#1 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0134 AM

Something I was always curious of but too afraid to ask:

Why do Evangelicals have any interest in Israel? What is the connection? I googled it, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Now admittedly, I'm not one of faith, so I'm probably looking at it wrong (I was confirmed congregational but that is religion Lite and I've given up on it since).

#2 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0321 AM

Why not? Why would American evangelicals have anything against Jews? American evangelicals are not the stereotypes Hollywood portrays them as. 

#3 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,586 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0439 AM

Its. The. Friggin'. Holy. Land.

#4 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • 16,253 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0532 AM

Evangelicals are not allowed to be invested in their religious heritage, because they are filthy Evangelicals. 

#5 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0540 AM

Evangelicals are not allowed to be invested in their religious heritage, because they are filthy Evangelicals.
But that leaves them only bacon, guns & incest :(

Edited by toysoldier, 06 December 2017 - 0541 AM.

#6 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0546 AM

Why do Evangelicals have any interest in Israel? What is the connection? I googled it, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Now admittedly, I'm not one of faith, so I'm probably looking at it wrong (I was confirmed congregational but that is religion Lite and I've given up on it since).

Josh, the best answer an Evangelical can give you is to read the Bible. 

#7 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0555 AM

I think Rick nailed it.

Edited by Markus Becker, 06 December 2017 - 0556 AM.

#8 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0603 AM

I think Rick nailed it.

No pun intended  ^_^

#9 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 15,417 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0712 AM

Plus it is the Holy Land, and the Bible says it is the Holy Land.  

#10 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,882 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0717 AM

Combination of several factors, from an Evangelical who knows this song and dance by heart:

(1) Prophecy in the Old/New Testament says that in the End Times™ that the nation of Israel would be reinstated.

(2) In the Bible, the Jews are repeatedly spoken as God's Chosen People™, and there are several admonitions against going against God's Chosen People™

(3) Since if someone is against God's Chosen People™, they're automatically bad guys based on (2), hence the pretty blanket support for Israel despite being essentially uninformed about internal Israeli politics

(4) Israel's ability to become a nation with pretty strong Western values and a Western-style democracy and an advanced economy despite a lot of its neighbours being a bunch of backwater sand farmers makes them think of Israel as America wearing a yarmulke. This one is where I stand far more than 1-3.

This, of course ignores that: 

(1) In the Old Testament the Jews do a whole bunch of dumb things that God smacks them over the head about. Repeatedly. Putting paid the notion that the Jews are some sort of perfect people.

(2) A significant portion of Israel's founders were Communists, and the Soviet Union recognized them as a nation first IIRC.

(3) The internal politics of Israel have some pretty nasty portions that think that Christians aren't the best people on Earth.

(4) Israel is out to keep Israel around, and keeps this image very neat and tidy to keep themselves on their Sugar Daddy's nice side.

Edited by FlyingCanOpener, 06 December 2017 - 0718 AM.

#11 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0721 AM

I'll repeat the (not very convincing) explanation that I read a few times:

Supposedly, many evangelicals are interested in the apocalypse and somehow Israel is involved.

Here are a couple links form a google search for 'israel evangelicals apocalypse':

http://www.beliefnet...armageddon.aspx

https://www.huffingt...t_b_391351.html

https://www.pri.org/...-support-israel

https://en.wikipedia...ristian_Zionism

I must say, hyperpartisan theories about political enemies sometimes go so far off-board that it's difficult to imagine how they were formed in the first place.

Though in this example it may actually be more of a religious nutjob thing.

#12 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0754 AM

I'll repeat the (not very convincing) explanation that I read a few times:

Supposedly, many evangelicals are interested in the apocalypse and somehow Israel is involved.

Here are a couple links form a google search for 'israel evangelicals apocalypse':

http://www.beliefnet...armageddon.aspx

https://www.huffingt...t_b_391351.html

https://www.pri.org/...-support-israel

https://en.wikipedia...ristian_Zionism

I must say, hyperpartisan theories about political enemies sometimes go so far off-board that it's difficult to imagine how they were formed in the first place.

Though in this example it may actually be more of a religious nutjob thing.

Ok, I volunteer to take one for the team and answer, but will need a 96 hour liberty to recover. See the slightly noticeable text above in red.

"...the apocalypse and somehow Israel is involved."  OK Mr. Obvious, you want the source, a more honest and accurate source that those you posted -- BIBLE, read it!

#13 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 30,516 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0842 AM

(4) Israel's ability to become a nation with pretty strong Western values and a Western-style democracy and an advanced economy despite a lot of its neighbours being a bunch of backwater sand farmers makes them think of Israel as America wearing a yarmulke. This one is where I stand far more than 1-3.

There's also the obverse view. Choose your friends by who their enemies are.

Just by failing to go extinct, Jews have enraged the Left and the Muslim world. Must be doing something right.

#14 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0905 AM

(3) The internal politics of Israel have some pretty nasty portions that think that Christians aren't the best people on Earth.

