• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

#41 Przezdzieblo

Przezdzieblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1320 PM

It looks like there are two more turrets there, Chieftain`s and Challenger`s? (cannot see details behind the fence and hedge; Max H, could you made a pic or two? during my last visit unfortunately I missed it while concentrating on Challenger and Conqueror in front of Stanley Barracks)

Edited by Przezdzieblo, 13 July 2013 - 1321 PM.

#42 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • Interests:MBT's, rock music, electric Bass Guitar's :-)

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1325 PM

I think these two more turrets are from Chieftain only, but indeed hard to tell.

#43 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1534 PM

IIRC the others are chieftain.

When was the action x turret developed?

#44 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1559 PM

What are the two holes on the turret face under the lifting hooks for?  Never noticed that there is one either side of the main gun tube until later.

#45 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 1624 PM

Trunnion pin, assuming it's set up in the same way as the 4202 turret

#46 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 0804 AM

We'd have to scrounge a gun from somewhere first. It would be nice to have it in the "cent production line" experience though, I idly wonder if it has been considered?

#47 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 0815 AM

if anyone is having difficulty seeing the turrets mentioned, this streetview should show them http://goo.gl/maps/Bf6jm

Did any of the I&I guys get round that side when they were parking up the Panzers on the Monday?

#48 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,073 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 0824 AM

Slightly OT but did our doctrine only envisage shooting at enemy vehicles from their left hand side? :)

http://www.armorama....view&artid=3627

#49 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 21,073 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 0841 AM

Stuart, there's what looks very much a Mk 1 Cent (late edit - this thread claims Mk 2) in a museum in Egypt. I have no idea how it got there.

http://www.militaryp...pur-War/page237

#50 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,154 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 0858 AM

if anyone is having difficulty seeing the turrets mentioned, this streetview should show them http://goo.gl/maps/Bf6jm

Did any of the I&I guys get round that side when they were parking up the Panzers on the Monday?

They really need to do a better landscaping job, that fence is ridden with vines and brush.  ;)

#51 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 1621 PM

Sorry for the delay, it slipped my mind. The other two turrets are indeed chieftain

Spoiler

Action X is about as you'd expect given the treatment it's had - the casting itself doesn't look too bad. The gun mount is still fitted surprisingly (fv4202's has gone walkies for example, I need to ask about that one) but it's not as happy looking as the turret casting.

Spoiler

#52 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0549 AM

Thanks for the photographs Max.

They really ought to try and do something with that one. I cant believe there arent any Centurion hulls that need a turret. It (and FV4202) clealry have some significance as far as Chieftain is concerned. It seems everything get second place compared to WW2 stuff.

More specifically Tiger 131

#53 Przezdzieblo

Przezdzieblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0554 AM

Max H, thanks for pics.

#54 Beitou

Beitou

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0620 AM

How many running tigers are there in other collections round the world?

#55 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0654 AM

More specifically Tiger 131

We give the people what they want

488251_10151517943765842_1018783026_n.jp

Tiger day is a massive boost for the museum, and it's plain to see what all the visitors are interested in - as soon as tiger goes back into the workshop everyone leaves. We are going to restore other vehicles to the same standard as tiger, including at least one of our prototype chieftains, but that has to wait until the new workshops are sorted. The tiger restoration was special, with the funding from the lottery we could just throw money at it until it was sorted - most of the actual restoration work was done at other workshops who we employed.

There is an awful lot in their storage shed that never sees the light of day.

Hence the viewing gallery in the VCC, which is getting filled with all kinds of cool stuff - conway, chieftain 900, "mbt-80", 40 ton cent, boarhound, the control vehicle for crazyhorse (which is in line for restoration as well, it's got all the kit inside so it'll look really nice when it's done), I could go on.

#56 Beitou

Beitou

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0840 AM

I first visited with my parents in the early seventies and back then it was just rooms full of tanks with the names on them. My Grandad lived in Wool so you can imagine how I use to pester my parents to go and visit him.

One thing I noticed at tankfest was the information panels in the tank park were often wrong. A number of them got the inches and millimetres of the armour thickness the wrong way. One of the Chieftains had a panal saying 12.5mm max armour.

#57 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 0907 AM

The boards can be very hit and miss. The tank experience in the new hall does a good job of putting things in context, it has similar things grouped together on a sort of timeline route - a chieftain, a leo, t48 and t-72 are next to each other, for example. The chally 2 prototype is facing off with a T-62 as well IIRC, which is fitting.

#58 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 1559 PM

The boards can be very hit and miss. The tank experience in the new hall does a good job of putting things in context, it has similar things grouped together on a sort of timeline route - a chieftain, a leo, t48 and t-72 are next to each other, for example. The chally 2 prototype is facing off with a T-62 as well IIRC, which is fitting.

As BansheeOne points out in post #306 on the Tankfest 2013 thread. But then, of course, accuracy doesn't matter a jot as long as we are all having an "experience", the more immersive the better, of course.

The Tank Museum claims on its home page that it is the museum of the Royal Tank Regiment & Royal Armoured Corps. It, and I, as a former member of the RTR, deserve better than this.

Max do not think I am getting at you, I very much appreciate the effort that you and your fellow volunteers put in.

#59 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 2059 PM

Is there a diagram of the Chieftain's armour?

#60 commander

commander

Challenger supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, building large scale models of tanks, writing AFV books

Posted 31 July 2013 - 1122 AM

Max notice you mention you have MBT80 sorry but you do not, for the simple fact that no hulls were built prior to cancellation.  What you do have that is called MBT80 is ATR2 rig with a turret THOUGHT to be part of the project.  Some turret work was commenced and the optics were built which by all account were probably the best AFV optics built.  When MBT80 was cancelled there were still no final drawings produced so hard to see how a hull could be built.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users