148 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0152 AM

I think it's time that we build on the success of the Bovington-based Top 5 Tank lists. Selected experts have provided their personal short lists of top (or bottom) tanks based on their own selected criteria (for example: influence/impact, strategic mobility, the fundamental balance of firepower/mobility/protection, success in combat, number of user countries, etc.). The level of tongue-in-cheek with this one is completely up to the individual.   :)   

Gentlemen, we can do this...it's time that the contributors here voice their opinions (short and sweet), on this great site.

I'll go first...

Note: this list excludes my own person tanks that I was very fortunate to TC back in the day (Basha II, Beowulf, Dillinger, and A Pale Horse).

5. The Future Soviet Tank (FST-1 and FST-2) (these concepts, programs, prototypes...worries, drove tank development on both sides of the Cold War. While the FST-1 designation ultimately came to refer to a level of technology embodied by the T-72B and T-80U, just saying FST meant you were talking about something bigger, better, and scarier. What the US knew about the FST drove the adoption of the 120mm main gun and the addition of DU armor to the M1A1. The main gun seen on the 152mm testbed vehicle would have been a game-changer.          

4. IS-3 (a very important tank for the Soviets...as opposed to being a mysterious and secretive Cold War development, the IS-3 was the Soviet tank poster child. It "fired" the first volley of the action-reaction cycle that defined tank and AFV development during the Cold War. Historically either overrated or underrated, the IS-3 was about making a statement...during a parade in Berlin, a parade in Red Square, or during the fighting in Sinai.       

3. M1A1 (for me, this is truly the American "gunfighter." Representing a model balance of modern firepower, mobility, and protection, without being hindered by technology, the M1A1 can do it all. Capable of defeating any opponent...arguably, the best tank in the world for a period of years.)     

2. T-64 Series (the first widely produced and deployed Soviet Premium Tank. It was truly revolutionary and caused significant headaches for US and NATO war planners. It was very clear to me that it could easily penetrate the frontal armor of my M60A1 and M60A3TTS, but I couldn't return the favor. For a short period of time, it was probably the best tank in the world.)      

1. SU-122-54 (I know, I know it's not a tank, but it's mysterious, historic, and simply "bad-ass;" probably the best single vehicle representation of the Soviet side of the Cold War. In its day, it would have been a very capable opponent being more accurate and providing a higher rate of fire than the T-10M. In 1967 the same main gun (basically) and ammo were knocking out Israeli M48s in the Sinai. I love this vehicle!)   

There you have it...let's get started!

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0325 AM

In the strict understanding this is all tongue in cheek, lest anyone start getting a bad attack of apoplexy...

5. Vickers Medium tank. Which was probably distinctly mediocre as far as armour is concerned, but it had a good gun, for its day a decent fighting compartment, and pioneered the development of mechanized warfare and the development of radio control of armoured forces on Salisbury Plain in the 1930's. And it just looks strangely attractive to me. It looks like like what an Edwardian would come up with if you asked him to design an MBT. I love the groovy mg mounts on the hull sides, its like something they expected to fight statically at Roarke's Drift.

4 Churchill. It wasnt very fast, it didnt have a great gun, the early versions had all kinds of mechanical problems. But... later versions had frontal armour as thick as a King Tiger, it was one of the few British tank designs that could be upgunned (even in the field looking at the 75.NA), pioneered the development of Armoured Engineer vehicles, and was spectacular at climbing hill's. Slowly, but who's in a hurry, right? To my mind, it was the best British tank of the war. Which is perhaps not saying as much, but...

3 Sherman Firefly. Because the British just love to show off to our Cousins. Ie 'Look, bigger gun! Nyah Nyah!'

2 Cromwell and Comet. Because any tank that has a Rolls Royce Merlin in it sounds like a good idea to me. That and they both proved you can build such a think as a reconnaissance tank. Cromwell in particular proved that marrying an aircraft engine to a Christie suspension leads to truly spectacular performance. Perhaps not quite what you want to fight through Normandy Villages at barrel length away from a Tiger though.

1 Challenger 2. Partly because unlike various other European tank designs of which we will say the less the better, its actually proved itself in Combat. It also proves that leaving a design up to industry rather than having defence ministry's sticking their oar in every five minutes is a good idea. And lastly, with all the Up-Armour on it, it really looks like it should be on the set of a New Mad Max film.

We need more than 5 imho. I didnt even have a good chance to have a rant about Vickers Independent or TOG2. :)

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 05 January 2019 - 0418 AM.

