7213 replies to this topic

#7101 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,444 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 1150 AM

a race against time is one of the calssic movie plots. Depends what they make of it. That his brother is in the other battallion is maybe laying it a bit thick.

#7102 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0120 AM

But plot-wise: looking at the casualties in frontal assaults, and other, 1600 men "walking into an ambush" just seems strange.
Can we guess that there is/are other important person/s among the 1600?

#7103 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 1450 PM

Agree that it looks like Dunkirk in terms of style. A new British way of filmmaking war.

#7104 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0201 AM

Actually I thought Dunkirk was pretty good. You dont always have to watch heads exploding to have a realistic view of combat.

OTOH, 1917 does look desperately uninspiring. I hope they pull something out of the hat.

#7105 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0348 AM

Dunkirk was fine as audiovisual experience, but as a war movie it felt like bunch of well-equipped re-enactors had their exploits filmed. It felt so small, little blood, sweat or dirt. Like they were on smallish beach with couple of ships and maybe hundred extras, and one aircraft making an attack or two. No craters, no bodies, no AAA...

#7106 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0457 AM

I dont know if we watched the same movie. There is at least one scene where a guy gets blown to bits by a Stuka delivered bomb. As for blood, I think Hollywood have gone into a cull de sac of showing far too much of it. Since Saving Private Ryan they have been heading down that road, and ignoring interesting and relevant stories and compensating by showing a combat experience.

As for AAA, im not sure there was any, other than ship mounted. If there was a lack of realism, its that a spitfire is seen from the beach and they all cheered it. In reality the Army hated the RAF, because they couldnt see what they were really doing, stopping the Luftwaffe getting to Dunkirk. There was very little evident overhead coverage as I understand it. They were actually stopping RAF personnel getting on the ships at several points.

Is it as good as the 1958 version with John Mills? No. But its still a good film. I was struck by the fact you didn't see one German in the whole film. You didnt really need to either. I felt it did a really great job at showing the desperation and lack of hope of those on the beach. I feel it helped me understand much better what my Grandfather went through.

But hey, just my opinion.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 07 August 2019 - 0459 AM.

#7107 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,581 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1213 PM

I dont know if we watched the same movie. There is at least one scene where a guy gets blown to bits by a Stuka delivered bomb. As for blood, I think Hollywood have gone into a cull de sac of showing far too much of it. Since Saving Private Ryan they have been heading down that road, and ignoring interesting and relevant stories and compensating by showing a combat experience.

As for AAA, im not sure there was any, other than ship mounted. If there was a lack of realism, its that a spitfire is seen from the beach and they all cheered it. In reality the Army hated the RAF, because they couldnt see what they were really doing, stopping the Luftwaffe getting to Dunkirk. There was very little evident overhead coverage as I understand it. They were actually stopping RAF personnel getting on the ships at several points.

Is it as good as the 1958 version with John Mills? No. But its still a good film. I was struck by the fact you didn't see one German in the whole film. You didnt really need to either. I felt it did a really great job at showing the desperation and lack of hope of those on the beach. I feel it helped me understand much better what my Grandfather went through.

But hey, just my opinion.

While I mostly agree, Dunkirk felt like a disaster movie rather than a war movie, more like Escape from the Poseidon given the lack of context, but it works precisely because of that.

#7108 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1246 PM

Yes, that's an interesting comparison. I don't disagree fwiw.

#7109 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1540 PM

The short Dunkirk scene in Atonement (2007) though is first class, even though there is not much action:

#7110 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 1229 PM

So. I never saw the original Lion King, and went to see the new one in cinema. Wasn't too shabby, and computer generated stuff you see onscreen is nothing less than mind-boggling, kept saying to myself (quietly) " *That* part must be live action, right?"

Read afterwards that story-wise much is missing from the new version. So now I am actually looking forward to seeing the original. :)

#7111 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 1243 PM

I've read the original animators are really unhappy Disney remade it. Accused Disney of selling out.

#7112 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 1743 PM

Italian production about a civil servant that will do anything before losing his for life job.

Some social criticism of the Italian public sector and of life in Norway.

Very hilarious.

Edited by sunday, 18 August 2019 - 1745 PM.

#7113 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1202 PM

Pakistani version of Top Gun. Doesn't look bad actually.

https://m.youtube.co...5&v=icV2qnxgvmA

#7114 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,444 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1256 PM

By happenstance I was in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this week. Good movie. Not groundbreaking, but a funny kind of alternate 1960ies Hollywood. Fun to watch, but it feels more like a slice of life kinda movie. 

#7115 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1459 PM

By happenstance I was in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this week. Good movie. Not groundbreaking, but a funny kind of alternate 1960ies Hollywood. Fun to watch, but it feels more like a slice of life kinda movie. 

I've seen the character played by Brad Pitt in that movie compared with a typical John Wayne role.

#7116 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1512 PM

Heard what they did to Bruce Lee. Kind of a sore spot with me. But otherwise I heard it is a big f u to modern Hollywood as much as it is a love letter to Old Hollywood.

#7117 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,272 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 1636 PM

So Kristen Stewart goes into the Abyss.

#7118 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 0251 AM

Heard what they did to Bruce Lee. Kind of a sore spot with me. But otherwise I heard it is a big f u to modern Hollywood as much as it is a love letter to Old Hollywood.

His daughter is really not happy with it, says it makes him look arrogant. Tarantino launched into a rant about how everything he read said he was arrogant, which to my mind is his traditional response to criticism.

#7119 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1202 PM

I clearly have to see this....

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=CvhJnD-AHOo

#7120 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,581 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 1357 PM

Pakistani version of Top Gun. Doesn't look bad actually.

https://m.youtube.co...5&v=icV2qnxgvmA

They don't drop the drop tanks becuase then they will have to pay for them?

How does a self kill work, you get 2 credits? :D