24 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 2230 PM

This one is in quite nice condition, with a mint bore. Came with the pictured logbook that begins:

POLUAUTOMATSKA PUSKA 7,62 mm M-59/66 A1
Serija i broj: P626949
Datum izrade: 29 IX 1979
Poreklo: JUGOSLOVENSKO

Can anyone tell me what "Procenat nagrizenosti" means?

Posted Image

#2 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 0431 AM

% of the damage to the bore due the rust/use. Once it reaches 100% rifle goes to junkyard.

#3 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts
  • Interests:You seriously DO NOT want to know.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 1550 PM

Man, I hate those things (that bayonets decorational, right?)

#4 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,157 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 20 January 2010 - 1813 PM

Man, I hate those things (that bayonets decorational, right?)

All the SKS bayonets I've seen were fully functional. In some US jurisdictions, SKS' with bayonets are banned as "assault weapons". IIRC, the only reason the Yugos get in is that they are listed as "Curios and Relics", ie, "obsolete" weapons that have been out of production for a certain time. I believe the cutoff is sometime in the mid-'50s.

#5 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 1954 PM

It's a fully functional bayonet, but obviously just an unused accessory (except perhaps for those who feel the need to charge and bayonet their paper targets).

#6 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 2102 PM

It's a fully functional bayonet, but obviously just an unused accessory (except perhaps for those who feel the need to charge and bayonet their paper targets).

Friendly piece of advice: Watch WHERE you put your fingers. Also include superglue + bandages + gauze in your shooty supplies.

Damn, I hate that thing.

#7 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 2335 PM

Friendly piece of advice: Watch WHERE you put your fingers. Also include superglue + bandages + gauze in your shooty supplies.

Damn, I hate that thing.

Dare we ask just HOW you came by that particular bit of wisdom??? :)

#8 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 0006 AM

Dare we ask just HOW you came by that particular bit of wisdom??? :)

Don't want to talk about it.

#9 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 0857 AM

Don't want to talk about it.

Good enough.

#10 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 1036 AM

Bojan: thanks for the help. What language is this specifically (Serbian, Slovenian, Croation, etc.)?

#11 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 1155 AM

Bojan: thanks for the help. What language is this specifically (Serbian, Slovenian, Croation, etc.)?

Serbian.

#12 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 1219 PM

The Serbs know how to make a solid rifle. This thing seems to be built like a tank.

#13 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 1226 PM

The Serbs know how to make a solid rifle. This thing seems to be built like a tank.

Not compared to the others.

#14 thekirk

thekirk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 1723 PM

Not compared to the others.

Maxx, I don't get what you're saying, here. Is it that other SKS versions are better-made, or that other Serbian weapons are better?

Frankly, I've never encountered a Zastava small arm that I didn't like. My own Yugoslavian SKS is a hell of a lot nicer than other examples of the breed I've shot, particularly the Chinese.

Granted, the SKS isn't an implement for modern war. Given the choice between it and an AK, of any vintage or type, I'd likely pick the AK. But, for what it is, the SKS isn't that bad.

#15 Bob B

Bob B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 1832 PM

Maxx, I don't get what you're saying, here. Is it that other SKS versions are better-made, or that other Serbian weapons are better?

Frankly, I've never encountered a Zastava small arm that I didn't like. My own Yugoslavian SKS is a hell of a lot nicer than other examples of the breed I've shot, particularly the Chinese.

Granted, the SKS isn't an implement for modern war. Given the choice between it and an AK, of any vintage or type, I'd likely pick the AK. But, for what it is, the SKS isn't that bad.

I have a friend that feels the same way about M14 rifles. He just hates the memory of his basic training, and the M14 was a big part of that.

#16 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 2108 PM

I've studiously avoided SKS of any type. I have a pathological aversion (I'll get to that in a bit). Compared to the other rifles of local manufacture (even the pressed metal local AK47 [M70AB]) I've handled it felt like a toy - from the M76 Sniper, through to M48 (medium action Mauser 98K), and ever rifle I came into contact with from Zastavas civilian program.

I too like Zastavas products (ah...caveat - the Yugo), and actually take quite a bit of pride in the quality of the small arms produced; accept the PAP - ovka (SKS).

Its a good copy? Fine, still feels cheap compared to everything else. I j*u*s*t don't like it.

But then I am biased.

Edited by Maxx, 22 January 2010 - 2127 PM.

#17 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 2124 PM

B)-->
QUOTE(Bob B @ Fri 22 Jan 2010 2332) View Post
I have a friend that feels the same way about M14 rifles. He just hates the memory of his basic training, and the M14 was a big part of that.[/quote]

Actually, I was considered weird - loved basic training. The PAP (SKS) was NOT the first duty weapon I signed of for, not even close. It was the one I carried the most, however (perversely enough my last shot previous was with the local LAW (RRB 64mm M80) before picking up that...thing)

I estimate I had the blasted insult - for one six month period - in my immediate possession for around 1500 hours, plus a few more hundred hours of group drill time not included in that estimate.

One almost cut my fingers off. I spent hours going into days (if added up) cleaning the local version preservative gunk (I think you chaps call cosmoline) off - with motor oil.

It got so I volunteered three times for the (now former) ground safety zone around Kosovo. Unsuccessfully.

I'd buy one just to remove the bayonet, grab it by the barrel and smash - with much passion and gusto, possibly/probably while screaming with laughter - against a concrete wall. Or the head of the Montenegrin Major that was our CO.

I can see my self hissing, spitting and jumping up and down on the remains. I'm pretty sure it could go on for quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite some time (also thinking of the previously mentioned CO).

So, basically not a fan.

Edited by Maxx, 24 January 2010 - 0629 AM.

#18 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 1456 PM

Fair enough. A lot of folks complain that currently manufactured guns are nothing but a mass of castings, MIM, and plastic. For them, the wood and machined steel/ stamped construction of the M59/66 must seem like a breath of fresh air :P

#19 Djuice

Djuice

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 1858 PM

Why they still make guns with "Wood"? Can't they use lightweight polymer instead, it would look way better, not to mention alot lighter. Is the added weight there used to counter the recoil generated?

#20 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 1923 PM

Why they still make guns with "Wood"? Can't they use lightweight polymer instead, it would look way better, not to mention alot lighter. Is the added weight there used to counter the recoil generated?

...its a fifty odd year old communist block mass produced military rifle.

7.63x39 has sweet F all recoil in single shot.

...and why type "wood" like so?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users