Photo

Polish Armoured Vehicles And Their Modernizations.

• Please log in to reply
805 replies to this topic

#41 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • Interests:MBT's, rock music, electric Bass Guitar's :-)

Posted 24 April 2013 - 1318 PM

Thanks for clarification Przezdzieblo, do you have any photo (or rough idea where I could find a good one + some informations) about the earlier "Wilk"?

#42 Przezdzieblo

Przezdzieblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 1501 PM

I guess there would be some informations about it in the next "Poligon", but I do not know if any photos will follow.

#43 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 1533 PM

Thanks, good to know, I will take a closer look.

BTW Przezdzieblo, do you have any more detailed informations about CAWA-2 and what happened later? Col. Wiśniewski book do not describe history of that armor, and WITU do not have any PDF about CAWA-2 nad later development on composite armors.

Besides this I might be wrong but, during first presentation of WPB "Anders", there was presented some sort of modular armor in front of vehicle, right? Perhaps you know something more?

Anders+light+tank.jpg

Is this composite armor, or ERA?

Edited by Damian, 24 April 2013 - 1648 PM.

#44 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 1627 PM

http://www.altair.co...w?news_id=10344

It is very possible that additional 128 Leopard 2 tanks, will be purchased and transported to Poland even this year.

Edited by Damian, 07 May 2013 - 1629 PM.

#45 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 1510 PM

30625.jpg

A very interesting development, Polish designed 120mm automatic mortar turret module "Rak", had been mated in Huta Stalowa Wola plant, with German IFV Marder hull.

This vehicle will be presented during MSPO exhibition in Kielce 2-5 september 2013. I will be there so hopefully I will be able to make more photos (also interior) of this vehicle, among other interesting designs.

Of course I will post these photos here. ;)

#46 J.Hawk

J.Hawk

Towarzysz Pancerny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 1659 PM

A very interesting development, Polish designed 120mm automatic mortar turret module "Rak", had been mated in Huta Stalowa Wola plant, with German IFV Marder hull.

This vehicle will be presented during MSPO exhibition in Kielce 2-5 september 2013. I will be there so hopefully I will be able to make more photos (also interior) of this vehicle, among other interesting designs.

Of course I will post these photos here. ;)

I think it's interesting they chose the Marder chassis, of all things... Either it's a test of fit for the future expected tracked IFV (but then, why not simply get a CV90, since that's where things seem to be going), or maybe the next batch of Leopards to Poland will be accompanied by Marders? These BWP-1s are really getting old...

#47 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 1706 PM

No, the vehicle is only to demonstrate the turret integration capabilities and as possible offer to Marder users.

Rak turret was earlier also integrated with Rosomak hull and also with specially designed tracked chassis based on MT-LB.

And no, no new Marders with Leopard 2's, we do not need another obsolete IFV to replace obsolete BWP-1.

There is R&D program between Polish Industry and BAE to develop new tracked vehicles based on unified platform.

In fact program "Rydwan" evolved in to two main programs based on unified modular platform. There is Main Battle Tank program codenamed "Gepard" and Infantry Fighting Vehicle program codenamed "Borsuk".

If we will have luck, mockups or even technology demonstrators of both, will be presented on MSPO.

#48 Keshav Murali

Keshav Murali

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Playing the keyboard, tanks and guns.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1011 AM

Great thread!

Very interesting info and great images.

Thanks Damian!

Is there any thread like this for American AFV's or are they all scattered? :)

#49 J.Hawk

J.Hawk

Towarzysz Pancerny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1106 AM

This is probably the most interesting of the BWP-1 upgrades, the Puma RCWS-30. 30mm cannon and Spike missiles, but the thinking was that the platform is too outdated to warrant that kind of an ambitious upgrade, so it was canceled in 2009, as far as I can tell.

http://commons.wikim...-1_Puma_RCWS-30

#50 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1108 AM

Actually Israeli turrets were cancelled because they are not designed for our climate, and these turrets failed tests.

We had similiar problems with Spike ATGM engines, which during autumn and winter generate smoke which can point out position of the launcher.

