306 replies to this topic

#1 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 1808 PM

So what does the forum think of this move? I think Kush job can probably just stay at home now, at least as far as the mid east peace process is concerned. We'll probably have at least one embassy stormed during the next week is my guess.

#2 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 05 December 2017 - 1812 PM

Oh no, we might do something that will piss off the jihadist. Good thing they dont already hate us. 

#3 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,838 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 1843 PM

Israeli public is pretty divided over that anyway.

#4 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,296 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 1846 PM

For Mr King  ^^^^ +1000 ^^^^^

Time to stop quivering in fear because of the "Arab Street."  Perhaps time for the Arab Street to be a little respectful of their betters.

Most vacuous thought I heard today from an Obama leftist, "We'll be seeing another round of the Arab Spring."  HELLO, the Obama administration not only relished the Arab Spring, they instigated and helped foment it.

Edited by DKTanker, 05 December 2017 - 1847 PM.

#5 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • 16,253 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 05 December 2017 - 1900 PM

Time to stop quivering in fear because of the "Arab Street."  Perhaps time for the Arab Street to be a little respectful of their betters.

Most vacuous thought I heard today from an Obama leftist, "We'll be seeing another round of the Arab Spring."  HELLO, the Obama administration not only relished the Arab Spring, they instigated and helped foment it.

Next time just tell them "Arab Spring" is how the Obama administration sold their wars for regime change to dumbasses. 

#6 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 21,434 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 05 December 2017 - 2022 PM

Iran wins......again!

#7 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot for the Pinochet administration

Posted 05 December 2017 - 2341 PM

Iran wins......again!

I don't see it.

#8 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0053 AM

Putin beat Trump to it.

https://www.timesofi...sraels-capital/

#9 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0136 AM

Oh no, we might do something that will piss off the jihadist. Good thing they dont already hate us.

Well we could also tell China we own the South China Sea. I'm sure that wouldn't have any repercussions either, even though functionally it is true.

#10 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0138 AM

Why is Israel something the US gives a shit about in the first place? Also EVERY OTHER ADMINISTRATION, Dem or GOP, did not do this. Its not some new Obama policy. Actually skip it, I started a separate topic for it.

#11 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot for the Pinochet administration

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0139 AM

Well we could also tell China we own the South China Sea. I'm sure that wouldn't have any repercussions either, even though functionally it is true.

Israel is not the South China Sea. I believe Israel is a legitimate claim in American foreign policy.

This would have made Trump a Neocon Hero, but as he is Trump, screw Israel. 

#12 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0143 AM

Israel is not the South China Sea. I believe Israel is a legitimate claim in American foreign policy.

Yes, I would argue the SCS is actually important. Tell me in direct terms why Israel matters at all. Let alone why this specific move is useful to the US, or even Israel. I'd just assume that country still exist, but I don't see any reason a place with a population smaller than the three largest cities in the US should be relevant to US politics, especially domestically.

#13 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0148 AM

Actually...perhaps a better way to couch the question is why is this move worth it when the US is allies withe Jordan, Egypt, and (though I hate them) the KSA? All of these powers voiced in public their disapproval on this move. How is this is productive to anything? Even the Israelis seem slightly divided on the issue, though I suspect not 50/50.

Edited by Josh, 06 December 2017 - 0149 AM.

#14 APF

APF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Interests:my children, RC, (push-)bike, kayak, electronics

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0222 AM

Actually...perhaps a better way to couch the question is why is this move worth it [...]

Trump will make Headlines once again.

Thats some quite sufficient reason for someone 70 years old who doesn't give a wet fart about what happens to others and who probably won't be around much longer.

#15 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0315 AM

Funny, USA likes Israel and doesn't like UN.

/R

#16 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0326 AM

Putting SCS aside, I think there are two things going for Israel as far as the US is concerned and both things reinforce the other. First is geopolitical. While Arab/Muslim don't like Israel so much, they are hardly as trustable. Of course Israel doesn't always see eye to eye with the US either but the two have generally been coordinating on the same side for decades. And so with a trusted country in the ME, it can help the US keep a foothold in the ME. While other Arab allies don't like that, they are still in opposition to Iran and without the US, Iran probably would win in the long run. So they need to learn and accept Isreal. The other reason is common culture and values. Israel is far more western than the other Arab countries, especially places like KSA. If the US had to choose, KSA or Israel, then it's Israel without a doubt. In the end of the day, places like KSA need to modernize. The place just started to allow women to drive a car. They got a long way to go. If they modernize, then they should better be able to accept Israel.

#17 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • 41,366 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0352 AM

Probably the dumbest Presidential idea since John F Kennedy said 'Gee Honey, lets pull the top down, I want to top up my tan'.

#18 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,358 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0415 AM

Putting SCS aside, I think there are two things going for Israel as far as the US is concerned and both things reinforce the other. First is geopolitical. While Arab/Muslim don't like Israel so much, they are hardly as trustable. Of course Israel doesn't always see eye to eye with the US either but the two have generally been coordinating on the same side for decades. And so with a trusted country in the ME, it can help the US keep a foothold in the ME. While other Arab allies don't like that, they are still in opposition to Iran and without the US, Iran probably would win in the long run. So they need to learn and accept Isreal. The other reason is common culture and values. Israel is far more western than the other Arab countries, especially places like KSA. If the US had to choose, KSA or Israel, then it's Israel without a doubt. In the end of the day, places like KSA need to modernize. The place just started to allow women to drive a car. They got a long way to go. If they modernize, then they should better be able to accept Israel.

Probably the dumbest Presidential idea since John F Kennedy said 'Gee Honey, lets pull the top down, I want to top up my tan'.

In a couple of weeks this will be forgotten and become a non-event. The bigger issue that Israel seems to be missing is that each step brings closer the assimilation of the Palestine Authority in Israel in the long term.

#19 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0554 AM

In a couple of weeks this will be forgotten and become a non-event. The bigger issue that Israel seems to be missing is that each step brings closer the assimilation of the Palestine Authority in Israel in the long term.

How so? The Palestinians hate the guts of the Jews and the Israelis have zero desire to rule this lot again. Should the PA fall apart the self rule could be organized on a regional basis.

#20 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0602 AM

Yes, I would argue the SCS is actually important. Tell me in direct terms why Israel matters at all. Let alone why this specific move is useful to the US, or even Israel. I'd just assume that country still exist, but I don't see any reason a place with a population smaller than the three largest cities in the US should be relevant to US politics, especially domestically.

Read the Bible for the culturally and religious significance of Israel and Christianity. Start with the New Testament. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

DKTanker