951 replies to this topic

#41 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,540 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 30 November 2014 - 1534 PM

Seems like first official information on new armor to be displayed on May,9 2015 parade http://alexeyvvo.liv....com/93439.html

#42 demosthenes

demosthenes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 2353 PM

Seems like first official information on new armor to be displayed on May,9 2015 parade http://alexeyvvo.liv....com/93439.html

Looks like Armata is going to be called T-14. Fitting to start in a new era of Russian tank design.

I also see the object number dropped down to 148. How did that end up happening?

#43 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 0155 AM

Aren't the T-xy numbers roughly corresponding to the year of introduction anyway? T-34 from the thirties, T-44 spot on incidentally, T-54 in fifties etc.

#44 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 0400 AM

The initial digit of the object number correspond to the design bureau, 1 indicated and still indicate Uralvagonzavod.

#45 demosthenes

demosthenes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 0457 AM

We went from the object 199 BMPT down to 148. This makes it seem like an earlier project than even the T-55.

#46 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 0625 AM

The initial digit of the object number correspond to the design bureau, 1 indicated and still indicate Uralvagonzavod.

2nd digit of designation and 1st digit of Obj. code was supposed to designate design office. Hence T-64/Obj.432.

So T-14 does not really make sense unless they reversed it.

Edited by bojan, 01 December 2014 - 0627 AM.

#47 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 1518 PM

new tank too expensive and deficient , MOD claims - fire control system  not acceptable

article in  russian, use google translator

http://www.gazeta.ru...a_6336601.shtml

Edited by bd1, 12 December 2014 - 1520 PM.

#48 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 2008 PM

Wasn't FCS said to be another stumbling point for the "T-95" program too? Possibly one of the factors that led to cancellation.

#49 BLAH

BLAH

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:AFVs

Posted 19 December 2014 - 2127 PM

Hell, I'll design a working tank for them for free, with off the shelf stuff.

It'll look like an M1 though. :P

#50 lemd

lemd

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 2131 PM

With the current situation, I hope nothing will be cut, especially the tank

#51 Anduriel

Anduriel

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:IT, military industry and vehicles

Posted 23 December 2014 - 0610 AM

With the current situation, I hope nothing will be cut, especially the tank

Don't worry, military oreders won't be cut. In Russia military industry holds a quite important place, it's essentilaly  foundation for Russian industry as a whole and a locomotive of said industry in terms of upgrading. Also, it holds quite a lot of job places. 

It should be noted, that cutting defence spending in crisis makes sense when your military equipment is imported form other country. Russia is mostly self-sufficient, thus most of money don't leave the country.

Regarding the image of Armata above. This is fantasies of a 3D modeller and appeared first at Otvaga forums in Runet. It's based on a model that was showed in 2013 for higher-ups, and likely will have only passing resemblance to the real T-14 tank. Note that autor paced T-80 sideskirts with K-5 ERA, and T-14 will have it's own ERA set. Additionally, there is no ammo boxes or feeds for 12.7 YaKB 4-barrel machinegun and 30-mm 2A42 autocannon.

#52 Sovngard

Sovngard

Honorary staff member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:various

Posted 23 December 2014 - 0852 AM

Additionally, there is no ammo boxes or feeds for 12.7 YaKB 4-barrel machinegun and 30-mm 2A42 autocannon.

I cannot understand why a gatling gun would be so useful on a MBT. :huh:

#53 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,973 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 23 December 2014 - 1039 AM

Unless it is not real?

#54 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 1148 AM

Additionally, there is no ammo boxes or feeds for 12.7 YaKB 4-barrel machinegun and 30-mm 2A42 autocannon.

For the cool factor, it'd look good in movies I'm sure... :huh: and on models too for that matter.

Does Russia make all of the sighting equipment for its tanks as well?  Things like thermal imagers, sensors and other parts of fire control system?

I'm still hoping that a full on, no tarp, hi res picture/pictures of the T-95 will be made public!  If the project has been cancelled, surely it will be revealed at some point?

Edited by Gavin-Phillips, 23 December 2014 - 1148 AM.

#55 Anduriel

Anduriel

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:IT, military industry and vehicles

Posted 24 December 2014 - 0305 AM

Does Russia make all of the sighting equipment for its tanks as well?  Things like thermal imagers, sensors and other parts of fire control system?

Yes. Russia is capable of creating it's own thermal imagers.
For example, imagers that has been made since long ago:

AGAT-MDT - 320x256 matrix, 3-5 micrometers, GaAsIn;
Irbis-K - 4x288 matrix, 8-12 mircormetrs, CdHgTe;

Recently next matrixes gained O1 letter (ready to serial production):
1280x960, 3-5 micrometers, GaAsIn;
768x576, 8-12 micrometers, CdHgTe.

Still behind prominent companies (Thales have already QWIP thermal imagers, and QWIP is really cool shit, believe me), but not that much. 
With advent of PAK-FA and it's technologies (they build special plant for this plane to produce GaN radar T/R, and I wouldn't be surprized that it's IRST and FLIR are QWIP we may see modern sensors elsewhere).

I'm still hoping that a full on, no tarp, hi res picture/pictures of the T-95 will be made public!  If the project has been cancelled, surely it will be revealed at some point?

Unlikely. Object 195 is still secret project and considering that Armata uses technological decisions achieved at Obj. 195 we;ll see this tank in HD quality maybe in 20 years or so.

#56 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 1641 PM

You have more mass among all the barrels, so you provide sustained fire for longer without the barrel overheating - IIRC, rheinmetall offered something similar a while back. Of course, that's assuming you can fit enough 12.7mm ammo to overheat a conventional MG inside a russian tank

#57 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 2305 PM

We need to continue this discussion until the "unveiling;" good stuff...I wonder just how much the Armata MBT has in common with the Object 187?  

Object187_12.jpg

#58 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Art, history

Posted 29 December 2014 - 0427 AM

We need to continue this discussion until the "unveiling;" good stuff...I wonder just how much the Armata MBT has in common with the Object 187?  

What can be common whith t-72 mod and a new design tank?

#59 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,129 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 29 December 2014 - 0813 AM

Well....what is known about Armata if anything?

#60 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 2301 PM

Here's a bit...from "Armata: History of Russian Tank Perspective" (05/08/14), Weapons and Conflict:

"And when worked through the concept of "Almaty was" - namely modular logistics required that the prospective tank could be either with the engine and the turbine. Structural diagram of the body "object 187" was subsequently modified and migrated to the object 195, and in the future - on the "Armata". 

"Continued to "Improving the 88" and that by the year 2000, and went on to create a new model, which became known as "Object 195", or T-95. Thus, from the T-72B tank, through the "Object 187", we come to the "195th" car."

"New weapons, new tower, MSA, management information system...Military required a machine that would be guaranteed to take away any enemy tank. And such a tank in Tagil appeared - it was "Object 187".

This seems to confirm what was once posted here (IIRC), that the Object 187 was actually a better solution that the selected Object 188 (T-90).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users