#3 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,290 posts
  • Interests:Being odd and unusual.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0414 AM

Top 5 Kawaii tanks/tankettes

Criteria: Interwar to end of WW2, each nation has candidates that compete, then top candidates of each nation compete for the top 5 rank.

Number 5

Howitzer Motor Carriage M8

The short 75 has a cuter and less sharp appearance than 37mm. 75mm on the Chaffee is a little beefer looking thus less cute. The hull of the Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 is smoother yet still compact thus beating out the riveted box look of other M2/M3 light tanks. But the oter casing around the 75mm is a little too wide and too short and 4 road wheels of the suspension are a little less appealing although the full shape of the suspension is quite cute. Small open top fighting compartment is also quite cute.

Number 4

Carro Veloce CV-35

Very small with modest appearing suspension and duel MGs. General proportions and riveted hull do score lower but not poorly but by having the crew onboard really presents attitude of cuteness by its small size and effort to try and present itself as a AFV.

Number 3

T-70

It has general small, smooth, yet compact body. The 45mm main gun that looks neither too flimsy nor too beefy. Thus it beats out T-60 due to its 20mm looking too sharp. The disc style road wheels of the suspension also add a more bubbly and intimate feel as oppose to the frame style on the T-60. It's proportionately smaller turret makes it less pronounce than HMC M8 sealing the T-70 the spot at number 3.

Number 2

Type 97 Te-ke

Small, compact, a combination of smooth and slopes but with some rivets, and a well rounded small turret with a modest 37mm main gun make for a total package of cuteness. The muffle outlet wrapping back up towards the front add a feeling of compactness. It beats out the Type 95 Ha-Go and other tankettes such as the Type 94 versions by looking less clunky than these. The road wheels are full disc and the large road wheel in the back adds to well rounded compact feel.

Number 1

VK1602

A little controversial as never having seen service however its overall compact shape is coupled with the wide treads that adds a greater bubbly feeling. The turret is small, smooth, and angled yet does not appear sharp. The main 50mm cannon may have been too sharp in appearance but that possibly negative characteristic was turned into a strong positive by the presence of the muzzle break which gives it a sort of attitude feeling that it means business by the little tank. The road wheels are not only full discs but are also interleaved thus deepening a sense of compactness that just makes one want to hug the thing.

For fun of course :)

Edited by JasonJ, 05 January 2019 - 0415 AM.

#4 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0418 AM

1. Renault FT - the first to get the basic concept of a turreted tank right

2. T34 - the best medium tank of WW2

3. T54 the first MBT

4. M1A1 probably the best MBT of the late cold war period

5. T64 the best MBT of the 1960ies and 1970ies

#5 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0443 AM

5. The Goliath. Every tank museum in Europe can't be wrong.

4. The M47, for its reliable service in Vietnam. Sport.

3. The Panther. Despite never moving a meter under its own power due to the faulty drive train, it nevertheless saw service in Germany, France and Indochina. It's a miracle.

2. The M60A2 Pruitt. Because, TankNet.

1. The Gav!n. If you have to ask, I have to kill you.

#6 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0609 AM

3. The Panther. Despite never moving a meter under its own power due to the faulty drive train, it nevertheless saw service in Germany, France and Indochina. It's a miracle.

The Panther in Indochina?

#7 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0620 AM

Some Germans just got really lost. :D

Its an old Tanknet meme, a bit like the Kitsap County M47's. Legend has it the French Army when they were using Panther postwar took one to Indochina to see how it would get on. There is no proof of it, that I know of anyway, and its probably a myth. But such a good one, nobody wants to prick holes in it.

Why let the truth get in the way of a great story. :)

#8 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0752 AM

No never deployed to Indochina as being to unwieldy for the terrain and the difficulty in providing the logistics for a few rather fragile tanks.

#9 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0813 AM

Interesting you did not ask about the M47 in the ARVN, sport! ;)

Old, very old memes on tank-net. I think tank-net still used pony express to exchange the messages then. No, neither tank was in 'Nam, but there were people claiming so. The Panther seems to have been traced to photos of M36 B2 in french serevice in Indochine.

Banshee1 has written up the perfect list, we can now close and lock this thread. Or go totally off topic as we never do. ^_^

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0849 AM

Its not the perfect thread, nobody has mentioned the combat reform ™ M113 General Gavin yet. Is honorary tank! In fact, worth 10 tanks!

