Photo

Health Quackery Roundup

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2015 - 2140 PM

Nonsense. "Essential" body fat is ~5% for men, the lowest I've ever, ever been was 8-9% (and that only lasted a season), but that was measured via BIA, so the error bar was pretty big no matter how carefully done. But I felt fucking invulnerable. I'm sitting at around 17% right now and was even dipping into the dreaded 20% range ~6 mo ago and it feels like garbage.

I don't think <10% is sustainable with the amount of time I can actually devote to training these days, but I'd be pretty happy with a solid 10-12%.

Edited by Jason L, 12 August 2015 - 2157 PM.

#42 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 2209 PM

#43 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2015 - 2222 PM

I probably would have qualified for fat camp as a kid :(

#44 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 2253 PM

Man, I heard of pica decades ago and at the time didn't grasp how such a thing could be. Until I went low-carb for a few months, and my craving for animal fat became something that would frighten a prison psychiatrist. I went from boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner to bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, and there was no doubt I was craving the fat.

In high school we had a teacher that taught latin and ate chalk constantly, she'd run her fingers down the chalk rail and lick her fingers.  She was on the older side, the story was that she tutored one of the Caesers when she was younger.  In any case it was quite obvious to us that her body was craving calcium and this was the easiest way to get it.

#45 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 1823 PM

It amazes me that the body can just want ONE particular thing and steer your behavior toward it.

#46 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 1926 PM

It amazes me that the body can just want ONE particular thing and steer your behavior toward it.

That describes my teenage years into my early twenties............. :ninja:

#47 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2015 - 2110 PM

You mean sex?

#48 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 0309 AM

Bring out the pregnancy clichees! Nutella with pickles!

#49 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 0445 AM

Salt comes to mind.

#50 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 2002 PM

Salt comes to mind.

Same here.  Somedays, I want carbs.  Others, the thought of steak would make me gag, but I could eat my weight in fruits. 

#51 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 2259 PM

Salt comes to mind.

I've been thinking that I don't have such cravings.

Then I remembered: dark chocolate.

#52 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 0628 AM

Salt comes to mind.

I've been thinking that I don't have such cravings.

Then I remembered: dark chocolate.

I have the same problem with brown sugar. 

#53 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 0550 AM

Odd one I heard of last night. Newborns are not to receive water only untill 6 months old.

#54 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 0614 AM

Odd one I heard of last night. Newborns are not to receive water only untill 6 months old.

Weird.  My mom runs a daycare out of her home, has done it for years, and actually keeps up with the latest research and such.  After reading this I was almost positive I've seen her give babies younger than that water.  Then some google-fu showed this seems to be the prevailing wisdom and the more I think about it she sometimes doesn't get kids till they're almost 6 mo and frankly I couldn't tell the age of a baby if my life depended on it.

#55 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 0628 AM

One of the weirdest things I saw was when I got right out of the Army.  I rented a room from an old friend and right before I moved out they had their first kid.  I remember his wife froze excess breast milk and donated it to a charity.  It seemed a bit... odd but I recall her saying how much better it was for newborns than formula.  One of Stargrunt6's videos commented on this as well mentioning how so many of those formulas are loaded with sugar and you end up with really unhealthy babies as a result (and that horrible start really screws them over for life).  :blink:

#56 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 1822 PM

One part in the "Ominous Octet" of type 2 diabetes pathophysiology is the effects of hyperglycemia on the brain.  In short, it hampers satiety, which is why diabetics eat more.

Link to one groundbreaking article.

#57 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,158 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 1849 PM

One of the weirdest things I saw was when I got right out of the Army.  I rented a room from an old friend and right before I moved out they had their first kid.  I remember his wife froze excess breast milk and donated it to a charity.  It seemed a bit... odd but I recall her saying how much better it was for newborns than formula.  One of Stargrunt6's videos commented on this as well mentioning how so many of those formulas are loaded with sugar and you end up with really unhealthy babies as a result (and that horrible start really screws them over for life).  :blink:

Most low-fat things at the supermarket are really reduced-fat/increased-sugar.

#58 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,158 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 1851 PM

One part in the "Ominous Octet" of type 2 diabetes pathophysiology is the effects of hyperglycemia on the brain.  In short, it hampers satiety, which is why diabetics eat more.

Link to one groundbreaking article.

Does the above imply that maybe the endocrinal impact of diabetes leads to obesity, rather than v.v.?

#59 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 2017 PM

Most low-fat things at the supermarket are really reduced-fat/increased-sugar.

Yep they decrease the fat. so they add sugar to help it taste good, among other reasons they add sugar to those products. 

#60 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 2108 PM

Weird.  My mom runs a daycare out of her home, has done it for years, and actually keeps up with the latest research and such.  After reading this I was almost positive I've seen her give babies younger than that water.  Then some google-fu showed this seems to be the prevailing wisdom and the more I think about it she sometimes doesn't get kids till they're almost 6 mo and frankly I couldn't tell the age of a baby if my life depended on it.

I did some reading when I saw this, basically to much water upsets their electrolyte and way to much water could basically poison them. However normal amount will not hurt them, but generally babies up to that stage need breast milk/formula, as their body is growing very quickly. Water may reduce their intake, but hey that's all you got, give it to them in reasonable amounts.