Egyptian T-62 Upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,207 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1128 AM

Gorilla glass....

#42 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1134 AM

The boxes are filled with "interactive armor" according to the Twitter poster. I guess that means NERA...

'Hi! Are you an antitank missile? Im High Explosive, nice to meetcha!'

#43 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Location:Sellin them conre durgs to kid,s in a school near YOU, sport! I culd go onand on!!
  • Interests:Trollin'. Get'n paided. No bonuses, tho.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 0957 AM

Israel don't heve ERA, so maybe upgrade

Israel has had ERA-tech for decades (calling the first generation of it 'Blazer;) and they used it on older tanks like the M48.  They haven't put such armor on the Merkava as it has not needed it, but they do have the tech if they or a customer needs it.

He knows that, in fact I'm sure he knows that Israel led the world in the employment of ERA.  So I'm not sure what he was trying to convey unless he was trying to say that the IDF has gone away from using ERA on their tanks.  Which is true.

Uhhh... In short, nope. Not singlehandedly, at the very least.

http://www.btvt.naro...raznoe/dz68.htmUse your translator of choice.

#44 Marsh

Marsh

Miserable old git

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. S.F. Photography.Wine, Women and Celtic folk music.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 1357 PM

It is quite clear that the Israelis were the first to implement ERA. They were not the first to conceive it. The Soviet Union was. Rafael, the Israeli armament development authority, was researching ERA well before it was introduced. However, they were examining technological dead ends. They needed Held.

#45 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Location:Sellin them conre durgs to kid,s in a school near YOU, sport! I culd go onand on!!
  • Interests:Trollin'. Get'n paided. No bonuses, tho.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 2330 PM

It is quite clear that the Israelis were the first to implement ERA. They were not the first to conceive it. The Soviet Union was. Rafael, the Israeli armament development authority, was researching ERA well before it was introduced. However, they were examining technological dead ends. They needed Held.

Exactly. Not that I'd in any way diminish Israel's achievement. (EDIT: Oh shit, sorry, I was, having misread deployment for development. Still, I hope someone will find the link I posted above interesting :P ):

Being the first to implement such a risky-seeming tech on a vehicle is an achievement in, on and of its own, especially if you're a young country; more even, if said country is the size of Israel.

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke, 27 August 2017 - 2332 PM.

#46 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 0535 AM

Exactly. Not that I'd in any way diminish Israel's achievement. (EDIT: Oh shit, sorry, I was, having misread deployment for development. Still, I hope someone will find the link I posted above interesting :P ):

Being the first to implement such a risky-seeming tech on a vehicle is an achievement in, on and of its own, especially if you're a young country; more even, if said country is the size of Israel.

Actually being a small young country surrounded by enemies made them take risks to gain any advantage they could get that others shied away. imho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users