147 replies to this topic

#61 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 0645 AM

Are you modelling any hard kill active protection systems this time around?

Active Protection Systems are really difficult to model, given that most of them have reaction times well below the typical time step for a real-time simulation.

Edited by Ssnake, 17 June 2019 - 0646 AM.

#62 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1528 PM

Oh... my.... God.....

#63 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 1225 PM

Some highly dubious statements over at Rock Paper Shotgun...

#64 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 1256 PM

This Nils guy is talking out of his fourth point of contact. ;)

No seriously. the interview made me wonder:

Is there a use for the rather limited real-time raytracing capabilities of the newest generation of nVidia graphics cards to simulate fragment flight paths?

#65 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 1448 PM

No. Maybe one day we'll include it as a way to ramp up the capacity to handle bigger numbers of fragments but what we have is sufficient for a 155mm howitzer battery, or a couple of 122mm Grad launcher; for the time being we don't need it, and our .mil users would need to acquire the necessary hardware first and declare that they have an explicit demand for such functionality. Up to this point our work on the new HE model could serve as a textbook example of habitual German overengineering.

I believe though that once that our users can directly experience it, the feature will grow on them.

#66 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0614 AM

No. Maybe one day we'll include it as a way to ramp up the capacity to handle bigger numbers of fragments but what we have is sufficient for a 155mm howitzer battery, or a couple of 122mm Grad launcher; for the time being we don't need it, and our .mil users would need to acquire the necessary hardware first and declare that they have an explicit demand for such functionality. Up to this point our work on the new HE model could serve as a textbook example of habitual German overengineering.

"Overengneered" is a term used only by lesser engineers motivated by envy.  ;)

I believe though that once that our users can directly experience it, the feature will grow on them.

Give the user what he needs, not what he says he wants. 

#67 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0816 AM

If you combined omniscient surveillance with AI equipped weapons, things would get really interesting. Even doing half the job and simply networking your drones to relatively unintelligent DGPS guided munitions or unguided cargo rounds carrying BONUS/SMArt will make things highly problematic for armour. For almost everything else, networking to mobile 120mm mortars shooting unguided ammunition would do.

#68 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 1329 PM

We invested some time to make snow cover look prettier:

#69 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 0124 AM

Finally, the web shop is ready to take preorders - with a nice discount, and a pre order-exclusive surprise item. :)

#70 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 0417 AM

It's very pretty, but why did you go with individual rockets appearing in the pods one at a time? AFAIK pods are loaded onto the vehicle pre-loaded. Sadly, as I'm sure you know, Finland didn't adopt the bomblet rockets for MLRS which had originally been planned as a replacement for AP mines - I'm glad they're still an option in game though. I thought you said you weren't going to do the recce Fennek, or was that just a playable vehicle? I love that it's in the game. Now where is my payment card? :)

PS: Brace yourselves. An order is coming.

#71 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 0713 AM

It's very pretty, but why did you go with individual rockets appearing in the pods one at a time?

It's called an abstraction.

The alternative would have been not to show any animation at all, or a longer time of inactivity representing the delay between dumping the empty pods in one location, then picking up full pods from a different place. And to show it completely faithfully would mean to have soldier standing around guiding the pod loading process, full pods on the ground, the vehicles maneuvering themselves in a location to dump the used pods here and to pick the new ones up over there, without (ideally) having to move the vehicle, etc.; a substantial complication for comparatively little gain.

I showed it because otherwise few people would ever even know that it was there, even if an MLRS would be supporting them - from some 25 kilometers behind the player's location.

#72 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 0714 AM

Oh, and: The Recce Fennek has been in SB Pro since 4.0, just not as a playable vehicle.

#73 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 1031 AM

Oh, and: The Recce Fennek has been in SB Pro since 4.0, just not as a playable vehicle.

I've spent quite a lot of time on the Luchs in game. A very playable vehicle with dismounts giving you some interesting options both for recce and sneaky attacks, ambushes etc. IIRC it didn't get the APDS-T that was available for the Marder in game. I always wondered why that was.

#74 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 1108 AM

Probably because there were still piles of 20mm DM43 in stock, and they probably expected the Luchs to shoot less, and more from short range with ambush tactics. In which case the DM43 would still have been adequate against BMP-1/2, BMD, MT-LB, or BTR.

But I'm speculating here.

Edited by Ssnake, 28 June 2019 - 1109 AM.

#75 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 0315 AM

Presumably it would be easy for one of the Gods of SB to add APDS-T as a user selectable option if the right rituals were performed to the insane piping of infernal flutes, when the stars were right?

#76 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 0332 AM

How could I possibly resist the invocation of a Lovecraftian reference?

Iä! Iä!

#77 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,032 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 0945 AM

:D

#78 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 0949 AM

And it's done. For the successful summoning of a lesser being, make your sanity rolls please and then deduct 1d8 /1d4. You gain +1% in mythos knowledge.

#79 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1405 PM

That news makes me want to dance mindlessly, by the light of a cold and sickly flame - preferably with a multitude of blasphemous, formless abominations. Sadly, I will be confined to my captors' brain jar until my ethereal transit from icy Yuggoth is complete.

#80 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0806 AM

An old video, but this capability is just amazing to me.