9 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 1109 AM

Looking at pictures of the current Afghanistan conflict, I'm struck by the variety of different desert camo patterns worn by the various nations (US, Britain, Germany, France, etc.). Is there any one or more patterns that could be said to be the most effective?

#2 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,931 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 31 October 2010 - 1134 AM

Depends a lot on where you are.

#3 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,050 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 31 October 2010 - 1541 PM

Depends a lot on where you are.

And how much you move around.

#4 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 0147 AM

The US Army for example, has adapted a universal camo pattern scheme which is designed to allow stealthy super-tactical concealment in nearly any living room:

Posted Image

#5 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 2209 PM

The US Army for example, has adapted a universal camo pattern scheme which is designed to allow stealthy super-tactical concealment in only a single living room.

IFIFY.

#6 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,931 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 0511 AM

What I think is more interesting is how many countries showed some modicum of common sense and just adopted a knock off of either the US 3-Tone or British desert camos, rather than take their standard greens and change the colours *cough* DPDU *cough*

#7 SCFalken

SCFalken

Eagerly awaiting the return of Feudalism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • Interests:Geological Engineering

Posted 02 November 2010 - 0805 AM

I've always liked desert Flecktarn and the Italian Vegeta.

Falken

#8 DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan

Land Ironclad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 1108 AM

Desert flecktarn was concepted after the UN mission in Somalia, and IMO it works fine in pure deserts and the kind of environment you find in AFG. However my personal favorite for real deserts has always been desert DPM. Photos are always not the best source for identifying camo purposes but some really made soldiers in DPM totally blend in any sandy surroundings.

#9 CV9030FIN

CV9030FIN

Former FDF tanker - current FDF PowerpointRanger flying the desk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  • Interests:Tactics, technics. prosedures, technology and history related to armored warfare.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 1240 PM

Desert flecktarn was concepted after the UN mission in Somalia, and IMO it works fine in pure deserts and the kind of environment you find in AFG. However my personal favorite for real deserts has always been desert DPM. Photos are always not the best source for identifying camo purposes but some really made soldiers in DPM totally blend in any sandy surroundings.

Troppentarn (aka Wüstentarn or Desert Flektarn) And its cousin M04 Desert works very well IMO in AFG as there is a lot of areas where is occasional green spots found near every stream of water (think of Helmand green zone but in miniature scale) that are a lot more common in Northern parts of AFG that in south. In fact there is quite few real deserts in north - Northern Plains are more like south Russian type steppe with mountain scrubland. Biggest problem when concerning concealment is in fact at least along Finnish troops is all the gear that is on the BDU's and is OD/RG...

Posted Image

In Southern -South eastern AFG (minus the Helmand river valley aka the Green zone) there is real deserts to there I would choose either British DDPM or Swedish M90K.

#10 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,931 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 1141 AM

The problem with those desert with green splotches is they're neither fish nor fowl.

Take that picture fr instance, the green is totally unnecessary there, yet in the green belts, the whole idea of a desert camouflage is pointless.

I'm a big fan of Australian DPCU in the green belts, it is just right (in many respects it is a proto-multicam)
Of course it is getting replaced with DPMP which is sure to suck balls, but it will look cool... <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users