743 replies to this topic

#1 DT

DT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Armor, guns, technology, and computers

Posted 18 December 2012 - 1625 PM

1. What is the rectangular box on rear of turret? It has some duct work leading to or from it. I seen something similar on back of Scimitar hull.
2. On rear of Chieftain hull what is the purpose rectangular box with 3 exhaust? Presumably 2 are used for engine exhaust.
3. On right mid hull under turret. What is the circular thing
4. Did the Mk 5 use a ranging machine gun?
5. Did Mk 5 have night vision capability (as in could the search light could be depicted either filtered or white light correctly on a model)?

Edited by DT, 18 December 2012 - 1628 PM.

#2 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 0623 AM

1. NBC pack.
2. Vented armoured box for three exhausts-the small one is for the GUE-I think it is to cool the exhaust, can't recall exactly.
3. Electrics exit the vehicle at this point; there is a large distribution box fixed to the hull internally below this cover.
4. Never saw one myself but there were various marques of MK5; the RMG had only recently been removed when I joined in 1984.
5. The searchlight had an IR cover which could be swung out of the way (electrically) to give white light.

#3 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, building large scale models of tanks, writing AFV books

Posted 19 December 2012 - 0749 AM

4 yes it did have RG
5 yes thats the idea of the IR searchlight

#4 CV9030FIN

CV9030FIN

Former FDF tanker - current FDF PowerpointRanger flying the desk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Tactics, technics. prosedures, technology and history related to armored warfare.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 0807 AM

5. The searchlight had an IR cover which could be swung out of the way (electrically) to give white light.

5 yes thats the idea of the IR searchlight

How on earth that worked? :blink: Pics of the mechanism?

#5 CV9030FIN

CV9030FIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Tactics, technics. prosedures, technology and history related to armored warfare.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 0849 AM

Thanks Stu! Your answer was good, but useless... :huh:

Ie. I don't own any Chieftain book's... :D

Edit: Second question: Is Chieftain search light slaved with maingun? If so how this is done as the light is not above or side of guntube? (See: Russian T-series or US M-48/60 series)

Edited by CV9030FIN, 19 December 2012 - 0858 AM.

#6 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, building large scale models of tanks, writing AFV books

Posted 19 December 2012 - 1337 PM

The searchlight had a outer door to protect it from elements only, if this was open the light was in white light mode, if required the IR door could also be opened giving a 2kw white light, as for slaving it, simplicity itself, does not need to be above below alongside to be slaved, light was mounted inside the box on gimbals the whole thing connected to a servo linked to gun, so gun goes up light goes up, gun goes down light goes down. The gunner also had a trim control that gave a few mils elevation and depresssion to help alighn the beast.

Used in 2 ways, 1 as Stu said the buddy system or 2nd in IR mode with gunners and commanders IR sights fitted, mostly used in white light mode to denote 120mm had been fired at the attacking force. A great bit of kit on the main roads for annoying the ignorant drivers out there.

#7 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 1355 PM

Seen it used as a navigation aid when a Squadron leader bounced the beam off a cloud to give us his location........suggest he was showing off!

#8 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 1443 PM

..mostly used in white light mode to denote 120mm had been fired at the attacking force.

Wouldn't that be rather obvious :huh:

#9 CV9030FIN

CV9030FIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 1522 PM

..mostly used in white light mode to denote 120mm had been fired at the attacking force.

Wouldn't that be rather obvious :huh:

I believe he means in FTX's back in the old days when we didn't have those duel simulators...

Edited by CV9030FIN, 19 December 2012 - 1522 PM.

#10 DT

DT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 1851 PM

6. Where is the backup (auxillary) sight located? Is it that swing piece by cupola like the Challenger has?
7. On MK.10 or 11 a groove or opening is on the right side of Stillbrew piece of mantlet in front of sight. What is it for?
9. What is raised piece with groove between loader and TC hatch?

Edited by DT, 19 December 2012 - 1853 PM.

#11 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 2039 PM

6. Where is the backup (auxillary) sight located? Is it that swing piece by cupola like the Challenger has?
7. On MK.10 or 11 a groove or opening is on the right side of Stillbrew piece of mantlet in front of sight. What is it for?

number six answers number seven the groove is for the aux sight which was a rather long telescopic sight if I remember which needed the groove mentioned in question seven.
The raised piece is probably the light for the MRS (Muzzle Referance System) a system that uses a mirror located on the end of the main gun to compencate for muzzle droop.

That's going by memory and this picture
Posted Image

#12 AdmiralB

AdmiralB

Technical Janitor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 2045 PM

I reckon you didn't need to worry too much about your adversary having thermals; the plume of blue smoke made them rather redundant...

#13 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 0813 AM

If it's this groove, near the top of the picture, my personal theory is that it is just a strengthening rib? It also appears in the prototype turret btw.
Posted Image

#14 DT

DT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 0936 AM

Yep, JMCM thats the one I am referring to in question 9.

Edited by DT, 20 December 2012 - 0936 AM.

#15 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 1438 PM

The part of the turret it occupies is in the welded roof section-as opposed to the main cast section-dunno if that has anything to do with it's function? Used to depress me no-end because the groove filled up with rainwater, reminding me of the weather.

#16 AdmiralB

AdmiralB

Technical Janitor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 1455 PM

Mind you, T64 also having a horizontally opposed engine had a very similar problem. :)

I assumed it was part and parcel of the engine being a two-cycle.

#17 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 2028 PM

It looks like a cable raceway. If I remember there was a radiological mast that could be fitted it may be for that but I cant see where it goes forward too.

#18 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 2258 PM

It's capped at both ends and is straight in the prototype turret, pretty substantial chunk of metal.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 0844 AM

The part of the turret it occupies is in the welded roof section-as opposed to the main cast section-dunno if that has anything to do with it's function?

My first thought upon seeing it was that it was to give added beef between the two openings. Then I noticed it isn't a homogenous piece of steel, there is what appears to be a lighter metal cap running the length along the top and one side. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't intended to serve dual purposes, strength and a wiring cable way.

#20 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 1656 PM

Stuart, NOTHING was designed in the Chieftain to stop you banging your head on it! A morning in the Sim with no headgear on left your head battered and bruised. Just had an idea about our mystery "flange" btw; it's close to the header tank for the Temperature Compensated Link Bar so I suppose it's possible the tank has an extension running rearwards to give it more surface area? Clutching at straws....

Edit; ended up asking over at ArRSe, I await the no-doubt colourful replies!

Edited by jmcmtank, 21 December 2012 - 1730 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users