Just a somewhat entertaining illustration to that I happened to read yesterday:

Rabbi forbids looking at NIS 50 bill featuring poet who married a Christian

Sephardic Rabbi Benzion Mutzafi says he folds note face down in pocket to avoid seeing visage of 'apostate' Saul Tchernichovsky

By SUE SURKES
3 December 2017, 8:52 pm

Followers of an influential Sephardic rabbi will from now have to avoid looking at the country’s NIS 50 banknote because the poet whose image adorns the bill was married to a Christian woman.

Rabbi Benzion Mutzafi issued his ruling after pulling the offending note out of his pocket during a weekend lesson he was giving, the ultra-Orthodox news site Kikar HaShabat reported Sunday.

After one of his students asked for a fuller explanation for the ban, the rabbi — a senior adjudicator of Jewish law in the Sephardic community — wrote, “As regards the illustrated image: It is known he [Tchernichovsky] was ‘married’ to a devout Christian woman who every Sunday would ‘pray’ in church.

“They say that at the time, the late Rabbi [Abraham Isaac] Kook [the first Ashkenazi chief rabbi of British Mandatory Palestine] pleaded with him, requested of him and tried to convince him that she convert to Judaism. And he refused.”

Tchernichovsky was married to Russian-born Christian Melania Karlova, with whom he had a daughter, Isolda.

He was one of four poets chosen in 2011 to appear on Israeli banknotes, together with Nathan Alterman, Leah Goldberg and Rachel Bluwstein.

The issuing of the NIS 50 note was met with anger by religious and other figures in Israel, when it was unveiled in September 2014.

Dr. Hagi Ben-Artzi, brother of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s wife, Sara, said that the use of the Russian-born poet’s image on the bill was “an outrage.”

“Shaul Tchernichovsky has become a symbol of assimilation, of assimilation ideology,” he said at the time, according to Israel National News. “It is inconceivable that such a person, as important a poet as he may be, should become a symbol in the State of Israel.”

Bentzi Gopstein, director of the violent anti-assimilation group Lehava, told Kikar HaShabat at the time that avoiding using the new notes was unrealistic.

“I could say (that) but no one would do it,” he said, though he too lamented the use of the poet. “We should learn who the real role models are.”

Prominent Orthodox rabbi Shlomo Aviner said Tchernichovsky’s portrait on an official bill of the Jewish state was “horribly grating.”

“Tchernichovsky was indeed an incredibly talented author and poet, and is tied to the people of Israel, but a terrible dishonor was deeply imprinted on his life, as he was married to a gentile woman, a very religious Christian,” Aviner, head of the Ateret Cohanim yeshiva in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City, told the NRG news website, adding that it was unthinkable that an intermarried poet should be “glorified on the nation’s banknote.”

Last month saw the introduction of the new NIS 100 and NIS 20 banknotes featuring Leah Goldberg and Rachel Bluwstein, better known simply as Rachel the Poet.

https://www.timesofi...ed-a-christian/

Assimilation is of course a touchy subject in Judaism because throughout history Jews have been under considerable pressure to convert to Christianity, sometimes to little reward considering that e. g. the Nazis didn't care much even if you were baptized three generations ago. I also recall some years ago there was a bit of a stink from Jewish circles about the Mormon practice of posthumously declaring long-deceased folks converted to their own faith, which you would think would be met with at best an eyeroll by the living.

Still, issueing basically a fatwa forbidding to look at the image of a long-dead guy who had the temerity to marry out of faith has to rank right up there with some other silliness from the fringes of Ultra-Orthodoxy that compete well with standard Islamist nutbaggery, like gender-segregated busses, throwing stones at women or spitting at schoolgirls for not covering themselves enough, and indeed no images of women in publications or in public at all; as all extremists tend to try pushing their views on majority society, international companies now design extra women-less adverts for Israel. Ikea recently got caught in a controversy about a catalogue specifically for the Ultra-Orthodox.

Edited by BansheeOne, 06 December 2017 - 0911 AM.

#15 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0919 AM

Must resist... urge to make... antisemitic joke about Jews and money...

#16 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 0942 AM

Just by failing to go extinct, Jews have enraged the Left and the Muslim world. Must be doing something right.

But so many Jews are dang lefties/Bolshies/"internationalists" it gets frustrating.

#17 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 1214 PM

But so many Jews are dang lefties/Bolshies/"internationalists" it gets frustrating.

The Left™ is far from unified. Though all lefites have a tendency to side with the underdog. As Israel has pretty much established itself, many side with the oppressed Palestinians.

OTOH there are still a lot of kibbuz around and those are cooperatively organized. Israel is also a social welfare state etc. etc.

to the original question:

Why do Evangelicals have any interest in Israel?

I think they confound modern day state of Israel with the "Israel" that is written about in the old testament.

#18 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 23,296 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 1234 PM

Kindred spirits of the untermensch.

#19 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 27,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 1847 PM

Ok, I volunteer to take one for the team and answer, but will need a 96 hour liberty to recover.

You're a better man than I.

#20 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 0256 AM

Kindred spirits of the untermensch.

How so? From that sentence, I take it that not being pro-Israeli settlements and their capital in Jerusalem means I'm anti semantic?

You do know my name is Josh, and my hair is curly? :)

EDIT: I should have specified the hair on my HEAD is curly...

Edited by Josh, 07 December 2017 - 0257 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users