• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ifor

Ifor

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Location:England(on loan from God's country. Wales 400miles of coastline all facing the Sea. Who's coat is this jacket hanging on floor?
  • Interests:Anything military, cryptozoology, crime, zoology,

Posted 09 August 2018 - 1327 PM

Could anyone recommend any books on the development of comparative tank armament before WW2 please?

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,391 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 1337 PM

Ive got one somewhere on comparative development In WW2, but not before. Ill  see if I can find it, im having something of a reshuffle at the moment.

I would think the nearest off the top of my head I can recommend is Kenneth Macksey's 'Tank Vs Tank'. Which interestingly was the book that inspired my interest in tanks in the first place. Read it in the School Library, about the only worthwhile thing I learnt at school.c:)

#3 Ifor

Ifor

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Location:England(on loan from God's country. Wales 400miles of coastline all facing the Sea. Who's coat is this jacket hanging on floor?

Posted 09 August 2018 - 1424 PM

You're a good man Stuart, thank you. I've been told Armoured Fire by Peter Gudgin was one to look at. I've always wondered what drove countries to adopt the different sizes in tank armament

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,391 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 0158 AM

Yes, that was it. I seem to recall it was better than the reviews indicated.

Other than those 2, I cant think of any others. I remember reading 'Death by Design', which I seem to recall touched on the inadequacy of British tank guns. But the reviews support the idea is not in any great depth.

#5 Ifor

Ifor

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 0858 AM

Again thank you.

#6 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,339 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 10 August 2018 - 1404 PM

Ogorkiewicz, R.M. Design and Development of Fighting Vehicles, (Garden City: Doubleday,
1968).

#7 Ifor

Ifor

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 1957 PM

Thank you Ken

#8 Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Civilian tank and afv enthusiast. Collects 1/72 scale replicas although terrible at building them. Particular interest in post war US tank engines.

Posted 48 minutes ago

To add onto Ken's suggestion, Ogorkiewicz book "Technology of Tanks" digs into the technical issues of tank guns.  Hard copies are very rare and expensive, but it can be read in PDF format at Archive.org.

https://archive.org/...ogy_of_Tanks_01

#9 Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Civilian tank and afv enthusiast. Collects 1/72 scale replicas although terrible at building them. Particular interest in post war US tank engines.

Posted 46 minutes ago

As to US and British world war II guns, I would also recommend "Firing Now!" by Dick Taylor.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users