"Old" Type-99

Posted Image

#42 Jonathan Chin

Jonathan Chin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Military history, infantry weapons, tanks.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 2237 PM

Sorry, not very familiar with Type-99 so it's a newbie question. Are those ERA blocks at the turret and glacis?

#43 Djuice

Djuice

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 0106 AM

Yes, second chinese generation ERA blocks, that protects against KE/CE.

#44 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 1538 PM

Upgrading old tanks. Type-59 now equipped with AT-10 STABBER.

Posted Image

#45 Catalan

Catalan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 1542 PM

Speaking about old Chinese tanks... a North Korean 175mm self-propelled artillery piece on a Type 59 chassis:

Posted Image

Edited by Catalan, 16 May 2006 - 1543 PM.

#46 Guest_bojan_*

Guest_bojan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 0502 AM

Speaking about old Chinese tanks... a North Korean 175mm self-propelled artillery piece on a Type 59 chassis...

View Post

170mm actualy.

#47 Jacques

Jacques

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Interests:Models, ARMOURED VEHICLES, making fun of the air farce

Posted 17 May 2006 - 0802 AM

That is something I never saw or even heard about...way cool. Was it in series production? Performance? Thanks a lot guys, I love seeing all this obscure stuff.

#48 Catalan

Catalan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 0953 AM

170mm actualy.

View Post

The section of the book [PDF form] called... err, sorry I'm at the Uni right now and can't think of the name, but it deals with MBTs of different countries throughout the Cold War, says 175mm. But since you probably know more than I do, you're probably right. Do you have any more easily accessible online sources or pdfs?

That is something I never saw or even heard about...way cool. Was it in series production? Performance? Thanks a lot guys, I love seeing all this obscure stuff.

I'm not sure if the book says. They just seem to have general information on MBTs and then add pictures of obscure variants. :P Bojan probably has more information.

#49 Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake

Crew

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 1036 AM

Tanks and ordnance peices should be integrated right now. Has there been any requests for exportation from any foreign customer to PLA?

#50 Catalan

Catalan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 1133 AM

This is what the article states. Thought bolded parts would be even more interesting:

Several North Korean SP mounts on Type 59 chassis have been spotted with 122mm, 130mm, 152mm and 175mm guns/howitzers between 1975 and 1985, also exported to Iran.

#51 Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake

Crew

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 2054 PM

The 170 mm gun on type 59 chasis is denominated KOKSAN, belivied to be a development of a soviet naval gun.

#52 Gabe

Gabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 2138 PM

http://www.globalsec.../m-1978-170.htm

#53 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 2100 PM

Velly interesting! Look at the bottom left picture on the page. Seems the whole armour block lifts right out of the turret.

Posted Image

#54 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 1703 PM

Type-96/ZTZ-88C modified with add-on armour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 1707 PM

Clearer version of the Type-99 book.

Posted Image

#56 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 2156 PM

Jakec; great pics...thanks.

#57 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 2255 PM

As I've mentioned before here on the forum...originally, I thought that the Type 98 and ZTZ-99's turret armor module's small compartment was used to house composite material...it even resembles the holes in BDD turret boxes. Maybe the Chinese were using polyurethane and steel plates like the Russians had with BDD? More recently however, I've come to the conclusion that the compartment really has nothing to do with the module's composite array...at least not directly. In my opinion (and the pic below seems to support this theory), the compartment is actually used to provide access to the mounting hardware that attaches the armor module to the turret. Clearly the modules are made (like the Israeli modules they are derived from), to be quickly removed if damaged or if they need to be upgraded. Where else could they be attached, where the crew could remove them? The Type 96 uses a series of clearly visible external bolts to mount the composite armor modules to the turret...these bolts are not used on the Type 98 or ZTZ-99. I can imagine the crew storing the wrench and lugs necessary to remove the modules in the same compartment...for safe-keeping. The crew would simply remove the compartment cover, loosen the mounting bolts, and lift the complete module/pack by using the three lifting "eyes" and the boom from a near-by recovery vehicle. Hmmm...

Posted Image

#58 pdoktar

pdoktar

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 0619 AM

It´s the finns. I´ve done it twice with a T-55, with all web gear. Seems to me that they´ve left the web gear behind. I´m not that big myself, and even i felt some pressure under the T-55. Some bigger guys sometimes got caught in the bolts or cracks or whatever protruding objects of the tank and got dragged on for metres, before the tank stopped. :P

#59 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 0312 AM

Seems to be the month for upgraded PLA tanks. Type-62 light tank with what looks like ERA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 1444 PM

...ZTZ-99 auto-loader:

Posted Image

Posted Image