650 replies to this topic

#41 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,178 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 1901 PM

Are there any information on when M60A3 exactly became a front line standard for Regular Army?

Arcweasel provided some very useful info,but I suppose those AOSs,RISE/Passives etc available in 1990 were rather part of reserves and ANG. From what DTanker wrote,I guess that by 1984 all units in Europe transitioned to A3?

You could say it became a front line standard when it was first fielded in 1979, or 1980 if you mean the TTS. Keep in mind that as of September 1980 both the M60A3 and M1 were being fielded concurrently.

#42 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1514 PM

Are there any information on when M60A3 exactly became a front line standard for Regular Army? Arcweasel provided some very useful info,but I suppose those AOSs,RISE/Passives etc available in 1990 were rather part of reserves and ANG. From what DTanker wrote,I guess that by 1984 all units in Europe transitioned to A3?

You could say it became a front line standard when it was first fielded in 1979, or 1980 if you mean the TTS. Keep in mind that as of September 1980 both the M60A3 and M1 were being fielded concurrently.

I'm sorry,I haven't expressed my point clearly enough. I am interested when US regular armor units ended their transition to M60A3,at least in Europe. I read that last M60A1 was completed in May 1980,in roughly same period when M1 and M60A3 were entering service.
My two cents are that M60A1s of all subtypes probably ended up in reserve and NG. I hardly believe it is possible to know when such transition,if occurred, exactly happened on continental US,but maybe more is available for Europe since there where fewer (and prioritized) units.

By units you have kindly listed,I assume it was finished by 1984?

#43 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,178 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1536 PM

My two cents are that M60A1s of all subtypes probably ended up in reserve and NG. I hardly believe it is possible to know when such transition,if occurred, exactly happened on continental US,but maybe more is available for Europe since there where fewer (and prioritized) units.

By units you have kindly listed,I assume it was finished by 1984?

My 98 cents is that a lot of M60A1s, thousands, ended up being rebuilt to M60A3 standards, especially in Germany.

Transition, at least in Germany, should have been concluded by the end of 1984. Don't chisel that in stone, somebody from 8th ID needs to confirm that.

#44 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1556 PM

My 98 cents is that a lot of M60A1s, thousands, ended up being rebuilt to M60A3 standards, especially in Germany.

Transition, at least in Germany, should have been concluded by the end of 1984. Don't chisel that in stone, somebody from 8th ID needs to confirm that.

Not really a best source,but army-guide support your claim.They say that of 5,400 M60A3 TTS tanks,1,686 were new production M60A3s,114 were M60A1 Passive tanks field-retrofitted to M60A3 TTS configuration, and well 3,600 were conversions carried out by the Mainz Army Depot in Germany and Anniston Army Depot in the USA.

#45 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • Interests:MBT's, rock music, electric Bass Guitar's :-)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1732 PM

I have a question to anyone that served on M60A3(TTS), did TC had only a gunner primary sight extension so he could use TTS, or as one person talks with me, and claims that TC cupola had own thermal sight, in which I doubt, but clarification would be nice. :)

#46 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,178 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1746 PM

I have a question to anyone that served on M60A3(TTS), did TC had only a gunner primary sight extension so he could use TTS, or as one person talks with me, and claims that TC cupola had own thermal sight, in which I doubt, but clarification would be nice. :)

The TC did have an extension from the Gunners Thermal Channel. The TC could also use the LRF with 6x /12x which was aligned with the gunners sights. There were also the cupola sights for the M85, a daylight channel and a Passive channel. There was no independent thermal sight in the cupola of the M60A3.

Remember this thread?
http://208.84.116.22...showtopic=34690

Edited by DKTanker, 11 January 2013 - 1746 PM.

#47 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 1752 PM

Yeah, thanks, as allways you are grate source of reliable informations DKTanker. :)

Edited by Damian, 11 January 2013 - 1754 PM.

#48 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 0725 AM

Maybe not very "historical", but interesting.

#49 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 0727 AM

And some more.

#50 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,022 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 24 January 2013 - 0913 AM

Damian, thanks! I've wondered about tank evac procedures and drills. What seems so simple and obvious 99.99% of the time can become extremely difficult in a real emergency--especially fire or smoke.

#51 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 0929 AM

Thank you,very nice videos!

#52 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 1200 PM

No problemo. :)

And something new!

Posted Image

M1A1FEP used by USMC after modernization, new SCWS (Stabilized Commander Weapon Station) cupola clearly visible.

And more detailed photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Damian, 24 January 2013 - 1618 PM.

#53 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 21,315 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 0325 AM

I see the optical sight on the RHS of the cupola. Is the big lensy thing a camera or is it a light?

#54 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 0331 AM

It is thermal sight.

Edited by Damian, 25 January 2013 - 0332 AM.

#55 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 21,315 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 0410 AM

Does it link up to the GPS?

#56 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 0414 AM

Why it should? If TC needs better optics he can use his GPSE, SCWS have it's own sights, also fully stabilized.

On a second thought, the thermal sight seems to be based on optics used in CROWS, CROWS have briliant sights, so SCWS can be ersatz for CITV used in M1A2 series.

#57 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,022 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 0900 AM

It looks like use of Mk1 Eyeball is difficult buttoned up. Hope the gadgets don't break...
Speaking of...how easy is that big lensy thing to fix if it gets hit?

Edited by shep854, 25 January 2013 - 0912 AM.

#58 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,178 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 1121 AM

It looks like use of Mk1 Eyeball is difficult buttoned up. Hope the gadgets don't break...

It was always difficult to see when buttoned up. Now the hatch can be open or open protected and the TC has a more reasonable time seeing and being relatively protected.

Interesting to note that the turret roof appears to have an additional layer of armor.

#59 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,263 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 25 January 2013 - 1626 PM

Probably not repairable at all if it gets hit by bullets or fragments, but it seems like that it's always easier to take sights and stuff out in theory than reality.

#60 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,022 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 2006 PM

It was always difficult to see when buttoned up. Now the hatch can be open or open protected and the TC has a more reasonable time seeing and being relatively protected.

Interesting to note that the turret roof appears to have an additional layer of armor.

Understood.

Edited by shep854, 25 January 2013 - 2007 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cold War, US Army, upgrades, history, M60, M1 Abrams, M113

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users