• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#821 Marsh

Marsh

Miserable old git

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. S.F. Photography.Wine, Women and Celtic folk music.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 1328 PM

The photo is new to me. Could be real, the Merkava is certainly not omnipotent. There may be some elements of image manipulation, but I don't have much technical knowledge to comment on that. Frankly, you need Dadi I for this and even if he is around nowadays, it might be OPSEC.
Cheers
Marsh

#822 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,296 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 1345 PM

The photo is new to me. Could be real, the Merkava is certainly not omnipotent. There may be some elements of image manipulation, but I don't have much technical knowledge to comment on that. Frankly, you need Dadi I for this and even if he is around nowadays, it might be OPSEC.
Cheers
Marsh

It may be nothing more than a transmission oil line or fuel line that broke and burst into flames.  Not a usual occurrence, but I know of it happening a few times.

#823 Tomi Sarvanko

Tomi Sarvanko

Sausage grilling hyper active reserve officer home commando!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:Family, skiing and sailing.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 0502 AM

Did an image search for that burning Merkava IV picture and found this:

https://www.fresh.co...ad.php?t=579703

(Same picture at the end of the thread)

Translation of the comments:

"This picture was recently published in the VK with the description that it was the impact of an anti-tank missile during the Second Lebanon War, and the fire was extinguished and the engine replaced."

"The picture was shown to me 10 years ago by D., one of the crew members of the tank and perhaps the one who took it (not closed on it). The tank was indeed hit by an anti-tank missile, the team abandoned it without casualties, and later they were evacuated to Israel, I did not ask him, and he did not tell what exactly they were doing and if they extinguished"

#824 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 0719 AM

The only picture that I could find that resembles this one is not of a Merkava IV.  Is this the one you were talking about?

In any case it appears that the crew attempted to fight the fire as evidenced by the access hatch being open.

No, I can not find it now, but there was a video of 2 x Merk IV in the field, then ATGM comes from a left side hits one closer to camera, other starts smoke screen and first one starts smoking with black smoke and then video ends.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users