730 replies to this topic

#21 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 0505 AM

Anyone got pictures of the Chieftain swim kit? I know they did trials of the tank operated remotely, but can't find the footage. An ArRSer suggested a link to some of the "tubes" used for swimming and the mystery flange.

#22 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • Interests:MBT's, rock music, electric Bass Guitar's :-)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 0822 AM

Posted Image

;)

#23 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,870 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1102 AM

Good Lad! That was the picture.

So hands up, who would like to be the driver of this historic submersible? :P

I'd cheerfully pass on gunner and loader as well. :blink:

Seeing the TC up there taking in the view reminds me of the Vulcan crew who disabled the pilots' ejection seats, since there were none for the rest...

Edited by shep854, 22 December 2012 - 1104 AM.

#24 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, building large scale models of tanks, writing AFV books

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1129 AM

The bar running across the roof is nothing more exciting than a strenghning rib no pipes cables or such like.

#25 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1130 AM

A message from my editor (mods hope you do not mind)

I am pleased to officially announce that Mr Robert Griffin's new title "Photosniper 007-Chieftain Main Battle Tank: Development and Active Service from Prototype to Mk.11" from the well known Polish company Kagero Publishing will be released in late January 2013. I have had the pleasure of doing the English language editing for this work and I can tell everyone it promises to give a fine account of all the gun tank variants (Mk.1 to Mk.11). Bob has described the history as only one who has lived it can do. The book includes ORBATS (with callsigns) for a Chieftain regiment (guess which one!) in the early 1970s and again in 1989, plans for a Mk.3/3 and a Mk11, and a fine selection of over a dozen colour plates of Chieftains in British, Iranian and Kuwaiti service for the modeller. The Shrivenham Mk.11 gets the full walkaround detail treatment with lots of detail shots and there are plentiful developmental and in-service photographs of all the gun tank versions. The book will run to over 80 pages, nearly all of which have black and white and colour illustrations. Kagero has done a fine job presenting the material and it will be certain to please all fans of British postwar armour.

#26 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1259 PM

The bar running across the roof is nothing more exciting than a strenghning rib no pipes cables or such like.

Thank you Sir.

#27 Charles

Charles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Interests:AFV, Military History

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1421 PM

Bob, that is great news, available from 15 Jan 2013 (just literally checked Kagero's web site :) ). Not being greedy or anything, but do you have any news on your book(s) about Challenger 1 & 2?.

Looking forward to reading your book later next month.

Charles

#28 DT

DT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Armor, guns, technology, and computers

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1422 PM

Were the mk5 and mk 11(?) splashguards in front of the driver shaped different? On the 2 model kits I have they are but they look to be built into the hull so I'd imagine in reality they were probably the same.

#29 jmcmtank

jmcmtank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1531 PM

Were the mk5 and mk 11(?) splashguards in front of the driver shaped different? On the 2 model kits I have they are but they look to be built into the hull so I'd imagine in reality they were probably the same.

Posted Image
Depends what you mean; in the foreground is the splash plate, the rail affair directly in front of the hatch is part of the wading facility. The rail was cut away in BATUS to facilitate cleaning and prevent build-up of water but was part of the hull really so was identical in all the Mks. I've seen a modified splash plate, once, and I'm in the picture!
Posted Image

#30 DT

DT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Armor, guns, technology, and computers

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1543 PM

Referring to the grooved ring. Thanks.

#31 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1700 PM

The groove ring you mention is in fact the lip for retaining the wading envelope, in later tanks this was angle ground off as a offcial mod, from about centre of tank back. it was a standard shape and did not vary with Mks.

#32 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 1701 PM

Bob, that is great news, available from 15 Jan 2013 (just literally checked Kagero's web site :) ). Not being greedy or anything, but do you have any news on your book(s) about Challenger 1 & 2?.

Looking forward to reading your book later next month.

Charles

Charles you know more than we do then with a date :ph34r: CR1 is ready to go just depends on Chieftain sales, CR2 is also ready, Centurion I am stocking up on the pills for that one.

#33 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 1149 AM

As always a mixed bag with Chieftain, some Mk2 stayed like it all their life while some were converted to AVRE others mad it to mk11. I show 2,3,3/3 and 5 going to AVRE

#34 AdmiralB

AdmiralB

Technical Janitor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 2039 PM

Oft-quoted drivetrain issues notwithstanding, did the crews like it?

#35 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 1530 PM

I think that the best answer to that lies on Facebook where there is a large and thriving "Chieftain tank Appreciation Society" and judging from the post the old girl is felt with a great deal of affection. Having played with it and its successors have to admit it was fun and a very good tank.

As for likes if I can refer to my Conqueror book, during interviews of ex crew it was evenly split with hateed it to it was the best thing since sliced bread attitudes.

#36 Przezdzieblo

Przezdzieblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 1201 PM

In reference to discussion about new turret for Centurion, so called Action-X turret (thread about WOT - click), here are two pics, found at Russian otvaga2004 board:

556076_10150634429851404_1182606857_n.jp

539651_10150634432916404_62136574_n.jpg

There could be seen main features of that design, mantletless turret front and coax aperture on "glacis". Not that is NOT the same turret as FV 4202 mule was equipped with (link to measures of that turret --> click).

Edited by Przezdzieblo, 12 July 2013 - 1209 PM.

#37 Przezdzieblo

Przezdzieblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 1243 PM

I guess there was made a number of ballistic and non-ballistic castings (the one above?), with formers spent during fire trials. The report I got covers part of pretty standard UK test procedure. It starts with single small arms` shot to check resistance of mantletless design to bullet splash - .303 ball and .5 AP. Then 2 strikes with 20 pdr HE from 100 yards. Finally single 17 pdr AP, 17 pdr AP with increased muzzle velocity, 3,7" FH (flat head?) proof shot and 3,7" AP. For sure that turret is not the same from pictures above - when test was finished, it had a big hole on the left "cheek" with 17 pdr AP sticked in it.

Where? That fence looks like that in Bovington, it may be that part of "wreckyard" that is not accesible from the road. Maybe behind the workshops?

Edited by Przezdzieblo, 12 July 2013 - 1244 PM.

#38 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 1403 PM

Where? That fence looks like that in Bovington, it may be that part of "wreckyard" that is not accesible from the road. Maybe behind the workshops?

The heras fence? It does look like it's sat in the alley between the road and the new hall, I'll have a look next week.

#39 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1001 AM

The heras fence? It does look like it's sat in the alley between the road and the new hall, I'll have a look next week.

You can just see it on Google Maps street view when you follow Bovington Ln behind, what I think is, the new hall. This may be close enough 50.694059,-2.244253.

#40 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1113 AM

Well spotted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users