Photo

Does Smith and Wesson make a .32 revolver?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell did the French stop making that tracked sports car with the pirated German canon? Point me to the tank races.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 0246 AM

I understand that its supposed to be hammerless, and sort of a lady's gun. I can't find it on their website. Does anyone have a link to this that they can post for me. Thanks.

Edited by On the way, 13 April 2009 - 0249 AM.

#2 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,620 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 0331 AM

They have discontinued the Ladysmith in .32 Mag. They still have the Model 632 with the integral compensator.
Why would you want this?

Simon

ETA:- This is in .327 Federal Magnum which is a new pumped up version of the earlier .32 H&R...itself a pumped .32 SW Long. The major difference is that it is rated as a 45Kpsi load, which is about the same as an AK in pressure. It will chamber and shoot all the shorter .32 rimmed fodder.
The only rationale is that it allows for 6 shots where a .38 Spl would handle on 5.
J-frames are really deep concealment or back up guns.

Edited by Simon Tan, 13 April 2009 - 0339 AM.

#3 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell did the French stop making that tracked sports car with the pirated German canon? Point me to the tank races.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 0356 AM

They have discontinued the Ladysmith in .32 Mag. They still have the Model 632 with the integral compensator.
Why would you want this?

Simon

ETA:- This is in .327 Federal Magnum which is a new pumped up version of the earlier .32 H&R...itself a pumped .32 SW Long. The major difference is that it is rated as a 45Kpsi load, which is about the same as an AK in pressure. It will chamber and shoot all the shorter .32 rimmed fodder.
The only rationale is that it allows for 6 shots where a .38 Spl would handle on 5.
J-frames are really deep concealment or back up guns.

Simon,

I know someone, a female, who is getting a concealed weapons permit, and wants something lighter, and with a smaller recoil. I personally recommended the walter PPK. But she is not interested in semi-autos. She did not have a good experience shooting the Beretta 92M. I told her it was a totally different feel between a WAlter and the Beretta. But, I can't pursuade her. I did not realise that it was discontinued. Do you think it will be a problem getting ammo for it? What is the SW Model number for this discontinued .32? But we both agree that a .22 is not the way to go. Thank god. :-)

#4 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,620 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 0625 AM

Errr...in Singapore? You can't get them there and even if you did a special import there is ZERO ammo for it.

One of the most common problems observed in pistol classes is that the boys turn up with their full sized blasters and the chicks all have itty bitty little guns that are a complete bitch to shoot. I am pretty sure that this is done to handicap the WAGs. What happens is that the ladies get disillusioned and lose confidence, eventually they stop shooting altogether.

She should carry the largest pistol she can effectively conceal in the biggest caliber she is comfortable with. Too many people buy a gun and then think about how they re going to carry and train. The reverse should be true...think of how you intend to live with the gun and then choose one that is the best compromise. Is she keeping the gun at home or carrying it around? Is she going to carry it in her handbag or does she plan to wear a holster? Ladies' wardrobes tend to be rather less holster friendly than mens'.....

One of the false economies of snubby revolvers is that they tend to be difficult to shoot well. Short sight radii and low-profile sights aren't really very user friendly plus they tend to have a great deal of muzzle flash and blast.
Light pistols also tend to transfer recoil in a sharper manner than heavier guns. The Scandium and Titanium J-frames are really quite unpleasant in this regard.

PPKs would not be my choice for a CCW much. They are finicky about what they like to feed and the S&W ones have been plagued with issues. Slide mounted safeties also suck IMO and I am very unfond of them.

A compact 9mm would be my preference for a WAG. Something they will carry and is yet manageable on the range. Glock 19 or the S&W M&P9C. Point and pull.

Simon

#5 Doug Kibbey

Doug Kibbey

Self Absorbed Nostalgia Monger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1116 AM

Simon,

I know someone, a female, who is getting a concealed weapons permit, and wants something lighter, and with a smaller recoil.

Mutually exclusive objectives. See if you can persuade her to "move up a frame" to something that will take .38Spl's in a +P or ++P load. "K" or "L" frame (or analog) with short barrel and service grips or aftermarket. And no lightweight metals. Let the gun absorb the minimal recoil of that cartridge. Maybe local range has some stuff you can rent and she can experience lightweights vs. something with some heft when the loud button is engaged.

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

can you dig it?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,342 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1207 PM

This is not a one-gun problem. Consider two guns;

#1 - S&W model 60 3" (SKU 162430) with the 4-finger grips

#2 - S&W model 442 (SKU 150544)

Start her off with the model 60 shooting .38 Spl target wadcutters, gradually work up to +P loads. When she's mastered that, then get the Airweight. The larger and heavier model 60 will serve better as a practice gun and is a better nightstand gun. With this approach, she can stay with one design of speedloader (and speedstrips too).

#7 Luckyorwhat

Luckyorwhat

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1235 PM

http://www.charterfi...dy32_53230.html

53230 .32 H&R Pink Lady
Model: 53230
Finish: 2-Tone: Pink & Stainless
Frame: 7075 Aluminum
Grip: Standard
Barrel length: 2"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .32 H&R
Hammer: Standard
Weight: 12 oz.
Sugg Retail: $438.00

Posted Image

#8 Doug Kibbey

Doug Kibbey

Self Absorbed Nostalgia Monger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1344 PM

This is not a one-gun problem. Consider two guns;

#1 - S&W model 60 3" (SKU 162430) with the 4-finger grips

#2 - S&W model 442 (SKU 150544)

Start her off with the model 60 shooting .38 Spl target wadcutters, gradually work up to +P loads. When she's mastered that, then get the Airweight. The larger and heavier model 60 will serve better as a practice gun and is a better nightstand gun. With this approach, she can stay with one design of speedloader (and speedstrips too).

