• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 1949 PM

I remember seeing a WWII German graph showing the pitching or oscillations of various tanks of that time, vs speed. I remember the T34 did very badly in that graph.

Given that the T34 had no shock absorbers, it is not surprising that the tank would suffer from all kinds of pitching at higher speeds. How did the more luxurious British tanks with Christie suspension - Cruiser/Cromwell/Comet/etc, which did have shock absorbers - behave? One would think that a long travel suspension with some damping would do very well, particularly compared to the limited travel of most early torsion bar suspensions.

Edited by Mikel2, 09 January 2019 - 1952 PM.

#2 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,519 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 2207 PM

My understanding was that it was very good 

#3 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Cold war era tanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 0028 AM

The labeling in that graph showed that it was a tank destroyer T-34 variant being evaluated. It said T34 (Sturmg.), so it was probably an SU-85 but also possibly an SU-100. Both would be very front-heavy and the SU-100 especially so.

#4 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 0434 AM

My understanding was that it was very good 

Did the Soviets get any Covenanters? No wonder Stalin distrusted Western allies :lol:

#5 CaptLuke

CaptLuke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 1726 PM

I remember seeing a WWII German graph showing the pitching or oscillations of various tanks of that time, vs speed. I remember the T34 did very badly in that graph.

Given that the T34 had no shock absorbers, it is not surprising that the tank would suffer from all kinds of pitching at higher speeds. How did the more luxurious British tanks with Christie suspension - Cruiser/Cromwell/Comet/etc, which did have shock absorbers - behave? One would think that a long travel suspension with some damping would do very well, particularly compared to the limited travel of most early torsion bar suspensions.

In Technology of tanks, Ogorkiewicz gives these numbers for total suspension travel:

• T34: 230mm
  • Christie's designs (unspecified): around 350mm
  • Cromwell: 416mm

He also mentioned that the Soviets used stiffer springs, which contributed more to pitching relative to the softer springs used by Christie and the UK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users