4 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,456 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 0614 AM

My new HP Spectre x360 laptop (the linux machine), has USB-C charging, and two USB-C ports.  It only has one USB-A port (used by the mouse dongle).  I really sort of like the USB-C charging and how fast it is, even though I am required to have a dongle to use the port for various things such as Ethernet, HDMI, or USB-A for all my flash drives.  What are the opinions of the wise computer users here on Tanknet?

#2 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,559 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 05 April 2018 - 0623 AM

USB-C looks good at first glace and performs well, if and when it works. The problem is that the specs are so vaguely written that, predictably, we end up with cables that can be plugged in both ways (as intended), but sometimes only work one way - which is way worse than what existed before.

#3 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,345 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 05 April 2018 - 1240 PM

The boss here has a computer from work with usb-c so I bought a converter usb-c to hdmi and a bunch of usb a and... well... it works as a usb a hub, but the hdmi doesn't

/R

#4 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 08 April 2018 - 0200 AM

I'm too much of a late adopter to have tried it yet, but here's what a colleague has to say:

USB type C is such a clusterfuck

I want a charger and cable for my laptop:

1) does the charger support power delivery? Does it have the correct power delivery profile?

2) does the cable support negotiating power delivery profile? does the cable carry the right connections or is it usb-2.0 in a usb-C form factor?

3) is it thunderbolt compatible or just USB?

There are blogs and web pages and reddit threads of people trying to figure out combinations of chargers/cables/etc

You can buy any number of chargers and cables that will physically all fit together fine and do absolutely nothing

Edited to restore formatting. The Grate Sight likes to mash all my posts' lines together, lately.

Edited by TTK Ciar, 08 April 2018 - 1418 PM.

#5 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,456 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 0827 AM

The more I use the USB-C on the linux box, the more I like it.  It is really fast, and I don't have any issues so far.  The multi dongle I plugged in to my ethernet ran very fast.  I just got a western digital my book 1 tb external for this laptop, and I had to get an adapter for the USB-A cable (I got an Apple one, it was cheaper than Belkin at Best Buy).  Very fast.  I like the USB-C power delivery as well, it just seems to work since both USB-C on this laptop are thunderbolt 3 ports.  After using it for a while, I am impressed, and hope that the USB-C standard becomes more ubiquitous in computers.  I would like to see computer cases with front mounted USB-C eventually.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users