#11 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 19,657 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0853 AM

There are a few photos of French M36B2s in Indochina, that at a quick glance resemble a Panther--myth, started. :)

23443581861_6050346c84_b.jpg

a-m36.jpg

Edited by shep854, 05 January 2019 - 0855 AM.

#12 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0907 AM

Interesting you did not ask about the M47 in the ARVN, sport! ;)

Old, very old memes on tank-net. I think tank-net still used pony express to exchange the messages then. No, neither tank was in 'Nam, but there were people claiming so. The Panther seems to have been traced to photos of M36 B2 in french serevice in Indochine.

Banshee1 has written up the perfect list, we can now close and lock this thread. Or go totally off topic as we never do. ^_^

:D

Actually the M47 was only employed by the Kitsap militia which is such an effective fighting force multiplier, it would be considered a strategic combined nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons system all by itself. Also, a little know fact is that if it was unleashed; it would "shock and awe" through Hanoi, rampage to the Northeast ravaging Peking, pivoting in the that city to the Northwest straight through Moscow and then, finally, stop in Berlin (to show how it is done.). The "M47's" that were in Vietnam were actually " visually modified vehicles." German Mark V's actually with the drivetrain replaced by good, ole 'Murrican M3 Stuart engine and drivetrains!

FWIW, this ex-sailor would pick the following:

German M III. I believe the German Army "did their best" with this tank and its derivatives.

Sherman. From my understanding, basically started from scratch(with the M3 engine/drivetrain). Adequately served world-wide with different armies for many years. 

T54. I believe this was the accumulation of Soviet WW2 MBT tank design. Good gun, armor, mobility combination which its basic design formed the basis for soviet tank developmentCold War and beyond. 

Leopard 1. Again, from my limited understanding, this tank drew on German Army experience fighting the red horde. I believe alot of European countries bought it also. I don't know the numbers produced, but it may be the most numerous tank the Soviets faced against NATO.

M1. It took awhile, but the U.S. finally got a world-class tank.

#13 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0946 AM

Not in any particular order.

Sherman, any mark, it doesn't really matter. The workhorse of the Allied forces in WWII. Without it things would have been far more difficult.

Centurion. The western equivalent of the T-54 (and I think can argue with it for description of first MBT, too).

T-64. A huge step forward, forced a stream of upgrades in the west based on its perceived strengths.

Merkava mk1 - represented a rethink of the design of a modern MBT although I see it as almost a prototype for the later marks, despite being a production series tank. Reversing the hull layout and making room for dismounts (albeit an austere/emergency capability) is a big step. An innovative turret design, too.

FT-17 - as the true archetype of modern tank design, although in "petit bijou" form, the FT-17 leads the way in terms of the layout for most all successful tank designs to follow.

#14 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 0947 AM

I like the Sherman too. Particularly after I learned Bovington has the worlds oldest survivor, the second ever off the production line.

I suppose my main interest can be delineated by the Haynes books on tanks I own.

Sherman

Tiger

T34

Chieftain

Challenger1

WW1 MkIV

There is supposedly a couple of new ones out on the M1a1 and Challenger 2, no idea what they are like yet though.

#15 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • Interests:WW II, Current Defense Issues, Military History in General

Posted 05 January 2019 - 1002 AM

Actually the M47 was only employed by the Kitsap militia which is such an effective fighting force multiplier, it would be considered a strategic combined nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons system all by itself. Also, a little know fact is that if it was unleashed; it would "shock and awe" through Hanoi, rampage to the Northeast ravaging Peking, pivoting in the that city to the Northwest straight through Moscow and then, finally, stop in Berlin (to show how it is done.). The "M47's" that were in Vietnam were actually " visually modified vehicles." German Mark V's actually with the drivetrain replaced by good, ole 'Murrican M3 Stuart engine and drivetrains!

I'm so pissed off that I haven't been enrolled in the Kitsap militia even after living here three years that I'm going to vote for only one.

1. Medium Tank T25, because it shoulda.

:D

#16 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 05 January 2019 - 1105 AM

If I had to bet I'd say the Goliath killed more soldiers after they were captured than they did in combat.

Edited by Harold Jones, 05 January 2019 - 1107 AM.

#17 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Interests:Military History

Posted 05 January 2019 - 1136 AM

I nominate the Swedish S-Tank (Stridsvagn 103). :wub:

#18 Martin M

Martin M

• Members