6459 replies to this topic

#6441 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 1804 PM

There's nobody with both public recognition and sane policies as far as I can tell.

They have a couple of years to sort it out, then a couple or three more for whoever wins to turn into a figure with some stature. Whoever it is, they're going to be either a neo-Blairite with perhaps a more "common touch", who might be electable, or a Corbynite with the madness reinforced and likely to fail unless the NHS implodes under BoJo.

#6442 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,378 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 2227 PM

https://catholichera...ted-christians/

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised to defend persecuted Christians around the world, telling them his government will “defend your right to practice your faith.”

In his Christmas message, the Prime Minister called on the British people to remember “those Christians around the world who are facing persecution.”

“For them, Christmas Day will be marked in private, in secret, perhaps even in a prison cell,” he said. “As Prime Minister, that’s something I want to change.”

“We stand with Christians everywhere, in solidarity, and will defend your right to practice your faith.”

The Prime Minister began his message by acknowledging that Christmas Day is “first and foremost, a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.”

“It is a day of inestimable importance to billions of Christians the world over,” he added.

He also paid tribute to people working in public services on Christmas Day, particularly NHS staff and members of the Armed Forces.

#6443 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 1222 PM

Defend them, what with? This bunch of clowns are the one's who cut the Defence budget by a third. Until they make that right, they ought to stop making unrealistic commitments they cant achieve.

If he means politically, again he has to explain how the stature of a nation on the brink of splitting is going to achieve those foreign policy aims.

#6444 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 0529 AM

Sternly worded letters.

#6445 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 1749 PM

Defend them, what with? This bunch of clowns are the one's who cut the Defence budget by a third. Until they make that right, they ought to stop making unrealistic commitments they cant achieve.

If he means politically, again he has to explain how the stature of a nation on the brink of splitting is going to achieve those foreign policy aims.

I thought that's what the CVs were for.

#6446 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 0301 AM

I thought that's what the CVs were for.

Indeed, but that is supposed to be the tip of the spear. Ive a growing realisation that, rather than expanding defence, the Conservatives are not going to put any extra resources into it. Which is fine, its their house, but its beholden on them to trim our cloth to what we can do, rather than set out an unrealistic stall of expectations and capablities and be disappointed we dont have the means of fulfilling it. Which is the story of the Foreign office over the past 60 years I suppose.

#6447 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,453 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 0450 AM

Where's the rest of the spear? 

Just the tip?   :D

#6448 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 0659 AM

You should probably be aware that when we deployed 16 Air Assault Brigade some years ago, we are actually able to deploy it into theatre (I think it was Sierra Leone) faster than an equivalent US formation. To the point where the Pentagon said 'How the hell did you do that?'.

The downside is, when we commit those advance forces, there isnt much to back them up. But I believe we have discussed this elsewhere, and its probably going way outside the scope of Brexit. Unless hostilities with the French break out of course

#6449 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 0751 AM

16 Air Assualt Brigade has 3 times the personnel in the JGSDF 1st Airborne Brigade.

#6450 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 1210 PM

Where's the rest of the spear? 

Just the tip?   :D

The projectile to be launched by the Royal Navy in various ways.

#6451 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1146 AM

I kinda like this guy. He's certainly very British.

[...]

We want to hire an unusual set of people with different skills and backgrounds to work in Downing Street with the best officials, some as spads and perhaps some as officials. If you are already an official and you read this blog and think you fit one of these categories, get in touch.

The categories are roughly:

- Data scientists and software developers

- Economists

- Policy experts

- Project managers

- Communication experts

- Junior researchers one of whom will also be my personal assistant

- Weirdos and misfits with odd skills

[...]

https://dominiccummi...sorted-weirdos/

#6452 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1158 AM

He is a bit of a bastard, but I suspect like Lord Beaverbrook, a highly competent bastard.

