• Please log in to reply
7608 replies to this topic

#7021 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 2125 PM

So end of the year will see release of another long-awaited blockbuster sequel which has potential to make Disney even more gigabucks on top of already absurd pile Endgame is gathering them. And I am not talking about Star Wars. No, the mega-release will be...Frozen 2.

Now, who doesn't want yet another chirpy, happy, colourful Disney princess movie? Well, apparently Disney doesn't, as the first teaser and trailer look all dark, scary and intense. So long Arendelle, Elsa and Anna are heading to Mordor. Also now, Newtonian mechanics >> magic.

In all seriousness, it seems unlikely Disney will venture too far from their successful basic formula for this franchise movies, despite the first impressions. Still, interesting how openly they are pandering for more mature audiences with these first peeks. Also the animation and scenery looks gorgeous. It's almost too photo-realistic for animated feature. And as a big fan of yoik music, oh yeah!

I fear (or perhaps celebrate?) the day that Queen Elsa is summoned by MONARCH to help cool down Godzilla from burning up--AND putting the kibosh on DESTORYAHHHHHH!!!!!!1111!!!

#7022 Yama

Yama

Finntroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 0412 AM

Platinum-haired queen in epic fantasy setting, can't go wrong!

frozen-elsa-winter-is-coming-t-shirt.jpg

She's probably going Beyond the Wall to fight White Walker invasion...or to start it. :unsure:

#7023 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,124 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 0651 AM

Dang, Yama, don't give Hollywood any ideas. You know how they love universe crossover stories. 

#7024 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 58,987 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 0752 AM

There was supposed to be a Jump Street/Men in Black crossover at one point. Which really ticks all the boxes on Hollywood abortiveness as far as im concerned.

#7025 Yama

Yama

Finntroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1314 PM

Dang, Yama, don't give Hollywood any ideas. You know how they love universe crossover stories. 

Too late! I already emailed my pitch!

...though GRRM himself might be ahead of me. In the books Night King was former Lord Commander of the Night Watch who was seduced and corrupted by beautiful, mysterious "Cold Queen". Hmmm... :ph34r:

#7026 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 2103 PM

saw John Wick. Good movie, but it's a 90s movie made later. even Marilyn Manson is on the soundtrack.

And the 3rd movie soundtrack has Bush. Are they going after Gen X money?

https://youtu.be/O33FbbArWjU

#7027 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 33,124 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 2227 PM

saw John Wick. Good movie, but it's a 90s movie made later. even Marilyn Manson is on the soundtrack.

I saw a comment online the other day that advertising types are starting to question their targeting of millennials. Kinda like, hey, they've got crushing student loan debts and mortgages payments, and have little disposable income; can they afford the product? 

#7028 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0559 AM

And would it appeal to them? Or would they complain on Twitter how -ist or -phobic it is?

#7029 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1633 PM

Do I see a Tomcat at the end there?

#7030 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1637 PM

Yes you did.  Why?  I have no idea.

Also curious what the space suit rig he seems to be in for a few shots (when talking to the admiral and when sitting in the cockpit at 1:23) is all about.  Maybe that's how the movie starts out - Maverick is a test pilot and he's being told he's going back to the fleet for one last hurrah?

Edit - I figured it out!  Maverick is a test pilot at Area 51 at the start of the film.  This whole recent 'storm Area 51' craze is secretly a viral marketing campaign for this movie!  :lol:

Edited by Skywalkre, 18 July 2019 - 1732 PM.

#7031 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1835 PM

​

Hornets are fugly aeroplanes. That's why.

(or they fight iran in the climax :lol:)

#7032 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1836 PM

I saw a comment online the other day that advertising types are starting to question their targeting of millennials. Kinda like, hey, they've got crushing student loan debts and mortgages payments, and have little disposable income; can they afford the product? 

And the parental support is running out...

#7033 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 58,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0209 AM

Do I see a Tomcat at the end there?

Yep. The USN finally saw the error in its ways. :)

https://www.thedrive...un-2-production

#7034 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0538 AM

​

Hornets are fugly aeroplanes. That's why.

(or they fight iran in the climax :lol:)

Pardon to disagree but I think hornets a really neat looking. Tomcats are great too of course. Well it's hard to find a non pleasing looking American aircraft. Maybe X-32 is the worst.

#7035 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0540 AM

another Top Gun movie for me to ruin for the normies. Last time I saw it my friend was shocked to learn the big fight would've been over sooner in reality due to Phoenix missiles.

#7036 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0553 AM

Also curious what the space suit rig he seems to be in for a few shots (when talking to the admiral and when sitting in the cockpit at 1:23) is all about.  Maybe that's how the movie starts out - Maverick is a test pilot and he's being told he's going back to the fleet for one last hurrah?

I worry you may be right...

Also the line at the start is kind of non-sensical: "you have been promoted up to Captain, but we haven't applied the up or out with you and haven't kicked you out while others have fallen because... Tom Cruise!"

What a waste of Ed Harris, he should have been leading some Recon Marines...

#7037 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 58,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0556 AM

I think it will be great. I just think its going to require putting your disbelief in neutral before buying a ticket.

Im glad they brought back the REAL star from the first film, the F14. :)

#7038 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0607 AM

Well, it's flying away in the trailer, don't raise your hopes...

#7039 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 58,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0636 AM

No, he actually lands it on a carrier. If you see the link I posted up, they set up a scene where he has to take the barrier. From another source, his RIO is the son of Goose.

https://www.thedrive...crash-barricade

The livery its painted in is reminiscent of the scheme some of the Iranians have used (they have a similar Phoenix symbol). So the theory is, he is going to HALO skydive into Iran (or some unnamed country off the indian ocean) and steal a Tomcat. Im not quite sure why. Maybe the USN regretted crushing them all?

https://www.thedrive...un-2-set-photos

I found another source suggesting the aircraft used was moved by truck to a location (I forget where) that featured a HAS in a mountainous area. So either its Iran, or they managed to recruit a gang of degenerates and veterans together to bolt one back together for one last mission. Presumably they nicked it out of Davis Monthan when nobody was looking.

All very silly, but I dont care, shut up and take my money!

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 19 July 2019 - 0636 AM.

#7040 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0655 AM

Maverick bringing the F-14 back to kick some commie ass for one last time is pretty much an internet fanboi's dream come true in all honesty. If they could get the USS Iowa and a Tiger tank in there somehow then they'll have achieved perfection.