Model 60 like this would be a good call. Underlug, 3" barrel AND target sights (which makes practice a lot more interesting and rewarding). Just don't let her chamber a magnum for years.

http://www.sightm191...Model_60-15.htm

#9 Shortround6

Shortround6

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1507 PM

I have a PP in .32 ACP, very pleasant gun to shoot and feeds hollow points with no problem. I had a Female friend in her 60s who had a PPK in .380. She had arthritus in her wrist and tended to limp wrist the gun as a result. She couldn't fire an entire magazine without a jam. I fired 3 magazines in row without trouble. She hunted big game and had several Anschutz target rifles which she used at Camp Perry.
I also have a 3in model 36 S.&W. with rubber grips. With target .38s it is a fairly pleasant gun to shoot and a 5'-2" step-daughter enjpyed with the target loads.

#10 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,682 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1510 PM

If you are looking for a small, somewhat heavy revolver, another option is the Ruger SP101.

http://www.ruger-fir...F...on&famlst=9

This is the smallest revolver I would consider firing a .357 magnum through. NONE for a beginner unless they absolutely demand it!

The SP101 is also the first revolver chambered for the .327 Fed Mag., so it will also fire the other .32 rimmed cartridges.

#11 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1652 PM

Errr...in Singapore? You can't get them there and even if you did a special import there is ZERO ammo for it.

Simon, people do have concealed weapons in Singapore. Its not common knowledge. Some Ministers carry concealed handguns, usually something that the local Police pass on to them. Like say a SW .38 snub nose. My cousin who was a Military Policeman carried a SW revolver in an ankle holster for 2 years. Elites who are connected can get whatever they want. People in certain professions in S'pore can also get a concealed weapon. I am not saying she is anybody special in Singapore. LOL.

One of the most common problems observed in pistol classes is that the boys turn up with their full sized blasters and the chicks all have itty bitty little guns that are a complete bitch to shoot. I am pretty sure that this is done to handicap the WAGs. What happens is that the ladies get disillusioned and lose confidence, eventually they stop shooting altogether.

She should carry the largest pistol she can effectively conceal in the biggest caliber she is comfortable with. Too many people buy a gun and then think about how they re going to carry and train. The reverse should be true...think of how you intend to live with the gun and then choose one that is the best compromise. Is she keeping the gun at home or carrying it around? Is she going to carry it in her handbag or does she plan to wear a holster? Ladies' wardrobes tend to be rather less holster friendly than mens'.....

Yes, she will carry it in her handbag, hence, the need for a hammerless revolver. SHe will keep the gun at home, probably in her bedroom. With a trigger lock. When she goes out, she will carry it in her handbag. I have tried to talk her into a holster, like an ankle holster. Having seen how big and cluttered her bag is, I know she will be fumbling around in there. LOL. SHe has tried other handguns out, and she seems to be set on this particular model.

One of the false economies of snubby revolvers is that they tend to be difficult to shoot well. Short sight radii and low-profile sights aren't really very user friendly plus they tend to have a great deal of muzzle flash and blast.
Light pistols also tend to transfer recoil in a sharper manner than heavier guns. The Scandium and Titanium J-frames are really quite unpleasant in this regard.

PPKs would not be my choice for a CCW much. They are finicky about what they like to feed and the S&W ones have been plagued with issues. Slide mounted safeties also suck IMO and I am very unfond of them.

A compact 9mm would be my preference for a WAG. Something they will carry and is yet manageable on the range. Glock 19 or the S&W M&P9C. Point and pull.

Simon

Thanks for comments Simon. I suggested a Glock to her too. I did not know the PPKs had issues, but I will definitely look up and research your suggested models. Whatever she gets, I am looking forward to SHOOTING IT. :-)

#12 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1657 PM

Mutually exclusive objectives. See if you can persuade her to "move up a frame" to something that will take .38Spl's in a +P or ++P load. "K" or "L" frame (or analog) with short barrel and service grips or aftermarket. And no lightweight metals. Let the gun absorb the minimal recoil of that cartridge. Maybe local range has some stuff you can rent and she can experience lightweights vs. something with some heft when the loud button is engaged.

She is lugging it in her handbag, and I think the weight is a concern to her. But she has shot other guns and seems to be the most comfortable with this one. but thanks for the suggestions.

#13 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 1705 PM

If you are looking for a small, somewhat heavy revolver, another option is the Ruger SP101.

http://www.ruger-fir...F...on&famlst=9

This is the smallest revolver I would consider firing a .357 magnum through. NONE for a beginner unless they absolutely demand it!

The SP101 is also the first revolver chambered for the .327 Fed Mag., so it will also fire the other .32 rimmed cartridges.

Great, thanks for the link.

#14 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,682 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 13 April 2009 - 2148 PM

Great, thanks for the link.

I used to own one (it got stolen) and they are solid guns. With milder rounds than .357, they are quite pleasant to shoot. Ruger made a 9x19 model briefly, but they (and the moon clips for the 9mm cartridges) will be hard to find.

#15 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,694 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 0216 AM

I used to own one (it got stolen) and they are solid guns. With milder rounds than .357, they are quite pleasant to shoot. Ruger made a 9x19 model briefly, but they (and the moon clips for the 9mm cartridges) will be hard to find.

So did S&W. The Model 547.

http://www.vintagepi...rt_S&W_547.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users