That last line may qualify me. :D

#6453 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,453 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1841 PM

The projectile to be launched by the Royal Navy in various ways.

So is this a stock buying tip for US defense stocks? 

#6454 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 0209 AM

We own something like 10 billion worth of your defence industry Ryan, so much the same thing.

https://www.baesyste...ms-inc/about-us

#6455 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 0926 AM

Boris Johnson is doing a sufficient job as evidenced by the fact that this thread hasn't had a post in eleven days and has fallen to page 3 on the TankNet index which is something I didn't expect to live long enough to see.

#6456 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 0936 AM

Join the club.

He actually has passed the deal through Parliament, so we are now officially on our way and we are going to leave the EU. And it was so lacking in trouble getting it through, nobody here seemed to notice. :)

#6457 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 0958 AM

Join the club.

He actually has passed the deal through Parliament, so we are now officially on our way and we are going to leave the EU. And it was so lacking in trouble getting it through, nobody here seemed to notice. :)

At this point in time all are tired of the constant fighting, I think

meanwhile north of hadrian's wall:

The Prime Minister

Dear Nicola,
Thank you for your correspondence of 19 December 2019.

I have carefully considered and noted the arguments set out for a transfer of power from the UK Parliament to the Scottish Parliament to allow for further indepdendence referendums.

You and your predecessor made a personal promise that the 2014 Independence Referendum was a "once in a generation" vote.
The people of Scotland voted decisively on that promise to keep our United Kingdom together, a result which both the Scottish and UK Governments commited to respect in the Edinburgh Agreement.

The UK Government will continue to uphold the democratic decision of the Scottish people and the promise that you made to them.
For that reason, I cannot agree to any request for a transfer of power that would lead to further independence referendums.

Another indepdendence referendum would continue the political stagnation that Scotland has seen for the lsat decade, with Scottish schools, hospitals and jobs again left behind because of a campaign to separate the UK.

It is time that we all worked to bring the whole of the United Kingdom together and unleash the pontential of this great country.

(unreadable scribbled signature)

The Right Honourable Nicola Sturgeon MSP

https://www.gov.uk/g...14-january-2020

Edited by Panzermann, 15 January 2020 - 1000 AM.

#6458 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 1005 AM

Yeah, he basically gave her the finger. And fair enough, her and Salmond were happy to take the claim 'once in a generation' (largely because they expected they would win) and now Sturgeon is trying to redefine what that means. She can go piss up a rope as far as im concerned. Impoverishing the Scottish people is not a good enough reason for sectarianism.

#6459 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 1017 AM

Yeah, he basically gave her the finger. And fair enough, her and Salmond were happy to take the claim 'once in a generation' (largely because they expected they would win) and now Sturgeon is trying to redefine what that means. She can go piss up a rope as far as im concerned. Impoverishing the Scottish people is not a good enough reason for sectarianism.

Afaik the UK won the independence vote with the now broken promise of staying in the EU. So the SNP has a point there I think. And the SNP is not the "Scotland stays in the UK party", but of scottish independence. So I would expect nothing else of them as that is the only reason that party exists in the first place and all they have ever really talked about.

#6460 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 1033 AM

No, it absolutely didnt. The question of a Brexit vote rarely came up as I recall. It was said that perhaps it may be revisited if there was a vote for Brexit. But there was no explicit promise to that effect. Looked at from my perspective, if I dont get a second vote for Brexit, why should Scotland get a second vote for Independence?

The SNP are a one trick pony. They have to bang on and on about independence because, from my understanding, they dont have much else to offer. Education, something that was rightly lauded with pride in Scotland, is on the slide. Policing, and there were many fine Scottish constabularies, were merged, and that is apparently ont he slide. There is a drugs epidemic in Scotland. None of these things are tackled. But still they keep banging on about independence as if it would solve all the problems. Scottish independence will no more solve Scotlands Independence, than will Britains independence of the EU.

All politicians on the make when you get down to it.