110 replies to this topic

#81 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 1330 PM

75 years ago today, Lancaster R5868 S-Sugar completed its 100th Mission.

https://www.flickr.c...05/46903587905/

#82 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 1342 PM

The fascinating life and death of  B24 Tulsamerican.

We have a Liberator Drive and memorial (both recently opened)  in Kirkwall named after this aircraft that crashed there:

#83 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 1359 PM

Thats very interesting. I knew they used B24's for OSS operations, I didnt know they had used them over Norway.

#84 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 0552 AM

The East Kirkby Mosquito did a short taxi run, after a test of the rebuilt starboard engine, last month. The port engine ran last year, for the first time in 70 years.

https://youtu.be/nVeG2Go6L8k

25 minutes of fettling and then engine starts. The taxi run is in the last couple of minutes and is very brief...

#85 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 0558 AM

They have a merlin engine in their collection which they got from Switzerland. Apparently they bought it as a spare for their mosquito in the 1950's, but it was never used. Its still in the original box, and only ever ran on the test stand. which is about as original as merlins get.

They also reputedly have a Hampden there, which their long term aim is to restore to flight. Id love to see that.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 May 2019 - 0558 AM.

#86 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 0846 AM

http://warbirdsnews....o-normandy.html

After almost 18 months of planning, fundraising and training, the D-Day Squadron, the American contingent of Douglas C-47 and DC-3 transports participating in Daks over Normandy, is about to embark upon their journey to Europe to celebrate the 75th anniversary of D-Day. On May 19th, the D-Day Squadron will depart Oxford-Waterbury airport in Connecticut and head East to cross the Atlantic along the original Blue Spruce route. There will be a full week of activities to kick off this event, including a special Squadron flyover of the Statue of Liberty. All the details can be found HERE.

The list of airplanes taking part is changing regularly, as is understandable when juggling such a monumental challenge. Some teams tried until last minute to get their aircraft ready to take part, but the complexity of the mission, the logistical challenges and the enormous costs involved inevitably took a toll with some having to cancel their participation. The following is the ONLY OFFICIAL list approved by the D-Day Squadron at this time marking which aircraft will participate…. as they like to call it…The Mighty Fifteen!

#87 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 0921 AM

Original ME262 to fly. For one flight only, which with the original Jumo's I can entirely understand.

http://warbirdsnews....t-unveiled.html

#88 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 0814 AM

Fairey Barracuda. https://www.bbc.co.u...merset-48553262

#89 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 1133 AM

I remember seeing the half completed example at Yeovilton when I visited some years ago.It will be great to see it finished. At the same time I was also rather stunned to see a complete Fairey Fulmar. I thought ALL of those had gone.

#90 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 1803 PM

According to the Hungarian State News Agency (MTI), a Me-109G in a very good condition unearthed from a swamp(?) near Ballhausen, Thuringia.

Not so glorious photos in this German article

#91 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,990 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 0023 AM

They have a merlin engine in their collection which they got from Switzerland. Apparently they bought it as a spare for their mosquito in the 1950's, but it was never used. Its still in the original box, and only ever ran on the test stand. which is about as original as merlins get.

They also reputedly have a Hampden there, which their long term aim is to restore to flight. Id love to see that.

If you come to Vancouver we can fill that want and a side of poutine as well http://www.canadianf...ey-page-hampden

#92 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 0134 AM

I deeply admire what they have done with that aircraft, but they really want to get a shelter built around it.

#93 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 0136 AM

According to the Hungarian State News Agency (MTI), a Me-109G in a very good condition unearthed from a swamp(?) near Ballhausen, Thuringia.

Not so glorious photos in this German article

Restoration project if they can prove it had a combat history. Spitfires and Hurricanes have been rebuilt from far less.

I noticed there is a bunch of guys who are going to build a new Me-109K from scratch, which would also be worth seeing.

#94 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0257 AM

Combat Veteran Hawker Typhoon under restoration to flight.

https://hawkertyphoon.com/

#95 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 0643 AM

Silver Spitfire arrived in Japan today.

silverspitfireJapan.jpg

Edited by JasonJ, 21 September 2019 - 0644 AM.

#96 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 0855 AM

Blimey, that didnt take long.

Whilst im here, I thought this was pretty good.

#97 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 0507 AM

A veteran is reunited with a Mosquito.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 09 October 2019 - 0508 AM.

#98 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 0517 AM

75 years ago today, Lancaster R5868 S-Sugar completed its 100th Mission.

https://www.flickr.c...05/46903587905/

From memory, but did the Lancaster have Merlin engine variants and radial engine variants?

#99 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 0522 AM

Yes thats right.

There was 3 main marks, the original B1 that had RR Merlins. The BII had Bristol Hercules Radials if memory serves, and many had an oversize bomb bay for carrying the larger bombs. Many of them also had a ventral turret like the Lancaster prototype, which seems to have reduced casualties from 'Jazz music' attacks. They didnt make many though, I think it was only something like 320 or so. They were only developed in case of a shortage of Merlins which never materialized.

The BIII was packard merlin engined, so you could move between a BI and a BIII just from an engine change, which seems to have been the case with S-Sugar mentioned above. They were identical to RR engined lancasters, but for some reason the Packards had a tendency to get hot when running on the ground some time, Ive no idea why.

Interestingly the BBMF Lancaster has a mix of Merlin types, including some packards IIRC, which would make it a BI/BIII. :D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 09 October 2019 - 0523 AM.

#100 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,579 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 0944 AM

Now that's something you dont often see....