generational disconnect between the writer and your child not knowing TV quiz shows. ^_^

#13 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1317 PM

Nice. I just had to solve a problem for my youngest one which was too good to not to share:

So, first, we don't have a TV so my children are TV-illiterates.

Ok, imagine the youngest one coming to me because she could solve the following maths homework:

Turned out she was confused because she didn't knew how those quiz shows work.

on the other side - friend of mine told how his 8 year old daughter asked something from her grandmother.

granny - ´´...aaand what´s the magic word?´´

child - ´´....mmmmm....avada kedavra!`´

Edited by bd1, 18 January 2019 - 1318 PM.

#14 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 24,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1335 PM

So a square isn't a rectangle?

#15 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,525 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1419 PM

I read the hierarchy as a square being both a type of rectangle and rhombus, and both of the latter being a type of parallelogram. Which is correct if you think about it.

#16 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 24,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1540 PM

I read the hierarchy as a square being both a type of rectangle and rhombus, and both of the latter being a type of parallelogram. Which is correct if you think about it.

I simply refer to Euclid who would have answered that the rectangle is a parallelogram.  Euclid, and Archimedes both defined rhomboid as having adjacent sides of unequal length and angles that are not right-angles.  A rectangle is not a rhomboid.  A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with opposites of equal lengths and opposite angles are of equal measure.  Rectangles are parallelograms.  A square is a quadrilateral with four equal sides and four right-angles.  A rectangle is not a square.

So, by the logic that we're just going to throw out 2000 year old definitions because they are inconvenient, then we can also state that a square is not a rectangle.

Edited by DKTanker, 18 January 2019 - 1540 PM.

#17 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,525 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1557 PM

Everything you say up to your last line is correct, it just has no connection to the latter. ;)

#18 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 24,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 1623 PM

Everything you say up to your last line is correct, it just has no connection to the latter. ;)

Sure it does. The original premise is that the question could not be answered because a rectangle is not a parallelogram.  My point is that if a rectangle is not a parallelogram then surely a square is not a rectangle.

#19 APF

APF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 0526 AM

I simply refer to Euclid who would have answered that the rectangle is a parallelogram.  Euclid, and Archimedes both defined rhomboid as having adjacent sides of unequal length and angles that are not right-angles.  A rectangle is not a rhomboid.  A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with opposites of equal lengths and opposite angles are of equal measure.  Rectangles are parallelograms.  A square is a quadrilateral with four equal sides and four right-angles.  A rectangle is not a square.

So, by the logic that we're just going to throw out 2000 year old definitions because they are inconvenient, then we can also state that a square is not a rectangle.

As the original question was whether *every* rectangle is a .... your reasoning is a bit beside the point.

Edited by APF, 19 January 2019 - 0534 AM.

#20 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 0642 AM

So a square isn't a rectangle?

Not if it self identifies as a triangle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users