• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,079 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 12 August 2016 - 2145 PM

Aside from the above powdered sugar reference, no mention of French toast. Interesting; an American breakfast staple.

As a kid, I loved French toast the American way; a frightening load of powdered sugar, topped with artificial maple syrup. I couldn't get that down these days.

Now, what I like is just the basic toast with a frightening load of melted butter, cinnamon, and some real OOT maple syrup (not too much).

#22 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 12 August 2016 - 2156 PM

Some restaurants, when they make French toast, they use really thick slices of bread, that regardless how much syrup or whatever I pour onto it, it tastes like eating a sponge full of motor oil.

Prefer the home made ones my sister makes, using thin slices of white bread.

If you eat multiple pancakes, wot is your method? Eat them one by one? Stack them up? If you stack them up, do you put butter and syrup per slice or only on the top?

#23 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 2212 PM

Forgot about French toast. Love that stuff, but I would rather go all in and eat bread pudding if I had my choice. 

#24 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,079 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 13 August 2016 - 0024 AM

Some restaurants, when they make French toast, they use really thick slices of bread, that regardless how much syrup or whatever I pour onto it, it tastes like eating a sponge full of motor oil.

If its made from the right type of bread, thick slices are the way to go. Don't ask me how to do it right, my home attempts have been lousy.

If you eat multiple pancakes, wot is your method? Eat them one by one? Stack them up? If you stack them up, do you put butter and syrup per slice or only on the top?

I used to spread them out, put a tab of butter on each, then stack them up so that the butter would melt. Syrup then on top. Nowadays I eat far fewer at a sitting, so I array them out, make sure each has some syrup, then stack them up so they can be wedged out uniformly.

#25 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 1701 PM

Waffles. Hardley ever eat them or pancakes but when I do it is a Sunday breakfast treat while reading the Sunday paper. With pancakes the syrup will run off the cakes, over the plate edge and onto the table, paper, and me.

This does not happen when the syrup is applied to waffles.  The little "dough hedgerows" contain the syrup. Also with waffles if you use two diffrent colored syrups you can play tic-tac-to ;)

#26 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 14 August 2016 - 1529 PM

I prefer to make pancakes because we have a large griddle on our Viking range, which is easier to use and clean than a waffle iron, and represents a much larger surface area than a waffle iron.

I make the pancakes small which (1) maximizes the ratio of yummy brown surface area to boring internal volume and (2) makes quality control much easier, because I can have fifteen to twenty silver-dollar-sized pancakes going with thirty seconds between them. As I flip one over, I can adjust the time to flip over the next one based on visual inspection of the cooked surface (too light => wait longer; too dark => flip sooner). Also (3) it shortens first-pancake delivery latency to my wife's hungry mouth.

For presentation, I make three or four stacks side-by-side on the plate with small slivers of butter between each. My wife prefers to eat them with her fingers, so a mini-pot of maple syrup is provided on the side for dipping.

I eat the rejects as they are discovered, so no plate required for me! :-)

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 1600 PM

I make the pancakes small which (1) maximizes the ratio of yummy brown surface area to boring internal volume and (2) makes quality control much easier, because I can have fifteen to twenty silver-dollar-sized pancakes going with thirty seconds between them. As I flip one over, I can adjust the time to flip over the next one based on visual inspection of the cooked surface (too light => wait longer; too dark => flip sooner). Also (3) it shortens first-pancake delivery latency to my wife's hungry mouth.

Does not sound like Six Sigma best practices...

I eat the rejects as they are discovered, so no plate required for me! :-)

That's what dogs are for.

#28 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 14 August 2016 - 2016 PM

Our dogs are six and twelve pounds, respectively :-D they would get so fat!!

#29 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Location:Sellin them conre durgs to kid,s in a school near YOU, sport! I culd go onand on!!
  • Interests:Trollin'. Get'n paided. No bonuses, tho.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 0518 AM

One by one. As a wrap filled with a load of fried ground beef and dipped into hot sauce and sour cream, cottage cheese with raisins, or caramelized, sugared condensed milk. Or cream made from cottage cheese, smoked salmon and leek - YUMMY!!!

#30 WRW

WRW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:OOB, Military Technology, Terrorism, Counter Insurgency, C4I

Posted 15 September 2016 - 0548 AM

Why or

Go with and

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users