#1 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 1013 AM

Norton 360. Has some neat features, could upgrade three computers for the same price with a coupon I got with one of the new laptops I bought for the company, but plan to use at the crib. Home machines aren't running behind my office's SecureComputing giveaways. Worth trying right? Wrong!

Egad, it slowed down *every* machine I installed it on. My old reliable desktop- getting a bit older, but still good- slowed to a virtual standstill. A shit hot new Sony Vaio laptop even slowed down to cutting edge 1999 speeds.

Stay away from this product- too much RAM and CPU usage, too little customization, and no cheaper in the long run (even w/coupon) than anything else out there.

#2 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 24 January 2008 - 0832 AM

I don't understand the popularity of Norton and McAffee. They used to be good, like, in the mid 1990s and it's gotten from bad to worse ever since.

#3 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 0845 AM

I stayed away from Norton after one year from purchasing their antivirus 2002. When I learned that you had to purchase another year's worth of "free" updates, and having experienced crappy updating as well as making the machine on which it was installed very sluggish, I gave up on it and since then told everyone I cared about to not buy their products.

BP: To me, one reason it makes systems so sluggish is the amount of "Gee Whiz" stuff they placed on it to make it look so snazzy, professional, "user-friendly" and appealing. I'd rather have my antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, anti-adware and other "computerized condoms" made by other developers that produce light yet efficient and effective products, rather than a corporate behemoth trying to force down all of its products in one massive package down your throat.

Edited by TomasCTT, 24 January 2008 - 0848 AM.

#4 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • 35,579 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, computers, Military History

Posted 24 January 2008 - 0909 AM

In the old days when Norton made some great tools or a great Anti-Virus product I used them. Nortons Tool Box was a must have with Windows 3.11 or Win 95.

Then they merged to tools and blooted to the point of being the first thing I de-install on all new computers.

I have seen more problems with computers running Nortons than I have with Virus or broken registers... yes it is that bad a product

#5 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 1050 AM

Like I said, I run the office stuff thru some pretty heavy duty freebies we go from a vendor.

I figured it was worth a demo for the home machines, but boy was I gobsmacked about how absolutely, totally, pathetically AWFUL Norton's stuff has gotten over the years.

#6 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 2103 PM

When I received my laptop two years ago, first thing I did was uninstall Norton then switched to AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware after that.

#7 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • 35,579 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, computers, Military History

Posted 24 January 2008 - 2206 PM

Damn thats what I did too!!! :D

#8 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,770 posts
  • Interests:Armor, martial arts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 1605 PM

What's driving me nuts is I can't get AVG to work on my Vista PC. Spybot and Adaware only took mild tweaking but AVG simply won't initialize, no matter how many times I wipe and reinstall.

Matt

#9 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 0759 AM

What's driving me nuts is I can't get AVG to work on my Vista PC. Spybot and Adaware only took mild tweaking but AVG simply won't initialize, no matter how many times I wipe and reinstall.

Matt

The best solution is to reinstall WinXP. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users