Other thing is that indeed, there is no sence in to modernizing BWP-1, it is just plain waste of money, even as a stop gap. In the end it was decided to go with completely new vehicle.

Edited by Damian, 27 August 2013 - 1111 AM.

#51 J.Hawk

J.Hawk

Towarzysz Pancerny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1141 AM

Actually Israeli turrets were cancelled because they are not designed for our climate, and these turrets failed tests.

We had similiar problems with Spike ATGM engines, which during autumn and winter generate smoke which can point out position of the launcher.

Other thing is that indeed, there is no sence in to modernizing BWP-1, it is just plain waste of money, even as a stop gap. In the end it was decided to go with completely new vehicle.

That's interesting because, well, aren't the Czech Pandurs using those turrets? Seems like there was a lost opportunity here, because there is now talk of developing an unmanned turret with precisely that kind of armament (cannon, mg, spike) for the Rosomak, and for the new tracked IFV. And, in general, as neat a vehicle as the Rosomak is, going with the Pandur jointly with the Czechs would have made the vehicle cheaper and future development easier.

#52 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1144 AM

As far as I know, our armed forces were not happy with these turrets during tests.

Besides this for Poland deal with Israel to purchase and even manufacture such turrets is not proffiting for our arms industry.

Our industry is perfectly capable to develop unmanned weapon stations and turrets on it's own, so we not only can provide such solutions for our own armed forces, but we have perspectives for exports for our own account.

Edited by Damian, 27 August 2013 - 1148 AM.

#53 Ben Dejo

Ben Dejo

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 1821 PM

How cold was the temperature in the autumn, also was it humidity high? I wonder if this is smoke or steam condensing, do you have any video of any of these firings?

Edited by Ben Dejo, 27 August 2013 - 1825 PM.

#54 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 0356 AM

No, no videos. However in Poland autumn can be rather cold and wet.

#55 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 0514 AM

Something that can be interesting for people interested in wheeled APC's armor protection.

Zdjecie_760_9820.jpg

Rosomak after successfull tests against heavy machine gun fire in calliber 14,5mm.

Below is a link to article (unfortunetely only in Polish) about Rosomak development and service history.

http://gdziewojsko.w...we/kto-rosomak/

And there is a photo of glacis addon armor for Rosomak, after successfull tests against PG-7V and heavy machine gun fire.

Edited by Damian, 28 August 2013 - 0518 AM.

#56 J.Hawk

J.Hawk

Towarzysz Pancerny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 0923 AM

Speaking of modernizing a vehicle that really badly needs it...

"Historic tank to return to Poland from Afghanistan

Renault FT-17, a unique remnant of the 1920 Polish-Soviet war, has been found in Afghanistan thanks to long-standing efforts by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of National Defence. The tank will be soon transported to Poland."

http://www.mfa.gov.p...rom_afghanistan

#57 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 1007 AM

Actually it allready had been mostly repaired and was presented to public. Currently there is performed work to bring it back to working condition and to restore it's interior.

#58 J.Hawk

J.Hawk

Towarzysz Pancerny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 1243 PM

I think it's odd it's becoming news only now, after years of Spike use. One would also expect to hear similar complaints from Finland, for example...

I haven't seen any spike videos from autumn or winter, but in this one the missile has very little signature, though the launch probably took place in spring or early summer.

Edited by J.Hawk, 28 August 2013 - 1243 PM.

#59 Damian

Damian

Crew

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 1259 PM

The thing is that this problem is known for a very long time, only know the problem had been bring back to lights by our "incredibly intelligent" mass media.

I also heard that the problem might had been solved some time ago.

#60 Ben Dejo

Ben Dejo

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 1306 PM

Speaking of modernizing a vehicle that really badly needs it...

"Historic tank to return to Poland from Afghanistan

Renault FT-17, a unique remnant of the 1920 Polish-Soviet war, has been found in Afghanistan thanks to long-standing efforts by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of National Defence. The tank will be soon transported to Poland."

http://www.mfa.gov.p...rom_afghanistan

What to arm it with...so many choices :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users