54 replies to this topic

#41 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,187 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 1451 PM

Glock is selling a ton of G19X's, so they've probably recouped their MHS expenses handsomely.

The whole X-model concept escapes me. Folks wanting CCW normally want less grip, not more for concealability (aside from big goons with bearpaw sized hands). 

#42 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 2055 PM

19X is not for CCW. It's a handier service size pistol like a Commander. This is actually kinda useful for any role that doesn't involve cover garments etc. It's also handy when you plan to suppress since your OAL is that much shorter.

#43 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,628 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 0714 AM

SAPD had a bunch of their Gen 3 glocks in .40 blow up due to the slide rails separating from the frame a while back, so they went with the really, really bad S&W M&P which all the SAPD guys hate.   DPS dropped it completely and went with the SIG P320.  

#44 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 0954 AM

When was the last time a cop got a magazine from another in a gunfight?

#45 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 1051 AM

When was the last time a cop got a magazine from another in a gunfight?

NYPD might find it useful.

#46 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 0640 AM

Izzat because they have 10 rounders?

#47 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 0857 AM

Because they can't shoot--they just yank the trigger fast. :glare:

IIRc, they get full-cap mags, since they aren't citizen swine, hence are incapable of doing anything wrong.

Edited by shep854, 07 February 2019 - 0858 AM.

#48 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1135 AM

Because they can't shoot--they just yank the trigger fast. :glare:

IIRc, they get full-cap mags, since they aren't citizen swine, hence are incapable of doing anything wrong.

Iirc NYPD has a requirement for a silly high trigger weight of 12 pounds, which does certainly not help barely trained shooters. Nobody has time for training.

SAPD had a bunch of their Gen 3 glocks in .40 blow up due to the slide rails separating from the frame a while back, so they went with the really, really bad S&W M&P which all the SAPD guys hate.   DPS dropped it completely and went with the SIG P320.  

.40 Glocks are not known for durability.   As so many other 9 mm pistols converted to .40. Or they could have avoided the .40 und just gone with 9 Parabellum on the first place. Really, the more I learn about .40 S&W in the wild, the less sensible it becomes. :wacko:

#49 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1216 PM

Panzermann, thats a good point about trigger weight.

#50 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1734 PM

Double action revolvers have that weight, but they still feel better than pistol triggers. Of course with more training they could get accustomed to that trigger, but nobody has the time nor money nor will to invest into training.

#51 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1917 PM

My Glock Model 22 has the NY+ trigger, absolutely the worst trigger I've ever had on any handgun, I have rubber band guns that are better. Standard Glock trigger is about 5.5 lbs, the NY trigger adds 3.5 to that for about 9 lbs, and the NY+ takes it to 12 lbs. My S&W N-frame revolvers range from about 9-13 lbs as well, but they are much easier to shoot well than the Glock.

#52 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 17,245 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 2303 PM

So what do they hate about the M&P?

#53 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 33,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 0148 AM

My Glock Model 22 has the NY+ trigger, absolutely the worst trigger I've ever had on any handgun, I have rubber band guns that are better. Standard Glock trigger is about 5.5 lbs, the NY trigger adds 3.5 to that for about 9 lbs, and the NY+ takes it to 12 lbs. My S&W N-frame revolvers range from about 9-13 lbs as well, but they are much easier to shoot well than the Glock.

Two of my Glocks, both Gen3, are sporting the NY1 trigger spring. I kinda like it better than the OEM Sponge-o-matic. Keep in mind that I care not for 25 yard headshots, I care about 25 inch shots from retention. Of the dozens of shootings in my AO since I moved here, I have yet to read of any beyond 10 yards. 

#54 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 0933 AM

Double action revolvers have that weight, but they still feel better than pistol triggers. Of course with more training they could get accustomed to that trigger, but nobody has the time nor money nor will to invest into training.

The differences in the lockwork account for a lot of the difference.  Revolvers can be tuned to a smooth, crisp pull that feels lighter than the actual pull weight.  Striker actions are much tougher to fine-tune, though 'smiths are finally learning the art.  There comes a point though, where heavy is just heavy, no matter how it's tweaked.

#55 Arminius

Arminius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 1830 PM

the REAL reason, the Gen V are superior to earlier versions is that they are more reliable by design. Glock eliminated some known weak points.

The three most broken parts on Glocks were the trigger spring ( that S shape spring, especially breaking when assembled the wrong way ), the slide stop spring ( flat spring ) and the slide lock spring ( flat spring ).

The three corresponding springs on a Gen V are coil springs, and shouldn´t break.

Pls note that the G 42 and G 43 already have the improved springs, so technically they are "Gen V" from start of production; in fact, they are the first of the Gen V Glocks.

Hermann